E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #21
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I am sorry about this man. I know you were killing yourself to get to that last Autocross, and place for the season. I also understand wanting to take the risk, because even if it is not thousands of dollars in winnings, it is a personal victory in auto racing. How many people even get to say that? I autocrossed for years, and came in second once, and that was enough to keep me going. But I was young, and underfunded. If I could have afforded a balanced and blueprinted engine, which was the extent we were allowed to upgrade, then I may have been competitive. But the HP between a stock engine and a balanced and blueprinted one was enough to keep you out of the running in stock Miatas. We are talking about a 20hp+ advantage. And if you did not spring for the LSD, it was all but over. So, I understand the desire to place. This is really your call, and I would not fault you either way. Let us know what you decided!
I forgot to ask, what happened to your original reinforcement?

Last edited by MJLavelle; 10-07-2012 at 01:37 AM.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #22
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
coming home from my last autocross, i hit something on the interstate. it bent the cross memeber, raped my power steering lines, and ripped my splash guard.
since then (about a month ago) i've been working on rebuilding the steering system with everything including the updated 330 rack.
the last step that was supposed to be the easiest was to remove that reinforcement and put a new one on. of course the easiest things always seem to give me the most trouble. the second bolt sheared off and that's where it sits today.
i'm going to the autocross tomorrow at 7 AM. i've worked my ass off! and i've worked too hard and spent too much time and money not to go. it's been a very annoying trip working on my steering system. but i've got it mostly done.
i do have this annoying bumpsteer problem now which i'm going to make a thread on but other than that it's all good.
i'll definitely let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. i'll post a video as well. thanks for your help
Old 10-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #23
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
Bro prayton from harness to ps lines to this you've come a long way to get to this auto cross but what I'm saying is that my car never had that reinforcement bar at all weirdly
Old 10-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #24
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
coming home from my last autocross, i hit something on the interstate. it bent the cross memeber, raped my power steering lines, and ripped my splash guard.
since then (about a month ago) i've been working on rebuilding the steering system with everything including the updated 330 rack.
the last step that was supposed to be the easiest was to remove that reinforcement and put a new one on. of course the easiest things always seem to give me the most trouble. the second bolt sheared off and that's where it sits today.
i'm going to the autocross tomorrow at 7 AM. i've worked my ass off! and i've worked too hard and spent too much time and money not to go. it's been a very annoying trip working on my steering system. but i've got it mostly done.
i do have this annoying bumpsteer problem now which i'm going to make a thread on but other than that it's all good.
i'll definitely let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. i'll post a video as well. thanks for your help

Did you get the ZHP rack? Did you buy a reman one from RackDoctor?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #25
peytonracer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian172 View Post
Bro prayton from harness to ps lines to this you've come a long way to get to this auto cross but what I'm saying is that my car never had that reinforcement bar at all weirdly
...really? what year and do you have any pictures? the newer e46 had a different style reinforcement. more like a plate.

oh and i'm gonna be in melrose park for my autocross tomorrow! that's sorta kinda close to you. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Did you get the ZHP rack? Did you buy a reman one from RackDoctor?
yes. and rich was EXTREMELY helpful. you can read about it in my thread about the power steering not working but to summarize, he basically held my hand through getting the system started again when i had no one else to help me. it was nice.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 10-07-2012 at 01:53 AM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #26
Russian172

Quote:
...really? what year and do you have any pictures? the newer e46 had a different style reinforcement. more like a plate.

oh and i'm gonna be in melrose park for my autocross tomorrow! that's sorta kinda close to you. haha
Yeah it's just a shitty plate nothing serious looking like an actual 3 point reinforcement it's an 2002 but
Which reinforcement is better. ?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #27
peytonracer4

i assume the later one is better, but i personally prefer the earlier because you gain better visibility and access when working on the car.
is your like this:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...56&hg=51&fg=75
Old 10-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #28
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Ah, I just stripped out a bolt today as well. Not as bad as you have, but I still have the bolt head available. Don't worry, there are LOTS of screw extractor kits available in the market. For the most part, they all work really well, but an impact wrench is ideal for them. A strong drill will work as well. Heat is a good solution.

I am pursuing these solutions as well. It's nothing I need to do right now since I just wanted to look at something, but it's good to have these in your kit, particularly with the age of our vehicles
Old 10-07-2012, 02:29 AM   #29
Russian172

Quote:
i assume the later one is better, but i personally prefer the earlier because you gain better visibility and access when working on the car.
is your like this:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...56&hg=51&fg=75
Yup
Old 10-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #30
MJLavelle

Quote:
Sh!t. I forgot, we were just talking about this last night, and I even commented like 3 times in the damn thread. Sorry for asking again. I am heavily medicated, and off of my game. Not that I had much game to start with....
Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 AM   #31
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
If there are enough threads (2 or 3) visible in the hole, buy a cheap bolt the same size
and drill it hollow, then screw it in the hole, use the inner hole as a guide to run a bit
(Preferably a left turning drill bit. clear through the stuck bolt. Remove the guide bolt.
then soak with a good penetrating oil. Then buy a can of cold shot from a electronics store and using gloves
and all the right safety stuff put the red tube on the cold shot nozzle and spray it inside
the bolt. It will freeze the bolt to -70 which will shrink it enough to break it loose, if that
doesn't work using a bit JUST smaller than the threads in the hole, drill the bolt out.
The previously drilled hole down the middle will keep you going straight. Once that it done,
just run a tap down the hole it will remove all the remaining bolt if you got it thin enough...

Good Luck

Dave

Last edited by dwtaylorpdx; 10-07-2012 at 02:48 AM.
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #32
peytonracer4

Quote:
Sh!t. I forgot, we were just talking about this last night, and I even commented like 3 times in the damn thread. Sorry for asking again. I am heavily medicated, and off of my game. Not that I had much game to start with....
it's all good. i remember you mentioning in one of my threads a long time ago that you were sick and had issues keeping your car up for that reason.
how are things going?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #33
MJLavelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Ah, I just stripped out a bolt today as well. Not as bad as you have, but I still have the bolt head available. Don't worry, there are LOTS of screw extractor kits available in the market. For the most part, they all work really well, but an impact wrench is ideal for them. A strong drill will work as well. Heat is a good solution.

I am pursuing these solutions as well. It's nothing I need to do right now since I just wanted to look at something, but it's good to have these in your kit, particularly with the age of our vehicles
Unless it is a huge bolt, I would leave the power tools alone with a screw extractor. One of the reasons they can bite into hardened steel is because they are extremely hard, and therefore very brittle. They will snap if you just apply a bit of off center force on them. And if you break off an extractor, you are really fvcked, because you have to find something that is even harder than the extractor to drill it out.
Also, extreme cold, like freon, usually works better than heat. Heat makes things expand, which is the last thing you want when trying to remove something that is stuck. If you don't believe me, then why do they offer this now?
http://www.accelerationkarting.com/wurthrostoffice.aspx
I have removed hundreds of broken fasteners in my manufacturing days. I can even say that I was the guy they looked for when they had one on the factory floor, even after I became an engineer, not to brag or anything. I just knew what worked, and had the patience for it.

Now, if you are dealing with a steel bolt in an aluminum part, then the combination of heating the aluminum and freezing the bolt does work well.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #34
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
Right now I am just dealing with a rounded-off bolt. I am looking at your basic left-hand thread extractor kit. If that breaks, it's not a problem - that can be removed relatively easily with a chisel or wedge. I have not yet dealt with a sheered off bolt head, but I should be prepared to do so. I agree with the freezing idea, much safer, better overall. Heat is as effective, but I feel safer using something that freezes.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:06 AM   #35
MJLavelle

Quote:
yes. and rich was EXTREMELY helpful. you can read about it in my thread about the power steering not working but to summarize, he basically held my hand through getting the system started again when i had no one else to help me. it was nice.
Again, I did read that too..
Will it work with a LF-20 pump? Because I just bought a new one for that fictional day when I am able to work on my car again, and I really don't want to pay the extra for an LF-30. Of course I could just call Rack Doctor and ask, instead of bugging you.
As for the health issues, not good at all. I just got some bad news about 3 weeks ago. I am considering some lab rat clinical trials now, but I really don't want to go that way, and if it was just me, I wouldn't.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #36
peytonracer4

I have not had good luck with extractors.
I did use a stripped head socket once. It's a socket specifically designed to remove rounded off bolts. It was awesome.
Come to think of it, I haven't seen that socket set in a long time. Lame.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #37
peytonracer4

Quote:
Again, I did read that too..
Will it work with a LF-20 pump? Because I just bought a new one for that fictional day when I am able to work on my car again, and I really don't want to pay the extra for an LF-30. Of course I could just call Rack Doctor and ask, instead of bugging you.
As for the health issues, not good at all. I just got some bad news about 3 weeks ago. I am considering some lab rat clinical trials now, but I really don't want to go that way, and if it was just me, I wouldn't.
I'm not familiar with the different PS pumps. Sorry.
That's no good. I've had very serious health issues in my young life but nothing life threatening. I wish you the best and maybe keep us updated for better or worse. You're one of the more helpful members on here for sure.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #38
MJLavelle

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the different PS pumps. Sorry.
That's no good. I've had very serious health issues in my young life but nothing life threatening. I wish you the best and maybe keep us updated for better or worse. You're one of the more helpful members on here for sure.
I will leave instructions for my wife to post something on here if I bite it.
Maybe you guys can make a pilgrimage down to pour a 40 and smoke a blunt over me, LA gangsta style. Anything else would be lame.
Also, you would have to do doughnuts and burnouts in the parking lot.

For you painfully white people, this is what pouring a 40 means:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...%20my%20homies

But seriously, I am not there now, and refuse to get there. Seven years ago on Monday, I was lucky enough to marry a beautiful Latina who is 12 years younger than me, looks after me in a way that makes mother bears look like wimps, is smart as Hell, likes most of the "guy" movies, TV shows, and activities that I do, and believes that work is a way to get the money to do the things we want to do, like seeing the world, rather than work being what defines your life.
I fully intend to take advantage of that for many, many more years.
Now, if I was still with my previous girlfriend, I may have refused treatment.

Right now, I just fly to CA when I am feeling really bad, since I can access specialized medicine there that I can't get at home, unless I choose to use Independent Pharmacutical Distributers here in NC.
But, I can't bring it home, unless I want to go with the prison importation route, which is a bit much for a 6 hour flight.
Thank God California has the sense to realize the just how useful it can be though. I really would not have tried that route if one of my doctors, several nurses, and a few fellow patients at the Mayo Clinic had not strongly urged me to try it. I really thought it was just an excuse for people to enjoy it legally. But it is amazing how well it can work. If you know anyone dealing with crap like this, convince them to visit CA.
The irony is that I gave it up 20+ years ago, along with drinking, because I needed to grow up and be responsible. Go figure. God has a weird sense of irony.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #39
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:

But seriously, I am not there now, and refuse to get there. Seven years ago on Monday, I was lucky enough to marry a beautiful Latina who is 12 years younger than me, looks after me in a way that makes mother bears look like wimps, is smart as Hell, likes most of the "guy" movies, TV shows, and activities that I do, and believes that work is a way to get the money to do the things we want to do, like seeing the world, rather than work being what defines your life.
I fully intend to take advantage of that for many, many more years.
Great that it's working out for you currently.
And you're in our prays for all to continue for you!
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #40
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
can you take a pix with your cell phone so we can see what we are working with?
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote