E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
mvs2

My Ride: 03 M3
Quick review : Megan racing muffler

So I installed my Megan racing muffler today, ( TI-tips ) Over all the muffler looks good, well made and the tips look great ! ( pics to come )

The muffler is quite a bit lighter than the stock monster ( did the removal and install alone ) The Megan muffler is still not extremely light ( around 30 lbs ).

First thoughts :

The install went smoothly, everything lined up and bolted up without much of a fight. I ended up using the old bolts as they are longer than the ones provided and allowed much more of the nut to thread on.

The finished product leaves the tips pointing downward a bit so I'll have to see what I can do to lift them up a bit ( maybe loosen the hangars a bit? )

Sound :

Initial start up I was quite please with the grunt...Low rpm movement is deep...and sounds like a fart can honda. However, at higher rpm and full throttle it sounds amazing soon as the bit of rasp kicks in and reminds you that your driving an M3 and not an Integra.

Finishing :

The low rpm note leaves you disappointed to say the least, I have to admit a little embarrassed..

Mid range - high rpm is great.

Keep in mind there is likely some " breaking in " that needs to be done and also the rest of the exhaust is STOCK. I am praying that with the addition of my AP headers this will help the low end exhaust note a bit.. really praying.
mvs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
wannasupra

My Ride: 2006 Hayabusa
vids.
wannasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
mvs2

Vids tomorrow ! I'm hopeful the headers will turn it back into an M3.

Also smells like a steak on the BBQ good ol muffler break ins.

Last edited by mvs2; 09-23-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Get an AR20 welded in section one. No more rasp.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Cardboat

My Ride: Bmw e46 m3
I've had mine for a few months and I have noticed a change in the low rpms note over time. And yes, very impressed with the highs.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
FTLAUDM3

My Ride: M3, Z4
Get some ar20 or rasp killer installed. It kills the fart can sound and makes it sound nice and deep. I bought the whole cat back. Removed section two and using OEM. Perfect setup. I love the sound. As for fitment my tips point downward as well. If u can make it look straight provide instruction on what you did. I tried and could not get it to point level. Its a great exhaust for the money. Its an AP racing clone. Heard they are made in the same factory and just have a different name put on the tips.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
mvs2

The only trouble is I love the raspy sound. I'll see how it sounds with the headers and go from there.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #8
alkemyst

My Ride: 06 TiAg M3 ZCP 6M
AFAIK, Megan Racing's stuff is not made at any of the major brand factories, but that is the story for everyone of their products it seems.
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
UncleXSO

My Ride: 2003 M3
I installed mine two weekends ago as well. Exact same complaints with low rpm sound. So I ordered a Modbargains rasp eliminator section. I will post before and after vids of that once I get it.
UncleXSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
UncleXSO

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quick update. If someone wants a video, I will see what I can do about uploading one here. Never done it before so it could be a new learning experience. So I installed the Rogue Engineering rasp eliminators. I am happy to say they were about 90% successful in eliminating the rasp and about 95% successful in eliminating that fart sound. I am very happy with the sound quality and sound level now....

FYI, the rear 6 bolts on this pipe section were completely rusted and seized. I had to cut them off witha cutting wheel and get new bolts in there. In case someone else is looking to get into this project soon.
UncleXSO is offline   Reply With Quote