E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
ralf

My Ride: 330i
BMW e46 Easy integrated Bluetooth calls and streaming audio solution: parrot Mki9000

This is the evolution of the dated parrot ck3000 Bluetooth solution for our cars, itīs very easy to install.

With this solution you will have:
  • Much better quality calls (other call party will understand you when driving).
  • phone book synchronization, voice dialing and answering.
  • Bluetooth audio streaming (ad2p)
  • Steering wheel controls (avrcp) featuring: voice dialing, make and end calls, control audio tracks, control volume, access menu, control several inputs: USB, ipod (old connector), line in.
  • multiple phones connected at the same time.
  • Keep everything original.

Short story:
I was a happy user of delmarcoīs solution for Bluetooth calls using the parrot ck3000 evolution and connects2 harness, but call quality was bad, people did not hear me when driving, also no Bluetooth music streaming.

I managed to partially solve the music streaming issue adding a blackberry Bluetooth stereo gateway, but I could not skip or reverse tracks using the steering wheel, so I started to look for a solution similar to connects2.

So I found this:
http://www.justcarkits.co.uk/acatalo...p.html#SID=189

The JustCarKits harness kit comprises a parrot unika steering wheel control box and a plug and play harness for our cars.

On ebay, Amazon, etc. You can find a Parrot MKi9000 handsfree kit like this:

When you got both you will have a complete bluetooth solution.

This harness is basically plug and play, so you wonīt be guessing what goes where and what to do.

I will detail every harness connector in this picture:

Steps for installation:
You need to remove your current Bluetooth solution if you have one.
Get the blue box from the parrot Mki9000 kit.

Get the multimedia cable and the microphone.

You donīt need the supplied harness that comes with the parrot MKi9000 or the remote control but keep it for an option in installation that you might want to do.

In the justcarkits harness: connect the 24 pin connector to the parrot blue box
Connect the power. This is a black 4 pin connector that is separated from the 24 pin harness cables. Donīt confuse it with the audio line out cable!
Connect the multimedia cable. This cable will allow you to connect a 30 pin ipod, a usb memory or a line in audio plug.

finally connect the other multi pin connector to the unika box. Donīt worry, you will know which goes where when got everything.

Unplug the radio and put it apart.

remove the cowl in the drivers side to have access underneath the dashboard. Donīt bother trying to put the harness and box behind the glove box, it will not fit.

connect the radio harness 17 pin connector to the supplied harness, remove the aux in or cd player connectors first.

Connect the other end of the justCarKits harness to the back of the radio, but first move the connectors for cd player or aux in to the new harness if you have them.

Tuck everything below the dashboard in the driver side. I used a big tie strip to attach both boxes to a piping structural support above the small drivers glove box.

Use the flat base supplied with the double microphone, remove the adhesive cover and put the microphone on the stock mic location. This is the only part that will not look OEM in the car but the double microphone is great because it filters the ambient noise and allows your voice to be clear. Also the mic is directional, you need to point it at the driver side for better reception. The OEM location is great because it also requires to be about 2 feet away from your mouth.

Route the microphone wire through the A pillar to the Mki9000 and plug the jack turning it to lock in place.

Finally, route the multimedia cable from the glovebox (or you preferred location to the Mki9000

Youīre all set!

When you turn on the ignition, the unika module will self program for your kind of steering wheel controls which are:

• Talking head button to Answer & End calls. Also, to start voice recognition for out going calls (short push) (enter when in menu).
  • Track forward / backward buttons - for skipping tracks. Also used to enter Parrot Parrot menu: (Track Forward, Track Backward, Track Forward, Track Backward )
  • Also functions as Pause / Play for music from Parrot ( Track Backward, Track Forward)
  • Volume buttons for increasing / decreasing volume when handsfree and listening to music from Parrot

Turn on the ignition switch.

Pair your phone with the Mki9000 using the universal 0000 password.

Once paired you will hear a gong every time seconds after you turn on the ignition. Then you can play music from your phone, make calls, etc. If no sound comes from the speakers but you see the track playing on you phone do this:
  1. On your steering wheel access menu: Track Forward, Track Backward, Track Forward, Track Backward
  2. you will hear several options, navigate through them using the track buttons. select: bluetooth audio if you want wireless streaming, or the corresponding audio source if you have something attached to the multimedia cable.
  3. press the talking head button (enter).
  4. Done.

The call quality is amazing! because of the double microphone and a more advanced noise filter circuit your other party can hear you clearly even when youīre driving at high speed.

Optional steps once installed:

You can have an ipod or usb memory in the glove box and alternate between several audio sources.

Note: When youīre streaming music from your phone, your radio basically locks out, you cannot control music volume using the knob, only the steering wheel buttons work, also you cannot access audio options, change audio source etc. but there is a solution for this if you want the MKi9000 to route the music through the standard bmw aux in port (speed vol enabled) and handle calls as usual. (i will post that later).

When you stop the music the radio returns to normal operation mode.

This is the installation instructions sheet that comes with the harness:

I hope this is useful for you too!

Last edited by ralf; 04-14-2016 at 01:03 PM.
ralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
jazy_fresh

My Ride: 2002 330i 5 speeds
Can we get that from a US buyer, since it seems you got your kit from UK?
jazy_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
John in VA

My Ride: 328i/325xi/328iX
EBay has a UNIKA Steering Wheel adapter for sale in FL & MD.
'02 325xi
'00 328i
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
jazy_fresh

My Ride: 2002 330i 5 speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
EBay has a UNIKA Steering Wheel adapter for sale in FL & MD.
Got it thanks man
jazy_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:10 PM   #5
ralf

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazy_fresh View Post
Can we get that from a US buyer, since it seems you got your kit from UK?
I ordered from their webpage and received the harness by mail in a week aprox. for about $140. I do not know if there is a US distributor.
ralf is offline   Reply With Quote