E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
powerfreak1

My Ride: 04 CB/Cinn M3
Inspection Light

Hey guys,

On the dash of my car I have the Inspection Light right when you start the car up showing a negative mileage mark. I recently changed the oil and thought I could just reset this. I called a BMW place this morning and they were like that is because you need either Inspection I or Inspection II. I have had Inspection I done way back from the previous owner at 30k. My car now has 56K on it and am curious if he was right I would need Inspection II to get this to clear from my dash?

I thought that there was a plug in under the steering wheel to reset all this and that would be all i need to do after an oil change? Please help me out?

-Jake
powerfreak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Are you srs........Go get an inspection 2.....its not just an oil change. You are ruining you car as we speak.

800$- Indy shop
1300-2000- BMW
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
powerfreak1

How am I ruining the car? Its not at 60k yet. NVM to the thread, I found the maintenance thread on M3forums.net. Inspection II at 60k.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
powerfreak1

Anyone know a place in MD that is reputable to do an Inspection II? Besides a BMW dealer?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
ChrisRedmon

It could need a valve adjustment by now. If you neglect the inspections. You will ruin the car. Sarli (or something like that) Sarli motorsport MD. The owner....knows everything. EVERYTHING I TELL YOU. Im fairly certain i read somewhere that the car will tell you it needs an inspection. When it needs an inspection. Regardless of the 60k mark. If it needs it before hand....get it done. 60k is the maximum im pretty sure.
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
ChrisRedmon

How many negative miles are you?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
powerfreak1

Thanks for the shop, calling them today. I think its -1100. But just stopped driving it last week for the winter here. Because I plan on doing Inspection II and doing the SMG to 6MT conversion.

Thanks for your help man. (am a new e46 owner so I am trying to learn)
Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
ChrisRedmon

I also live in MD, its not to cold! These cars take a good amount of research to know what you are getting yourself into!

Good luck man! You wont be disappointed with the 6mt <3

Old 10-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
You can reset it yourself. But you need an inspection. It doesn't matter how many miles you have, that number you are seeing adjust to how hard you drive the car. Take it to a well respected Indy shop or do it yourself. It's not just an oil change.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
powerfreak1

Thank you for the feedback, I am getting the inspection II done monday. I am doing a lot of it myself to learn all about the car. I just am getting the Valves adjusted by a BMW master mechanic on the side.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
Cayne23

My Ride: 2002 m3 convertible
I too live in md. Theres a shop by me called autowerks. They do great work
Cayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote