E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
physerv24

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
EWS Manipultion Protection Code

Greetings to all. New to the site and would greatly appreciate some input from the veterans. I have a 2005 330I ZHP with 70,000 miles. Recently I've been having random starting issues with the car. Not cold starts, but rather re-starts after short trips. The engine cranks fine but takes several attempts to start. The only code that has shown up is a EWS Manipulation Protection code. I've replaced the ignition coils, fuel filter, spark plugs and the intake boot. The problem is very random but extremely frustrating. Don't like others seeing my BMW struggle to start! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Have two keys and the issue happens with both keys. This morning, I started the car and it had a very rough idle and threw a multiple cylinder misfire code. I shut it off and started it with a different key and it ran fine with no codes. Drove it about 8 miles to post office and when I came out of the post office it took about 4 times cranking to start the car. No check engine light though. Any other suggestions.

Last edited by physerv24; 02-14-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: updated info
physerv24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
bad key? try a different key?
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
physerv24

Thanks for the reply. I've got two keys and it happens with both of them. I read that it may be possible that the EWS and DME may need aligned but when I called the "stealership" they indicated that they would have to do a complete diagnostics check. I only have one dealership in my state which stinks!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
The EWS is a theft prevention black box under the dash. It's connected to a wire coil around the ignition switch in the steering column that senses the key in the ignition. Further it's matched against the DME in the car. Once the EWS is matched to the DME it can only be used with that DME (at least from BMW's perspective).

While I'm not familiar with that code you're receiving I am aware that using BMW programming tools you can update the software in the DME, whitch would correct any possible bugs in software, and you can recalibrate the EWS module with the DME. It's also called an EWS/DME realignment.

I would say your problem is either with EWS/DME calibration or there is a wiring fault between the coil that reads your key and the EWS unit.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///

Last edited by TitaniumCranium; 02-14-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: i matched the dme to the dme... oops
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
physerv24

Is it possible for me to do the "realignment" myself or would the tools to perform this only be available to dealers? Seems if there were a calibration problem, it wouldn't start at all rather than these random issues?? The code is 2737 (using the fault code reader sold by Bavarian Auto) "EWS 3.3 Manipulation Protection".
Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
One of the things the EWS does if the key is not right or incorrectly read is it disables the starter so you would not be able to crank. Since cranking is not one of your problems I think you are wasting your time investigating the EWS/DME. Clear the error log and check again periodically for fresh codes.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Mine was a physical problem rather than electronic. Short starts worked fine; long starts worked fine. But intermediate starts at about the one hour later time frame took a long time to crank and catch. And the key is, mine smelled like gasoline when I started up after cranking for a while.
I figured it was leaky injectors that flooded the engine short term, so I replaced all my injectors. Problem solved.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumCranium View Post
The EWS is a theft prevention black box under the dash.
It is actually a *white* box
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #9
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
It is actually a *white* box
it is actually a *whitish grey* box
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
physerv24

Many thanks to all who responded. This forum is great. I'll continue to monitor to see if any other codes pop up. It's been going on for over 6 months off and on. Just worried one of these times it might not start at all.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
If synchronizing is what you're looking for, inpa can do it, although I doubt. That's your issue. It's simple as this, as far as my experience with the ews having successfully coded a transponder to my own ews. It has no thing to do with it. When I had issues with my car where it would crank but not turnover over, it gave me ews errors too. I know it's been over 7 months since you commented but you might want to look at your fuel situation. Fuel filter or pump. Mine was the fuel pump.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Might as well give all the options so people can know what controls they can program and plan in advance to customize just the way they want.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf carkeyconfig.pdf (56.7 KB, 344 views)
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
fuel filter?
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

Lol you're right
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 10-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
NumbaOneNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
fuel filter?
Probably not the filter. More like the pump