E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #101
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post
For me anyways, the software is more important than certain hardware stats.

I hate most custom roms, actually, pretty much all of them...but there is certainly better one for the nexus compared to other phones. One reason for the nexus, don't need the damn roms because the updates come so much faster.
The only custom ROMs I use are all pretty close to stock. I hate the flashy ones. Just make it rooted, include superuser, throw in a few additions (extra power menu options, pull down toggles) and call it a day. No retarded colors everywhere or 15 navigation buttons.

Android has improved to the point where a stock rooted ROM is pretty damn good imo.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #102
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
The only custom ROMs I use are all pretty close to stock. I hate the flashy ones. Just make it rooted, include superuser, throw in a few additions (extra power menu options, pull down toggles) and call it a day. No retarded colors everywhere or 15 navigation buttons.

Android has improved to the point where a stock rooted ROM is pretty damn good imo.

Exactly, and that's all good and well on nexus phones. But non-nexus phones are often a bit more of a pain. Had to tweak things to get it running next to stock JB on the S3. I personally don't mind doing it but I do like the simplicity of working with the nexus phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #103
///M_AMAZIN

My Ride: 325Ci no more
I'm in need of a new phone... Comming from the previous gen Xperia and now need help with this decision...

Which one of the following is better in terms of the phone itself, brand power and the features along within the device

1. Moto Droid Razr Maxx
2. The phone this thread is about
3. HTC One X

Thanks in advance
///M_AMAZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #104
deafboy

Depends what you're looking for. I would say:

Nexus 4 > One X > Razr Maxx

But it depends on the specific features you want.

Quote:
Quote:
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
Old 11-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #105
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_AMAZIN View Post
I'm in need of a new phone... Comming from the previous gen Xperia and now need help with this decision...

Which one of the following is better in terms of the phone itself, brand power and the features along within the device

1. Moto Droid Razr Maxx
2. The phone this thread is about
3. HTC One X

Thanks in advance
If you have LTE available in your area, I'd go ahead and knock the N4 off the list honestly.

If the One X+ is out yet then I'd go for that, it's very well built and HTC sense has actually gotten pretty nice. I still prefer stock Android but that's just me, doesn't mean Sense is bad.

Razr Maxx HD would be a good choice if battery life is your main concern. This is a verizon phone though, and the One X+ is AT&T only so what carrier you want will influence the decision.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #106
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
it's pretty sweet u can just buy the phone for just $300 no contract.

im curious to just test it then sell it

LTE is nice but it's not a complete deal break IMO

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #107
///M_AMAZIN

My Ride: 325Ci no more
All the phones are available for my carrier up in here[Canada] and it offers LTE.
Im leaning more towards the Nexus but I think the One X is more phone for your buck....
Im not picky with preference or if the brand offers upgrades as quick or not... Just in need for a reliable good looking one...

Any other suggestions for similar type phones...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
you got 20 posts and you think you can just come in e46OT and ask how to start your bike?
///M_AMAZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #108
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
LTE is nice but it's not a complete deal break IMO
let's not be dumb here, LTE is a deal breaker. I love my LTE

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #109
deafboy

Once LTE becomes more widespread (few years maybe?) then I will agree... when I have been in an area with it, it was nice though.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #110
Ynot

My Ride: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post
Once LTE becomes more widespread (few years maybe?) then I will agree... when I have been in an area with it, it was nice though.
Where do you take your phone, to a farm? Verizon has LTE in every major city and it's surrounding. It's a major reason to get a phone.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #111
deafboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Where do you take your phone, to a farm? Verizon has LTE in every major city and it's surrounding. It's a major reason to get a phone.
lol...Well if you're on Verizon you wouldn't be getting this phone anyways.

And I live in a fairly ruraly area so sure. We have 4G but not LTE.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #112
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
let's not be dumb here, LTE is a deal breaker. I love my LTE
I like it - super fast on my iPhone 5 but its not like wifi is
Faster p

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #113
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
Quote:

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #114
jeffro3000

Quote:

I even get LTE service out in some rural areas in the middle of nowhere, including several farms. It's odd, I have no idea why they'd put it out there. My best guess is because the Jack Daniels distillery is a tourist hotspot, lol.

I can see why people on GSM carriers might not care about it though, since T-Mobile hasn't even started yet and AT&T is waaaaay behind VZW.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #115
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:

I even get LTE service out in some rural areas in the middle of nowhere, including several farms. It's odd, I have no idea why they'd put it out there. My best guess is because the Jack Daniels distillery is a tourist hotspot, lol.

I can see why people on GSM carriers might not care about it though, since T-Mobile hasn't even started yet and AT&T is waaaaay behind VZW.
I think T-Mobile's HSPA+ can easily go right up against with Verizon's 4G LTE, and from what I've heard from my friends recently, Verizon's LTE speed have dropped dramatically since the introduction of the iPhone 5

I can easily hit 20 Mbps on a daily basis and usually have pretty good signal. Most likely it's probably where I live but I definitely don't see an advantage with LTE for me at least.
(I'm in LA County area btw, not sure why speed test is showing that i'm in New Mexico..)

Last edited by eneka; 11-04-2012 at 04:30 PM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #116
jeffro3000

Verizon started slowing down here long before the iphone 5 came a long. Even still, the places where T-Mobile can hang with LTE are severely outnumbered by the places it can't.

But by all means, if you actually get good T-Mobile service in your area, then stick with it. Around here, I'd be taking about a 90% reduction in speed if i switched from Verizon. And that's after it's slowed down by about half of the speeds it was over a year ago.

Then there's the looming upgrade to LTE-A, which will put up speeds pretty far out of reach of any other network type.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #117
Ynot

My Ride: 997
Quote:

Verizon is good but you have to pay a premium. I work in a brick building and my coworkers with AT&T and me previously on T-mobile could not get signal for data. Voice barely works too. With Verizon, I am getting 23MB down and excellent voice signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
I think T-Mobile's HSPA+ can easily go right up against with Verizon's 4G LTE, and from what I've heard from my friends recently, Verizon's LTE speed have dropped dramatically since the introduction of the iPhone 5

I can easily hit 20 Mbps on a daily basis and usually have pretty good signal. Most likely it's probably where I live but I definitely don't see an advantage with LTE for me at least.
(I'm in LA County area btw, not sure why speed test is showing that i'm in New Mexico..)
T-mobile is great for the price, I really like how T-mobile is reasonably priced. I got at least 5MB down everywhere I go. That is enough to stream movies, surf, etc. But it doesn't compare to LTE, at least with coverage and upload speed. If my current employer doesn't pay for my cell service, I would still be on the $30/month T-mobile prepaid plan. I was very happy with it. My current employer is paying over $100/month for my unlimited voice/text and 2GB data. That is silly to pay that much IMO.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #118
huyner328
Bradolf Pittler

My Ride: E90 ///M3, E30 325ic
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
Let's be real, LTE is nice and all but HSPA+ isn't too bad either. The fawk you need all that bandwidth for? Of course it'd be nice to have but not a deal breaker for me.
huyner328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #119
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Just got a nexus 7. Having fun so far. Though i admit its not as smooth and polished as iOS.
bry330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #120
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry330i View Post
Just got a nexus 7. Having fun so far. Though i admit its not as smooth and polished as iOS.
love those things. id get one but bally doesnt make slot machine apps for android

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote