E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,552
My Ride: JDM
Well, let this be a lesson if you plan on getting another E46. PPI is mandatory. And don't PPI it at the dealership you're buying from or an affiliated one. If they say "Oh yeah, bring it to this shop, they'll do a PPI" DON'T bring it to said shop. Gaudy mods like headrest LCD's and ghetto crap like that usually means the owner doesn't give two asses about maintenance. Just driving a BMW and bumpin for the hoes. Oil changes are the least of their concerns.
__________________
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #22
FastCHAZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Inland Empire - CA
Posts: 197
My Ride: 02 325ci
quick question for you gus though. Lets say im buying another e46.
The one I have now I gt from guy on craigslist. I tried that approach
would it be better to get this one off a used car lot or from an actully bmw dealer
which probably wouldn't have the 01-05 body style which I like.
__________________

Last edited by FastCHAZ; 10-05-2012 at 02:00 PM.
FastCHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #23
325inthe510
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Best Coast
Posts: 6,315
My Ride: 152ci of madness
Damn, threads like this make me happy I paid a little more for a car from a single owner who got everything done at the dealer
__________________

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,552
My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
Damn, threads like this make me happy I paid a little more for a car from a single owner who got everything done at the dealer
__________________
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #25
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
 
tock172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,921
My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
Damn, threads like this make me happy I paid a little more for a car from a single owner who got everything done at the dealer
My car was exclusively dealer serviced for it's first 100k. The PO was still clueless though. Once I got the car, I still had the regular e46 laundry list. No bent frame rails though
__________________


1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #26
FastCHAZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Inland Empire - CA
Posts: 197
My Ride: 02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Well, let this be a lesson if you plan on getting another E46. PPI is mandatory. And don't PPI it at the dealership you're buying from or an affiliated one. If they say "Oh yeah, bring it to this shop, they'll do a PPI" DON'T bring it to said shop. Gaudy mods like headrest LCD's and ghetto crap like that usually means the owner doesn't give two asses about maintenance. Just driving a BMW and bumpin for the hoes. Oil changes are the least of their concerns.
EXACTLY this guy didn't do ANYTHING to the car. Now that I know. it was fun cruising around in the bimmer bumpin for the "hoes" though, they liked it. lol i rather have one the functins 100% normal. well my e46 does but works well enough that I didn't have to put as much as I dd into it.
__________________
FastCHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #27
FastCHAZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Inland Empire - CA
Posts: 197
My Ride: 02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
Damn, threads like this make me happy I paid a little more for a car from a single owner who got everything done at the dealer
One of the lucky ones.
__________________
FastCHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #28
Redryan98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 242
My Ride: 07 Legacy GT 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCHAZ View Post
quick question for you gus though. Lets say im buying another e46.
The one I have now I gt from guy on craigslist. I tried that approach
would it be better to get this one off a used car lot or from an actully bmw dealer
which probably wouldn't have the 01-05 body style which I like.
Imo, no. I wouldn't buy from a used car lot unless you get a damn good warranty or the car has service records with it. You won't know the history or be able to ask previous owner questions. Think about it, when someone has a car that's giving them problems, their likely to trade it in for something else. The trade in ends up going through the auctions and than ends up on some lot. Of course this isn't true in all cases, but im sure a large percentage of the time, people dump their cars when they have issues and cost too much to replace.

Better option (IMO) is buy private party, but only from someone who looks trustworthy, has service records, and will consent to a PPI. That's what I did, and its been one of the most reliable vehicles I've owned.

Good Luck Op

Last edited by Redryan98; 10-05-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Redryan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #29
tcphoto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,068
My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
Am I in the minority? All the upgraded wheels, stereos and body work can be quite attractive but I prefer to care for my car from the inside out.

How do you shop for a vehicle? Do you start the engine on just to turn on the stereo? A test drive is not done in order to see if anyone is watching you or check out your reflection in the glass storefronts. Experience will teach you that a car salesman or private owner will slap a little lip stick on a pig in order to make a quick sale. A smart buyer will look it over carefully, drive it and the pay about $200 for an Independent Garage to put it up on a lift and see what the real condition and value of the car is. That $200 can save you ten times that in heartache down the road.

After nearly three years of ownership, I will admit that the E46 has it's bugs but it's been quite reliable as a daily driver. Mine had 104K on it when I bought it and I'd recommend one to anyone but you have to be smart, do your research and not be afraid to get your hands dirty from time to time. I started reading a few BMW forums a few months before I bought mine and it helped me a great deal when I actually started looking for one.
tcphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #30
FastCHAZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Inland Empire - CA
Posts: 197
My Ride: 02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Am I in the minority? All the upgraded wheels, stereos and body work can be quite attractive but I prefer to care for my car from the inside out.

How do you shop for a vehicle? Do you start the engine on just to turn on the stereo? A test drive is not done in order to see if anyone is watching you or check out your reflection in the glass storefronts. Experience will teach you that a car salesman or private owner will slap a little lip stick on a pig in order to make a quick sale. A smart buyer will look it over carefully, drive it and the pay about $200 for an Independent Garage to put it up on a lift and see what the real condition and value of the car is. That $200 can save you ten times that in heartache down the road.

After nearly three years of ownership, I will admit that the E46 has it's bugs but it's been quite reliable as a daily driver. Mine had 104K on it when I bought it and I'd recommend one to anyone but you have to be smart, do your research and not be afraid to get your hands dirty from time to time. I started reading a few BMW forums a few months before I bought mine and it helped me a great deal when I actually started looking for one.
well before I got it I knew nothing about this forum or any other bmw forum. basically what I did wa rely on carfax, the guy was a dj had a nice home a few other nice cars in the driveway. he seemed like a real good guy ya know. but I test drove it only ting on the dash was the air bag light. which i just learned the fuse ws blown a few weeks ago lol. but it was clean everything worked fine. I only messed p cause I never drove a manual e46 only automatic ones the clutch was slipping. I've driven manual cars before but i thought maybe t was different cause it was a bmw.
__________________
FastCHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #31
KOpower
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 524
My Ride: 325ci
you live u learn - find cheap ways to fix everything if u can
__________________

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #32
vilseck21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In La La Land
Posts: 237
My Ride: B_Cryus's mother
-You bought a BMW at the prime for major overhauls, and your bitching about it. If you buy a car a 113K expect to have to put a lot of money in it. The reason why owners sell cars just above 100k is they know maintenance is coming, but don't want put money into the car. Sounds like you should have bought a Hyundai
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:36 AM   #33
FastCHAZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Inland Empire - CA
Posts: 197
My Ride: 02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilseck21 View Post
-You bought a BMW at the prime for major overhauls, and your bitching about it. If you buy a car a 113K expect to have to put a lot of money in it. The reason why owners sell cars just above 100k is they know maintenance is coming, but don't want put money into the car. Sounds like you should have bought a Hyundai
sounds like I also said I had knw idea & that I know alittle more what
im doing a little more now too.
speaking of hyundai, I test drove the new geness
coupe. the R-Spec is so nice!!!!!
__________________
FastCHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #34
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,624
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbound View Post
That's crazy. What did the pre-purchase inspection say when you had it done?
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #35
dreyo27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 869
My Ride: 2001 325ci
Actually guys cars shouldn't go this bad with age... i have a beater commute 05 prius with 192K on the clock, not a single thing is wrong with it, feel free to pull up the carfax, i always serviced it at my dealership and its oil changes and tires....
Washed title is easy, take a salvage car and register it in a state that has rebuilt title option, then transfer the rebuilt tile car to california, since CA doesnt have rebulit title, they will give you a title with nothing written in the top left where it should say Salvage.
Other thing ppl do is buy a wrecked, completely destroyed vehicle on a salvage auction for cheap. Steal a similar vehicle, cut weld the Vin plates, little bit of paint, and register under the wrecked vehicle VIN. CHP (California Highway Patrol) passes a certain amount of vehicles through a Verification Inspection, but its mostly JDM cars, hondas and toyotas, (discrimination) and even then usually they don't catch on.
(btw the FR-S is nice, stiff, no body flex if any, low center of gravity light weight, LSD, and.... completely underpowered. However there is a rumor that there is going to be a turbocharged Toyota product by 2014... FR-S???)
__________________
dreyo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #36
aahmed2016
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jonesboro, GA, USA
Posts: 759
My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spents $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
This is now my sig.
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use