E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Question Trunk latch issue

I've searched the forums and haven't found anything addressing this issue. I recently purchased a 2004 325 convertible, and the trunk occasionally doesn't latch when I close it. It takes several tries before it latches.

Sometimes, when it latches, I get an indicator that the trunk is open. So I open and close the trunk until the indicator clears.

I have a manual top, if that makes a difference.

I can't imagine that this is the only E46 that has this problem. Anyone have a similar experience, preferably someone who solved the problem?
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
There are two torx screws on the latch that could be loose, or out of alignment, other than that possibly, an entire trunk lid adjustment.

However your problem may be unique to a vert, perhaps an owner can chime in if there are other possibilities specific to verts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 10-05-2012 at 09:00 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
LV DON

My Ride: 330ci
I have a vert and that happend to me to I mite just check that how do you do it
LV DON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV DON View Post
I have a vert and that happend to me to I mite just check that how do you do it
The adjustment?

If your trunk has never been removed, then i would start with the latch, as it is more likely to fall out of adjustment due to the fact that it engages the latch bar attached to the car.

1. Open your trunk, and inspect the latch mechanism protruding from your trunk lid.
You will see that it is attached by two torx screws...wiggle it, just a little bit, to see if there is play.
If there is any play at all, then you've found your culprit, move on to the next step.

2. You will need to snug the torx bolts, so that they are firm, yet adjustable... Try to eyeball it straight, before intial snugging.

3. Slowly close the lid while looking at the target which is the little bar latch, i will call it the male..If the female latch on the trunklid doesnt line up or catch the male, then hopefully under close observation you can make the necessary tweak, then snug it up nice and tight, something like 5ft/lbs.

It may take a few attempts, but its designed to mate, so be patient.

If the entire trunk lid needs adjusting, then look to both sides of the trunk hinges, which are attached by two torx on both sides. Notice that the there is a slide type hole, and a regular hole.

With this adjustment, the slide hole allows for forward/ backward tweaks. Having all four torx slightly loose will allow for left and right adjustment, but i have found that having them a bit snug enough to keep the winning adjustment in place long enough to open the lid back up to do final tightening.

That is the whole tricky part about an adjustment like this, because you have to close it to check it, and open it to tighten it down.

Hope this helps. GL.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 10-06-2012 at 01:36 AM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic
I have a vert and would occassionally get this issue which became more of a problem over time. I took the trunk apart thinking there was a latching issue; but manually testing the latch once I'd gotten it out, everything worked just fine.

Further searching led me to check the rubber stops on the lid. They screw into the lid. In my case, I had to back them out a bit (turning them counter-clockwise); but you can try either direction to see if it helps.

I also bought, but haven't installed, an upgraded pair of stops that are now available which are spring loaded.
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
wildirish317

I haven't checked the rubber stops yet, but think this might be related to the ubiquitous convertible glovebox issue.

When I bought the car, the glovebox was stuck closed. I was able to get it open with a small screwdriver, between the inner and outer latches, pushing the latch lever up, which released the glovebox.

I took the latch apart, soldered a loose wire to the micro switch which locks out the trunk, reset the worm gear drive, and reassembled everything. I can now open the glovebox only with the key, it opens on its own sometimes when I unlock the car, and I've got this problem with my trunk.

Long story short, when my trunk fails to latch, I've found that if I hit the trunk latch button on my key and then close the trunk, it latches.

I love my Bimmer. It's more challenging than my wife.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
Old 10-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Could also be that a wire in the elephant trunk...wiring loom to trunk lid...is broken. At some point, you might want to search me and 'elephant trunk' and check for the broken wire(s) and fix it with inline splice, solder, and shrink tube.

HTH

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
...Long story short, when my trunk fails to latch, I've found that if I hit the trunk latch button on my key and then close the trunk, it latches.
This was the exact symptom & temporary solution I had until I adjusted the bump stops.
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
It's the bump stops. Loosen them up a little bit. If you search I remember seeing a thread where you can upgrade them to spring loaded ones. The dealer sells them. Had the same problem. Took 30 seconds to fix.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
wildirish317

Loosening the bump stops seems to work. Thanks!

Now I just need to figure out how to get the glove box to let go of the trunk. Perhaps the wire I soldered back to the micro switch (in the glove box latch) was cut by the PO for this very reason.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
fixergal

My Ride: 325ci
I got rear-ended in my 325ci 2002 two days ago and only saw damage on the left rear panel but now the trunk doesn't always latch and therefore the top won't go up/down until I mess with the trunk. The insurance adjuster says this could not happen from the damage I sustained and I have to pay the dealer up front to figure out if it came from the accident. I never had a problem before the accident and I can get 50 people in my building to say I put the top down every day unless it's raining............it has to be from the accident plus there is a little tweak in the piece (popped out on the right side) that holds the light/key lock above the license plate that was never there. Some people have made some very unpleasant remarks insinuating that everybody wants to get everything wrong on their car fixed when it had nothing to do with an accident but the trunk latched fine before and now it's temperamental. I'm taking it in on Monday to have the rest of the damage fixed. My question: Do you think the dealer will back me up and make insurance pay to fix/adjust it, will they just plain be honest or will try to keep their bread and butter insurance co happy? What would you do? Thanks if you have any opinion or experience. I guess one should take time-coded photographs from every angle every morning or something. btw my car was in top notch shape.

Last edited by fixergal; 12-07-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: refine question
fixergal is offline   Reply With Quote