E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
tehcbass

My Ride: bmw e46 323i
Send a message via Skype™ to tehcbass
Coolant getting drained quick

hey guys

i recently got the collant yellow light on my 323i so i checked it, and t was completely drained!

i wasted half the coolant bottle filling it.

this was yesterday.

today i checked it again and it wasnt drained all the way but it lost about 1/4 gallon of coolant.

so i filled it.

i also have white spots around the coolant cap.. appear to be spills of some sort.

does anyone have an idea of what the cause might be?

i searched it up and so far i have (water pump, radiator, thermostat, or hoses)

thanks

Long Nights and Sandy Beaches
tehcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
See sig, do it all.

Ah, crap, wait. You have a leak, find the leak, replace what is leaking. Probably expansion tank, but it could just be a faulty cap. Pressure testing is the best method.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
ToMuchFun
Banned User

My Ride: E46 325i
More than likely a small crack in your expansion tank, check all your hoses? Maybe a small leak in your radiator, try putting some black pepper in there, I had 2 small leaks in radiator and black pepper has been holding up for 3 months now
ToMuchFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMuchFun View Post
More than likely a small crack in your expansion tank, check all your hoses? Maybe a small leak in your radiator, try putting some black pepper in there, I had 2 small leaks in radiator and black pepper has been holding up for 3 months now
lol seriously? where did you get that idea from?

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
ToMuchFun
Banned User

Learned it from pops, not supposed to be a permanent fix, it just plugs those little leaks up, I'm waiting for that day to come when the coolant light comes on but it still hasn't

Last edited by ToMuchFun; 10-04-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Learned it from pops, not supposed to or a permanent fix, it just plugs those little leaks up, I'm waiting for that day to come when the coolant light comes on but it still hasn't
haha, that's cool. Can't hate on temporary fixes.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
ToMuchFun
Banned User

I'm hoping it's going to last me threw winter, if not I got the money set aside
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
tehcbass

alright thanks guys, im going to check the expansion ank.. if it is that, what do i do?

Old 10-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
ToMuchFun
Banned User

If its the expansion a tank just order one online and swap it out, it's not to complicated to do, don't take it anywhere as they'll tell you you need an entire new system, and that would run you about $1200, expansion tanks are less that $100 online
Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
You could rework your whole system for $700 and an afternoon.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
tehcbass

the thing is that im broke like i only got around 100 bucks to spend

Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehcbass View Post
That's fine. You'll just have to do some good investigating to make sure you replace the right part. All of the cooling system parts are less than $100 individually except the radiator, so you are okay.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Drives BMW. Less than $100 in bank account.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
No, he doesn't want to spend more than $100. I can buy a whole cooling system right now, I have plenty, but I'm not because I'd rather keep the money around.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
ToMuchFun
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Don't gotta be rich to drive a 10 year old car
Old 10-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Don't gotta be rich to drive a 10 year old car
No, but you do have to be smart enough to realize things are going to break on a 10 year old German car and that they're going to cost more than $100 to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
No, he doesn't want to spend more than $100. I can buy a whole cooling system right now, I have plenty, but I'm not because I'd rather keep the money around.
That's not the impression I got:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehcbass View Post

Old 10-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP...could've sworn you had a post on the same thing a couple of days ago. I don't want to bore you with all the details, but first, you can get an ET for under $100 online, but you don't know if that will fix your problem.

You might fix it for a $1 o-ring. It usually is the ET, but that doesn't mean it is.

For now, clean up your car, get it to op temp in your driveway...and find the leak. You can't afford Mango's solution, but you should read his sticky and a few other long 'cooling system' threads...do thread title search (click advanced search).

For you to fix your car and not ruin it, you need to learn enough to be able to diagnose your issue.

A leak is one thing...there might be a reason you had the leak. Have you been driving long enough to see the car overheat more than once? If so, you need to stop doing that. Don't drive the car until you fix the cooling system.

A head gasket is maybe $1000. Head another $500. Block issues...new engine...$3-5,000

Read threads until you want to throw up...actually, until you throw up...you need to feel a chill in your body. A fear. Trepidation. A sense of dread. Then some more throwing up.

Mango's thread is where you begin, but you need to read more. You need to have these symptoms...the chill, dread, puking! Figure maybe 4-5 hours of studying.

Then, go to car and start it, find and fix leak! I know you can do it because it sounds like you have to! Also, there are about 200K of us here...but a good 20 or so who will pitch in and not be too obnoxious!

I can't do too much more in cooling threads anymore as reading them makes 'me' feel cold now...and I'm old...and don't like being cold!

I'll check back...but you can do it. Read, learn, and show your cooling system you know what's up.

Also, remember that when preparing for the repair, the DIY will seem far more difficult than it usually is...and you learn how to put together by taking apart.

Feel the zen of it all...you'll love being done and all good! For now, get to the throwing up part first!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 10-05-2012 at 06:39 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
MercForHire

My Ride: sold...
I believe in cheap fix. Find the leak and plug it.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #19
tehcbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
OP...could've sworn you had a post on the same thing a couple of days ago. I don't want to bore you with all the details, but first, you can get an ET for under $100 online, but you don't know if that will fix your problem.

You might fix it for a $1 o-ring. It usually is the ET, but that doesn't mean it is.

For now, clean up your car, get it to op temp in your driveway...and find the leak. You can't afford Mango's solution, but you should read his sticky and a few other long 'cooling system' threads...do thread title search (click advanced search).

For you to fix your car and not ruin it, you need to learn enough to be able to diagnose your issue.

A leak is one thing...there might be a reason you had the leak. Have you been driving long enough to see the car overheat more than once? If so, you need to stop doing that. Don't drive the car until you fix the cooling system.

A head gasket is maybe $1000. Head another $500. Block issues...new engine...$3-5,000

Read threads until you want to throw up...actually, until you throw up...you need to feel a chill in your body. A fear. Trepidation. A sense of dread. Then some more throwing up.

Mango's thread is where you begin, but you need to read more. You need to have these symptoms...the chill, dread, puking! Figure maybe 4-5 hours of studying.

Then, go to car and start it, find and fix leak! I know you can do it because it sounds like you have to! Also, there are about 200K of us here...but a good 20 or so who will pitch in and not be too obnoxious!

I can't do too much more in cooling threads anymore as reading them makes 'me' feel cold now...and I'm old...and don't like being cold!

I'll check back...but you can do it. Read, learn, and show your cooling system you know what's up.

Also, remember that when preparing for the repair, the DIY will seem far more difficult than it usually is...and you learn how to put together by taking apart.

Feel the zen of it all...you'll love being done and all good! For now, get to the throwing up part first!

yea thank you man, ill make sure i do what you said.

well, im off to throw up.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
I believe in cheap fix. Find the leak and plug it.
I believe in yuking.

Tags
mango is watching you