E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
johs02

My Ride: E53 X5 3.0i
Very strange noise at start up, take a look!

Listen to this recording of a cold start noise, with comments,

It's from a 2000 328i,
The owners comments:
About 3 weeks ago I start hearing a noise from underneath the engine area, only during cold start-ups. It was like a vibration / grinding noise, lasting a few seconds, which will not repeat on warm engine. In the meantime the noise got louder and longer, and it can be heard also when shifting from P to R or P to D (automatic tranny).

I went to a few mechanics and the answers I got were:

Grinding starter -- changed with no luck

Vibrating transmission -- changed one broken shock absorber

Vibrating exhaust -- straighten and tighten some fins

Noise from torque converter, flywheel or inside the transmission. I didn't commit on any yet as I don't know where to tell them to start. I am afraid of paying more by doing trial and error, than just replace the tranny with a rebuilt one.

There is no error code and no slippage or anything else other than this noise, again on cold engine only. BTW about 2 months ago I did a fluid and filter change but didn't use the oem products.

I made a clip by sliding my phone underneath the car. You can hear the noise at start-up and then again when I shift from P to R.

My comments:
This is not the typical belt/tensioner problem. Not the vanos rattle, not likely to be the alternator. It is not the secondary air pump because I have the same noise in my X5 here in Europe and we do not have pumps on our cars. It is maybe related to the not OEM transmission filter starving the torque converter, but why only when cold start after resting for hours. I also have a non OEM filter after a ATF fluid change some weeks ago, Anyone with experience around this strange sound.

Anyone?

Thanks.

Last edited by johs02; 10-18-2012 at 09:20 AM.
johs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
When mine is cold, I occasionally hear a sort of "chirp chirp" noise. It's random, but tends to happen more when it is cold. Sometimes it's kind of audible, sometimes it's quiet.

It sounds very close to this, particularly at 0:18. It is much less loud than that, and lasts shorter, but the noise is very very similar.

Do you think it might be your starter doing something similar?

Last edited by Zell; 10-18-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
johs02

Maybe your right but it is a different sound and shorter, I beleive it can be then "bendix" gear in you starter, the little gear engaging the flywheel during starter operation and when it releases after the engine starts it hangs up just little to long and you get a little "ping" "scurr" noise from it. It will occur when you let go of your key during startup. If it is the starter, it is very little you can do about it, either it disappers or the this noise continues until you need a new starter. Just a guess.

Make sure your battery is fully chraged and up to speed so starter has a normal function.

The problem we have is also present when we shift from P to R or P to D, so it can be transmission related and a much more serious/expensive problem. Just during cold start , only in the morning or after resting for several hours and definetly not a starter issue.

Last edited by johs02; 10-18-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
johs02

Well found it!

See post at: http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-opinions.html