E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #21
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecos View Post
I keep getting "PIN no touch" when trying to read the EWS. I cleaned the pins so many times I basically polished them. Any idea what the problem could be?

EDIT: figured out my problem. Pay close attention to the chip markings (not the dot indentation!). The arrow/dot on the AK90 needs to be opposite of the dot / EWS3 label and "upside down" relative to the text on the chip.

My chip was "upside down" when compared to the chip in the picture in the software.
But were you still able to fit the connector on to the chip? I had a friend who had an issue very similar to that. What i ended up finding out was that the wiring to his connector was reversed. To better describe it, imagine all the colors of the rainbow laid out from left to right. his wiring once connected to the chip was going from right to left. I used my connector with his ak90 unit and it was able to read the ews fine.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #22
thecos

My Ride: 2002 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
But were you still able to fit the connector on to the chip? I had a friend who had an issue very similar to that. What i ended up finding out was that the wiring to his connector was reversed. To better describe it, imagine all the colors of the rainbow laid out from left to right. his wiring once connected to the chip was going from right to left. I used my connector with his ak90 unit and it was able to read the ews fine.
Works great now that I figured out which way to put it on the chip.
thecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #23
NumbaOneNewb

I wanted to comment on a couple of things about the ak90. When installing, if you're having issues during the process it asks for a serial number and you can't seem to get pass that part, what you do is punch in whatever you want for the serial number but make sure you fill out the company or organization field. Leave no field behind. Oh, and if you are wondering where to buy an ak90,I for one will rent it out for dirt cheap under the assumption that you are an honorable person and will return it to me when you're done. I have another ews programmer so that's why I can can spare this. I don't charge a deposit so if you're renting it from me, please keep in mind if you don't return it, you're not only stealing from me but taking away from your fellow BMW brethrens
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
pppham

My Ride: 740il S500 330CiC
NumbaOneNewb, you mentioned you had another EWS program - can you share with us what is the name and how do you compare it to AK or EWS editor lite? Also, how do I go about to rent AK90 from you (I am willing to buy it if you want to sell)..... I am from NC and there are alot of BMW that I can help with this device.... Currently, I do have one key is not recognize by EWS and wanted to try on mine. Like you, I hate those basters at BMW and never want to get rape again from them.
pppham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
NumbaOneNewb

Hm. I do not plan on selling the ak90 because like I said its a tool I have put up as a community resource. You can rent it from me if you wish pm me if you want details. You must agree to return it because future e46 owners may find this useful. As far as my other ews programmer its the ews editor lite. Between the 2 they both have pros and cons. The ak90 claims to do ews 4 while ews editor doesn't. The ews editor gives much more capabilities in terms of changing info or gaining access to info neither the ak 90 nor pa soft can provide .with those 3 combined you can gain a lot of info. The ews editor is much easier to use but again limited in what ews it can change. Also read one of my other replies I did for your post on how to solve your delimna.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 03-23-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
thecos

Can ews editor pair a used ews to a dme/car?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:55 AM   #27
NumbaOneNewb

Well.... A guy name terraphantm told me that used ews and dmes can only be replaced in pairs because of the infinite possibilities that the random rolling codes could be. He said itd be almost impossible to determine what the rolling codes are , however, i have my doubts. I was given an ews 2 unit to experiment on and although those don't have the sophosticated rolling codes like ews 3, Im almost certain I could've paired it up to a compatible dme. I've been following what that terra guy has veen writing and as of recent, he is making claim that they are almost close to being able to virginize a bmw m3 mss54 dme, which is much more sophisticated than our own dmes, which at one point was also thought to be impossible but if they can achieve that, then pairing a used ews in conjunction with a virginize dme will be a piece of cake. Btw, why would you want to do something like that? The only reason would be is if your ews physically fried itself, which is extremely difficult to do.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #28
NumbaOneNewb

I believe for my next experiment, I will purchase a paired ews and dme unit. I will try to get the ews to sync to my dme and vice versa. I read this tis BMW article produced by BMW themselves saying there was a way but again, that guy terra said I misunderstood the verbage but it sounded pretty clear to me. He just seems to think that this random rolling code tables cannot be defeated. If we cannot defeat it, let's try to undermine or work around it. I want to try and trick it so itll end up giving up its secret to a different dme thinking the dme was its twin but had a slight case of amnesia
Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #29
thecos

Thanks for the interesting response.

I was just wondering if you could use used EWS or DME without replacing both as a pair.

Can you point me to where you read Terra's progress with virginizing a DME?

Thanks

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Bimmer App
Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #30
pppham

My Ride: 740il S500 330CiC
Thanks again NumbaOneNewb... as you mentioned, I thought Terraphantm said the Editor is not as good. Now, I fully understand why. Let me follow your other recommendation and I will get back to you. Currently in my group (Hickory, NC) we had total of 40ish cars from 3 to 7 series and we are all needing an extra key. Thanks again.
pppham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #31
NumbaOneNewb

Jesus. and here I thought I've met and know a lot of BMW's. well I guess over there you gotta group up. you guys surrounded by Honda's there too? lol. I would recommend you start organizing those who actually want a spare and have then order either the remote or non remote blank key with transponder. you shouldn't spend more than 20-30 on non remote and remote 30-40. the cheap Chinese counterfeits work just fine. I've bought 2 and know of others that also bought them. have them get their key copied and let me know I'll send it out to you. depending on how many you got to do this I may just lend you he ews editor for the simple fact that between ak90 and editor, after removing the ews, coding a key using editor would take only minutes because you only have to rub off the protective coating off one spot on the underside of the ews, while with ak90, its like over 40 tiny little metal pins on the mcu unit with a razor blade. however if you're needing yo do ews4 cars the I guess the ak90 will have to do.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 03-24-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #32
NumbaOneNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecos View Post
Thanks for the interesting response.

I was just wondering if you could use used EWS or DME without replacing both as a pair.

Can you point me to where you read Terra's progress with virginizing a DME?

Thanks

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Bimmer App

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ing&p=26152348

not really info on him actually showing that he's gaining ground but just him saying he is.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #33
BIG 5

My Ride: 97 540i
Hey guys. Just read this thread and I'm highly interested in contributing/learning.

I have a 97 E39 540. To make a long story short... after experimenting with an M5 cluster swap my EWS got out of sync with my DME so car cranks, but won't start. Keys work fine and I have diagnosed my problem down to my EWS 3.2 (with 2D47J mcu) ISN not matching my DME ISN. I have exhausted normal tools (GT1, Progman, PA Soft 1.4, NCS). There is a programming tool called AK-200 that can "reset" my EWS without desoldering the mcu but it is very expensive. My EWS does NOT have the rolling code newer beemers have so this should be easy right? Lol. I've seen conflicting info on whether or not the AK-90 programmer can read/write/reset the 2D47J mcu in my EWS without erasing it or worse yet damaging it. If I buy a new EWS coded from the stealer it'll be EWS 4.3 but I'm not sure if they'll try to sell me a new DME to boot for over $1k. Ok I'll shut up now and let the experts school me on the easiest way to get my EWS synced with my DME again so I can drive this baby.
BIG 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
NumbaOneNewb

I dont think your car isnt starting because of that. First off, have you tried to plug your old cluster back in and seeing if it will start? Second, do you hear your fuel pump priming up when you have your keys in ignition 2 prior to cranking?

The reason why I ask about fuel pump is because a couple of days after doing this, my car wouldn't start. It would crank. I read my error codes and got that error message about my ews and dme too. I thought I screwed things up. After sitting there frustrated in silence, I noticed I didn't hear my fuel pump priming. It was the culprit.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 07-16-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
NumbaOneNewb

Oh and another thing. The reason I don't think it's the ews is because had it been an issue with the random code not matching or being out of sync, when you go to try and start your car, you'd actually hear crickets. It wouldnt even crank because the ews would have not allowed your starter to even receive power or permission to crank.

Had you went to the dealer, yes, they would require that you get both dme and ews for they must be in pairs. In this case since you are stating its the ews being faulty, a new ews would have the rolling codes therefore newer dme would be required. Had it been the other way around, perhaps not

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 07-16-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #36
BIG 5

That's not necessarily true with the starter according to TIS. Let me add a couple details that I failed to mention previously. My non-start problem started after I could not write the VIN to my m5 cluster using PA-Soft 1.36. I've done this several times in the past with no problems. I ordered PA-Soft 1.40 since it had more capabilities and while I waited for it to arrive thats when I experimented in getting rid of the tamper dot with PA-Soft 1.36 and wrote the VIN from the M5 cluster to my LCM. Tamper dot disappeared. Great, but when I went to undo this (which I did), thats when I noticed the EWS had assumed the mileage of the M5 cluster and the starter would crank but car not start. I installed the original cluster and still car wouldn't start. I received PA Soft 1.40 and still couldn't write the VIN to the M5 cluster, but now I had a bigger problem with the no start.

I ran GT1 DIS V44 and V57 & Progman and it said that the keys were fine and that the DME & EWS were not a match. Error code 148 and it concluded that the ISN from the EWS did not match the ISN of the DME. After several failed attempts to sync DME-EWS I started reading in depth on how the whole process actually works from keys, EWS immobiliser, all the way to the DME sending the signal to allow starting. Qsilver from bimmerforums laid out the TIS document on EWS very well and everything is clicking according to that except for the ISN handshake from EWS to DME. My EWS 3.2 does not have rolling code so this SHOULD be easy, but here I am still car-less lol.

My fuel pump does turn on, the original cluster is in, my original EWS is in. Cranks but does not start. One last detail that I'm not sure matters here. 8 years ago my car was converted from auto to manual transmission. I noticed that the VIN of the DME is from the manual donor car while everything else has my original chassis VIN. Car has never had a problem until now. I am guessing the DME must have the manual donor car VIN to operate as a manual? I'm not sure if that is the problem since the car has been running fine all these years.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #37
BIG 5

One more detail: The car was never driven while all of this coding was going on so I'm lost on how the EWS got out of sync to begin with.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #38
NumbaOneNewb

Re: Ak90 DIY Code your own transponder and have your own BMW key

Indeed a lot more complicated than I thought. Hm... I dont have much experience with the ews 3.2 but I guess the only difference is the rolling code part. Let me think. On your car, what are the modules that store the cars zcs codes? On mine its the ike aka cluster and the ews. Now you said you did already reviewed both your modules to see if the coding are all correct and stuff right? I was thinking perhaps maybe some info that wasnt suppose to be there was transferred. Its funny you mention about the ews and dme perhaps not being in sync. Now you didn't mention anything about INPA. I do know that in inpa it has the option to either (its in german) sync ISN however I've never had to use that function so I cant say for a fact it'll work. Do the software you use have that option?

On a side note, if the ews job is to prevent unauthorized ignition of a bmw, what would be the point in having one if the car allows both fuel pump and starter to receive power and grant them permission to function? What then is stopping the vehicle from starting? If the dme amd ews were out of sync, shouldn't all access be denied at that point and your starter or fuel pump be denied power to come to life? If your car cranks and you can hear your fuel pump, what then is there left to stop the car from starting?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 07-16-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #39
NumbaOneNewb

Sorry, I just noticed something else you said. I may be wrong though. If say I was to switch my car to a manual, all it would require is for me to do is tell the cluster, gm module, and perhaps the ews through ncs expert that its a manual by both coding of the fsw file and through the zcs coding. You said you have pa soft right? How about this. The very first popup screen that shows up displaying your vin and other info, there is a list that shows options your car has. Do both columns list you as a manual (I think you might have mentioned this earlier. I've seen however cars running fine when one side listed as manual and other as auto. What's important is that the zcs coding both match, and the fsw readouts in both modules if they mention the transmission like my car be set for manual)

Old 07-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #40
NumbaOneNewb

One last thing. Are you sure the vin on your dme, the one you are saying that quite possibly could be from the manual donor car (which I have my doubts on) isnt in fact from the cluster you tried to swap? Regardless if the car was driven or not, turning the car to ignition 2 to prod and poke around will activate your modules which at that point allow them to communicate with each other. I have a feeling the vin to that dme is incorrect and if possible should be changed to your vin