E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Google Nexus rumors finally heating up

Finally, the last big round of Fall phone launches is shaping up. Google is changing things up this time, supposedly offering multiple Nexus phones from multiple manufacturers in an effort to increase adoption of the newest OS and combat fragmentation. Having more than one choice is always nice too.

Google Nexus rumors heat up – LG Optimus G Nexus incoming

Summary:
  • LG will start things off with an Optimus Nexus. 3 or 4 other manufactures will follow afterwards. Probably Motorola, HTC, Samsung.
  • -The LG will have:
    Quote:
    According to reports Google and LG will team up and launch their impressive 4.7-inch 1280 x 768 TrueHD IPS display packing smartphone powered by Qualcomm’s 1.5 GHz quad-core processor, with 2GB of RAM, 32GB storage, and even 64MB cache for media streaming — which will be a requirement for all the Nexus devices. They’re officially calling it the LG Optimus G Nexus — which I think could use some shortening. The rumor also states Google will announce the Nexus program later this month, and the first device will be released in early November — that being the LG Nexus.
  • OEM-added skins (Sense, Motoblur, Touchwiz) will become optional for the user through a "customization center."
  • The new phones will usher in 4.2, which won't be a major upgrade over 4.1. Features may include:
    Quote:
    These rumors also state Android 4.2 won’t be a massive change over Jelly Bean and instead offer improved power management, better battery life, improved UI tweaks, and a new Google Play Store — as if Google hasn’t changed that enough times already. The most important change could be the multiple homescreens will be changed to a tabbed approach. Overall this is a lot of rumors, tons to read into, and all highly unknown at this point.

I'm glad they're taking steps to reduce fragmentation. Can't wait to see what the other Nexuses... Nexi, or w/e will be like also.

Update - 10" Nexus tablet possibly in the works as well from Samsung:

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...,3972327.story

Last edited by jeffro3000; 10-09-2012 at 03:00 PM.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
motorolas skin barely even exists now. its closest to the stock android experience out of the box. would be interesting to see what LG can do as their phone market isnt really strong and those that have LG phones hate them

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
I have the Google Nexus S (..made by Samsung) and I really like the phone.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I have the Google Nexus S (..made by Samsung) and I really like the phone.
My gf just got that one after finally destroying her old no-case HTC. I really like the nexus S, Jellybean runs well on it. Only $160 from eBay, flawless condition.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Old 10-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
My gf just got that one after finally destroying her old no-case HTC. I really like the nexus S, Jellybean runs well on it. Only $160 from eBay, flawless condition.

Your g/f did good!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
jeffro3000

More details for the OS:

New Nexus Program

Rumor: As previously reported, any manufacturer can produce a Nexus device or a Nexus version of an existing device. They work closely with Google on the hardware and driver details (there is a more efficient solution for this in 5.0), but Google is responsible for the updates (don’t know how the carriers factor in). The phones don’t necessarily have to have “Nexus” as part of their name, it works more like a certificate like “HD Ready”.

The devices have to fulfill some basic requirements. The phone has to ship with a stock version of Android, it needs to have the hardware power to run all “Nexus Games”, and they have to support Google Wallet, aka have NFC.

There are two carrots on a stick that probably make the Nexus brand a huge selling point. Google Play gets expanded with a media streaming service component and there will be games that only work on Nexus devices. The streaming service uses the secure memory, making it harder to pirate the content. No word of the type or source of the media, but it seems to be a big deal.

New Customization Center

Rumor: There is a new Customization Center, where you can change ringtones, language packs, background, launchers, and so on. There is nothing too sophisticated (for now). The center is mainly a convenient way to enable the average customer to do some basic customizations. The range of options can be expanded via Google Play of course. However, there are two new features: templates that change the appearance of all (newly introduced) dynamic icons at once, and post filters that change the appearance of the whole UI – think of Instagram.

The manufacturers may provide their custom UI through the Customization Center, but they don’t have to. When Google upgrades Android and a manufacturer fails to provide a compatible version of their custom UI the device reverts simply to the stock UI (or the user waits with the upgrade until the manufacturer catches up).

New Project Roadrunner

Rumor: There is major effort to improve the battery life called Project Roadrunner.

Updated Google Play

Rumor: Google Play is enhanced with new features like personalized search, optional promotional campaigns with notification center integration, more billing options, and easier in-app micro-transactions.

Updated Google Now

Rumor: Google Now provides help for basic OS functions, aka “Where can I activate bluetooth?” or “How can I tone down the brightness?”, to make it easy for newbies to settle in.

Updated Video Player

Rumor: The stock video player app gets a major revamp and provides new APIs for other video services to tie in.

Source: http://androidandme.com/2012/10/news...ed-google-now/
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Skazzy

My Ride: 111i
leaked

Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
It all sounds great. That phone is HUGE!
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
jeffro3000

4.1.2 does make more sense. There were some conflicting reports going around this weekend debunking the 4.2 rumor. Jelly Bean isn't even 4 months old yet. Hopefully there will still be some noticeable improvements.

All I can say from that picture is that it better have ridiculously good battery life to justify being so thick. You could hurt someone with that thing.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Ynot

My Ride: 997
Not impressed with anything LG, should had been made by HTC or Samsung.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
huyner328
Bradolf Pittler

My Ride: E90 ///M3, E30 325ic
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
Def waiting for Samsung.
huyner328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #13
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Judging by the quality of the One X and One X+, an HTC Nexus would be awesome, not to mention they made the nexus one.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
That's what I was thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
4.1.2 does make more sense. There were some conflicting reports going around this weekend debunking the 4.2 rumor. Jelly Bean isn't even 4 months old yet. Hopefully there will still be some noticeable improvements.

All I can say from that picture is that it better have ridiculously good battery life to justify being so thick. You could hurt someone with that thing.

That's what I was thinking. It would need some stacked specs to be worth it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a massive screen, but there's a point of diminishing returns. At some point I'm not going to be able to fit the phone in my jeans pockets or in my cupholder, and I'm really not going to like that.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #15
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
LG's business model has been "be second place behind samsung"
This has been LG's strategy for decades... and it carries over into their smartphones as well
Surprised that google picked LG to build their flagship phone
Google holds a tight rein over the development and production of the nexus branded phones
Google forced samsung to rework the nexus s many times before release... samsung would have released a far inferior product if it had been left up to them
so hopefully the Google/LG collaboration will produce a worthy successor to the nexus line

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 10-09-2012 at 01:11 AM.
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #16
Skazzy

My Ride: 111i
Some more, this time without the case

Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #17
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Oooooooooooooooooo...My balls are vibrating.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #18
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
LG's business model has been "be second place behind samsung"
This has been LG's strategy for decades... and it carries over into their smartphones as well
Surprised that google picked LG to build their flagship phone
Google holds a tight rein over the development and production of the nexus branded phones
Google forced samsung to rework the nexus s many times before release... samsung would have released a far inferior product if it had been left up to them
so hopefully the Google/LG collaboration will produce a worthy successor to the nexus line

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
This could be Google saying, "Look, here's how you make a good phone. Do it like this."

Old 10-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #19
Evan///M3

My Ride: 02 325i / 98 M3/4/5
LG Nexus next to the iPhone 5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1349999875596.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	473486   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1349999889717.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	473487   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1349999902965.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	473488  
Evan///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #20
jeffro3000

The change to 1280x768 seems odd, why not just stick to 720p? The extra width is definitely noticeable, not sure about its usefulness though.