E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average. Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #81
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
I still have my original cooling system except the for pump and thermostat but decided to order all the parts for a cooling system refresh anyways to avoid being stranded and having to get it towed. If this was something such as the final stage resistor or the AC belt I would just wait for it to break and then replace it. But its a huge hassle being stranded, paying for towing, and being without a car for a week while you wait for the parts. Plus we get -30C weather here in the winter and I rather not have to attempt this job in the middle of winter and rather just do it now while its still warm.

Plus I noticed some white residue on my ET such as in this photo.

adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #82
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Looks like a leaking cap. $10.00.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #83
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
Looks like a leaking cap. $10.00.
Mine is not leaking from the cap, just has the white residue. Its not my photo.
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #84
Mr Podman

Got it.

If you have white residue on the expansion tank and it is not leaking from the cap there are two other possibilities.

1) You spilled some on it when you last filled it.
2) You have a cracked and leaking expansion tank.

Clean it off and see if it comes back. If it does, you have #2 above.
It is important to check your coolant level every day right now, while you are diagnosing this problem.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #85
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
Just turned 180K! Thermostat went bad at 30K and the pump was leaking and the shaft was wobbling at 114K. So, a new thermostat and Stewart pump went in. Everything else is original!
Now at 12.5 years and 194K. Same status as above. As before, I'll be sure to let everyone know when it finally takes a dump! Oh yeah, green stuff since 114K.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #86
breadvanracing

My Ride: E46 328Ci, Z3 MC
109k miles on a 2000 328Ci. Replaced a failed thermostat, and swapped in a "gently used" (60k miles) water pump from my M Coupe when I upgraded that to a Stewart. I keep a spare WP in the trunk. Radiator is original, as is the expansion tank, I just check everything regularly. I think the cooling system concern is a genuine one, overheat a BMW at your peril, but it is also overplayed too...... it is a very simple system to work on, and being observant and replacing items as they fail/show signs of failure is not a problem for me. At least for this car, I'm a little more "preventive" minded for my M Coupe.

The "ticking time bomb" is not being stranded at the side of the road...... that is what saves you. The problem is when you try to make it home with the needle in the red. ;-)

Incidentally, my E34 just crossed 300k miles and is on its third WP, 2nd ET and the 2nd radiator just started to show white residue at the plastic/aluminum seals.
breadvanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #87
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvanracing View Post
109k miles on a 2000 328Ci. Replaced a failed thermostat, and swapped in a "gently used" (60k miles) water pump from my M Coupe when I upgraded that to a Stewart. I keep a spare WP in the trunk. Radiator is original, as is the expansion tank, I just check everything regularly. I think the cooling system concern is a genuine one, overheat a BMW at your peril, but it is also overplayed too...... it is a very simple system to work on, and being observant and replacing items as they fail/show signs of failure is not a problem for me. At least for this car, I'm a little more "preventive" minded for my M Coupe.

The "ticking time bomb" is not being stranded at the side of the road...... that is what saves you. The problem is when you try to make it home with the needle in the red. ;-)

Incidentally, my E34 just crossed 300k miles and is on its third WP, 2nd ET and the 2nd radiator just started to show white residue at the plastic/aluminum seals.
I don't see how that is the original system if y'all replace the two most critical parts.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #88
breadvanracing

My Ride: E46 328Ci, Z3 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
I don't see how that is the original system if y'all replace the two most critical parts.
I never said I was on the original system. Was just detailing what I had done, in comparison to some who had replaced everything.
breadvanracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #89
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadvanracing View Post
I never said I was on the original system. Was just detailing what I had done, in comparison to some who had replaced everything.
No doubt you can leave in old parts and be fine. But seriously.. it's chump change. Why risk it? you're going to risk your engine over a few cheeseburgers? Also by re-using old parts, you are using weakened seals. Ask long-time member ///MPR77 (300,000+ miles, a few complete cooling system replacements-lesson learned) what he thinks about re-using old parts. He might be able to tell you what happens when you re-use a hose...

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 09-18-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #90
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
I'm still 100% good. Debating just doing a coolant flush at the end of this season, so I can piss Mango off even more.

120k and counting, build date 10/98!
So, it was midnight, you had a few drinks, and decided to resurrect a year-old thread to try to rustle Mango's jimmies?

One good thing came of it. I checked my coolant level and found it low by about a cup. Looks like I've got a slow leak in my water pump gasket.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #91
Mr Podman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Looks like I've got a slow leak in my water pump gasket.
Replace the entire front end of your car.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #92
halo0

My Ride: '02 330i 5mt
lulz

^Click, stop by and say hi.^ ------ 5% off Redline leather
halo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #93
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
Replace the entire front end of your car.
Since I have to take it off to get to the water pump, I might just do that.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
Old 09-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #94
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
So, it was midnight, you had a few drinks, and decided to resurrect a year-old thread to try to rustle Mango's jimmies?

One good thing came of it. I checked my coolant level and found it low by about a cup. Looks like I've got a slow leak in my water pump gasket.
that would be a good name for a bar

what do you say? partners?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #95
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
Re: Who else still has the original cooling system?

I do! 78k miles on my 02 M3!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #96
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
that would be a good name for a bar

what do you say? partners?
How about "Mango's jimmies Wild Irish Pub"? We can serve Guiness by the quart.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #97
FryGuy

My Ride: 2001 325Cic w/ B30
Who else still has the original cooling system?

I always wondered if perhaps the reliability of our cars' cooling systems had anything to do with us putting the green stuff in instead of BMW blue. I was thinking that maybe after 70-80 thousand miles of the green stuff it might wear down our plastics just enough to cause damage.

Last edited by FryGuy; 09-18-2013 at 09:15 PM.
FryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #98
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
Who else still has the original cooling system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryGuy View Post
I always wondered if perhaps the reliability of our cars' cooling systems had anything to do with us putting the green stuff in instead of BMW blue. I was thinking that maybe after 70-80 thousand miles of the green stuff it might wear down our plastics just enough to cause damage.

It should always be blue with the coolant. Common sense. Lol

trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #99
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
How about "Mango's jimmies Wild Irish Pub"? We can serve Guiness by the quart.
sounds good to me. DMAX can be bouncer

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 09-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #100
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryGuy View Post

I got my coolant flushed at the dealership around 60k miles. That's a big reason that I haven't done anything as PM yet. That, and 3 other cars that need parts to keep them on the road, never mind PM.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dmax furry convention, ghetto thread is ghetto, incur the wrath of mango, mango is watching you all, rustbucket thread