E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Quadrant5

My Ride: 2000 323i
Exclamation DIS Throttle Body Adaptation Problem

I know there are many comments about how to set adaptations using DIS. First a little back story. My engine started acting up. Turns out the TB was malfunctioning and sent the system into Emergency Operation 1, which limits my speed to 50 MPH. I changed the TB, reset the adaptations using DIS, and now the system is in Emergency Operation 2, which limits my speed to 20 MPH. Unfortunately, I need to drive to work and this is my only car. I'm bumming rides until this is solved. Please, anyone, throw me some info.

BTW, my car is a 2000 323i (E46). Just ask if you need more information to be of help.

Thanks for your help.

Quadrant5

Last edited by Quadrant5; 09-09-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Quadrant5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Quadrant5

Okay, so somehow I was able to reset the adaptations for the new TB, and now I am back to Emergency Operation 1, limited to 50 MPH. At least I can get to work now, even if not smoothly. I pulled some error messages, and here is what I have found:

INPA:

169 MDK output stage control after diagnostic failure

DIS:

A9 DME: Engine-throttle output-stage shutoff after diagn. error
Motor-driven throttle valve output stage cutout after diagnosis fault
Currently present

6E DME: Signal, pedal-travel sensor (in thr.), pot. 1 (OBDII: P1542; EUIII: P0220)
Short circuit to positive
--
Currently not present
Sporadic fault

70 DME: Signal, throttle sensor, potentiometer 1 (OBDII: P0120; EUIII: P0120)
Short circuit to positive or open circuit
--
Currently not present
Sporadic fault

I hope someone out there can recognize this problem. I need to get this thing working ASAP! PLEASE, any help.

Quadrant5
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Quadrant5

Okay, now things are worse. Yesterday I went to work just fine. Still without being able to break 50 MPH, but that was okay. I got there. Worked ten hours, got in the car and... disaster struck. I couldn't get the car to accelerate. It would go a little bit, and if I shifted at very low RPMs, I could get up to about 30 MPH in fourth gear. Even if I did that, as soon as I got "up to speed", the engine would coast back to idle RPMs and jerk the car around as it tried not to die. It took me about 45 minutes to get home while angering many a motorist stuck behind my jerking car. I just don't understand why it was fine on the way to work and junk on the way home? Anyone have any ideas yet?

Quadrant5
Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i
Sounds to me like your gas pedal isn't working right... Perhaps the sensor that watches how much you are pressing the pedal no longer works.
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
mxchris727

My Ride: E46, E39, E90, 911..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrant5 View Post
Okay, now things are worse. Yesterday I went to work just fine. Still without being able to break 50 MPH, but that was okay. I got there. Worked ten hours, got in the car and... disaster struck. I couldn't get the car to accelerate. It would go a little bit, and if I shifted at very low RPMs, I could get up to about 30 MPH in fourth gear. Even if I did that, as soon as I got "up to speed", the engine would coast back to idle RPMs and jerk the car around as it tried not to die. It took me about 45 minutes to get home while angering many a motorist stuck behind my jerking car. I just don't understand why it was fine on the way to work and junk on the way home? Anyone have any ideas yet?

Quadrant5
Maybe your new one is faulty. You need to delete the error code and then reset the adaptations. I would only use INPA for this. The "adaptations" button in INPA is hidden somewhere in the engine module page (I think under status).

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32 and PASoft with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
ISTA/D and /P with an iCOMM interface coming soon...
mxchris727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
mxchris727

Quote:

6E DME: Signal, pedal-travel sensor (in thr.), pot. 1 (OBDII: P1542; EUIII: P0220)
Short circuit to positive
--
Currently not present
Sporadic fault

70 DME: Signal, throttle sensor, potentiometer 1 (OBDII: P0120; EUIII: P0120)
Short circuit to positive or open circuit
--
Currently not present
Sporadic fault
have you replaced your accelerator module?

I have a computer set up with DIS, TIS, SSS Progman, INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP, Tool32 and PASoft with an EDIABAS interface; PM me if you want to stop by and code your car.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #7
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP, I wish I could help with the programming side of things, but I can't. I can, however, suggest that that round connector on the TB has given more than one person an issue.

First time for me too, I thought I had it on well, but I didn't. Evidently there's a way that you can have it appear and 'seem' on, but it really isn't.

If it helps, I know you can just get your hand down there to get at it and check if you remove the air filter housing.

Can you go back a bit and tell us how the TB was diagnosed as malfunctioning? I'm sure they've failed, but I can't recall of a thread on this and I read a lot. I know they get dirty and stick...I know the cable gets a little loose over time...anyway, might help...just in case the TB wasn't your issue.

Also, you'd replaced few fuel pumps also...so what was the final outcome of that? How long ago had you finished with that repair?

Other work you've done that you don't think is related...but which might be?

There are a couple here I know are computer masters, but don't know if they use your software or not--Cyberkaa and TerraPhantom--probably many others too.

dmax on the radio--answering all your car questions as best I can!
watsonnwatson.com every Wednesday at 9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 Click "Watch and Chat"
Please 'friend' me!
https://www.facebook.com/DMaxstandup
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
try resetting the throttle adaptation through the key, theres a pdf somewhere online
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Quadrant5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7iwp View Post
Sounds to me like your gas pedal isn't working right... Perhaps the sensor that watches how much you are pressing the pedal no longer works.
That could be. However, the sensor is built into the TB. Since the TB is new, that shouldn't be the issue.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Quadrant5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
Maybe your new one is faulty. You need to delete the error code and then reset the adaptations. I would only use INPA for this. The "adaptations" button in INPA is hidden somewhere in the engine module page (I think under status).
Thanks for the tip, Chris. Just out of curiosity, why only use INPA to reset? I am very interested in any comments showing the plusses and minusses of INPA and DIS.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
Quadrant5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchris727 View Post
have you replaced your accelerator module?
I am not sure what you are referring to. Wouldn't that be the TB?
Old 09-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
Quadrant5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
OP, I wish I could help with the programming side of things, but I can't. I can, however, suggest that that round connector on the TB has given more than one person an issue.

First time for me too, I thought I had it on well, but I didn't. Evidently there's a way that you can have it appear and 'seem' on, but it really isn't.

If it helps, I know you can just get your hand down there to get at it and check if you remove the air filter housing.

Can you go back a bit and tell us how the TB was diagnosed as malfunctioning? I'm sure they've failed, but I can't recall of a thread on this and I read a lot. I know they get dirty and stick...I know the cable gets a little loose over time...anyway, might help...just in case the TB wasn't your issue.

Also, you'd replaced few fuel pumps also...so what was the final outcome of that? How long ago had you finished with that repair?

Other work you've done that you don't think is related...but which might be?

There are a couple here I know are computer masters, but don't know if they use your software or not--Cyberkaa and TerraPhantom--probably many others too.
As always dmax, you give me some pause for thought. I'll have to look into these things and reply when I have more time (on lunch at work). Thanks for the input.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
Quadrant5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS330 View Post
try resetting the throttle adaptation through the key, theres a pdf somewhere online
Out of desperation I have tried that, even though I read somewhere that my year/model does not do that. It didn't help in my case.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
mxchris727

Quote:
Use INPA, I find that it (actually) resets the error memory and adaptations versus DIS, which just says it does (most of the time).

Last edited by mxchris727; 09-13-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
mxchris727

Quote:
I'm sorry, I just realized that you have a 323i that utilizes a mechanical throttle.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
Quadrant5

So over the weekend I discovered that I had continuity (with high resistance) between five of the electric contacts on my new TB. I guess that is why it was throwing so many error codes. I contacted the vendor and a new one is on the way. I was thinking I saw a schematic somewhere for the electrical side of the MDK, but I can't seem to find it now. Anyone know where I can find one? I'll post after I install the newest TB to let you know if I am able to fix the problem. Thank you all for your input.

Quadrant5

Last edited by Quadrant5; 09-19-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #17
Quadrant5

My new TB isn't much better. I tried to contact Hella directly, but have not got a reply. I think I will break down and take my car to the stealership this Friday. Will let you know what happens.

Quadrant5
Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #18
new//M3fan

My Ride: 78' 924 87' E30
I would first clear all DTC's then clear all adaptations using DIS.

Does your Throttle Body use a round connector or a 3 prong style connector? If it's a round connector make sure you are inserting the plug and turning the sleeve and locking it into position.

Last edited by new//M3fan; 10-03-2012 at 12:32 AM.
new//M3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #19
Quadrant5

Quote:
Originally Posted by new//M3fan View Post
I would first clear all DTC's then clear all adaptations using DIS.

Does your Throttle Body use a round connector or a 3 prong style connector? If it's a round connector make sure you are inserting the plug and turning the sleeve and locking it into position.
I have used DIS to clear all codes and reset adaptations. Still doesn't work right. I have the round connector, and I have checked and rechecked it. No problems there. My appointment is tomorrow. I'll post the results.

Quadrant5
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
Starless

My Ride: 02' 325i
Quadrant 5, try the instructions below. I was just reading about it today on another forum and saw your thread. This is a copy and paste from another forum. I do not have a personal experience with this. FWIW:

"When you replace the throttle body you are suppose to do the following.

1. Using a breakout box check the wiring from the DME to the MDK for open or short to ground.

2. If the wiring is correct then the MDK should be replaced. Important: After
MDK motor replacement, the DME adaptation values must be cleared.
Failure to clear the adaptation values will result in reoccurring faults.

3. Switch off the ignition off for 30 seconds.

4. Turn on the ignition and delete DME adaptations and fault code memory.

5. Press the accelerator pedal to wide open throttle (WOT) four times.
"
Starless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, dis, tb, throttle body