E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2015, 12:16 AM   #1
Lamtran503

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Adding subs for the first time.

2003 e46 325xi stock sound no Harmon and Kardon

As I am reading and watching videos on how to add subwoofers, I'm wondering why do people connect wires to the stock amp and rear speakers on a e46? I got 2 tens by JL I need to get an amp and to install but I'm not sure if I should install it through the rear speakers and BMW amp but I don't know the purpose of it. Any knowledge and recommendations on amps would be great! Thank you in advance !
Lamtran503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
kd7iwp

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamtran503 View Post
2003 e46 325xi stock sound no Harmon and Kardon

As I am reading and watching videos on how to add subwoofers, I'm wondering why do people connect wires to the stock amp and rear speakers on a e46? I got 2 tens by JL I need to get an amp and to install but I'm not sure if I should install it through the rear speakers and BMW amp but I don't know the purpose of it. Any knowledge and recommendations on amps would be great! Thank you in advance !
I believe people are tapping into the wires from the stock amp to get line level signals for the subs/amps. The speakers in the car are all likely wired directly to that amp so it's an easy spot to tap into. If you have an aftermarket head unit with line out plugs you would have to put new wires under the carpet going to the rear for your subs. In fact, if you replaced the stock head unit I wouldn't be surprised if you'd have to rewire the speakers as it probably won't work with the OEM amp.
kd7iwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
MileHighBMW

My Ride: 325 xi wagon
I just tapped into the harness Pre-amp.

Used an LOC and easy connects like everyone says not to... worked amazing unless youre going for audiophile perfection this is the way i will reccommend.

Made the entire install a 40 min job.... best of luck if you have any questions holler.
MileHighBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:02 AM   #4
Lamtran503

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBMW View Post
I just tapped into the harness Pre-amp.

Used an LOC and easy connects like everyone says not to... worked amazing unless youre going for audiophile perfection this is the way i will reccommend.

Made the entire install a 40 min job.... best of luck if you have any questions holler.

Im very new to how stuff works so bare with me. You got a line out converter and connected it through the pre-amp in your car and not your rear speakers?
Another question is what wires did you tap in to use the LOC? Any splicing on the wires or stuff like that?
Old 07-30-2015, 01:05 AM   #5
MileHighBMW

First of all pardon my excellent artwork. I'm in a hurry

\

This is your amp's location, if you have a wagon its cake to get to, I guess guys with trunks have a harder time, but either way you have to get to it anyway.

You can use the LOC from the rear speakers but that would be post amp signals, I wanted to use PRE amp signals so I tapped in right where my "harness" arrow is... You can remove the tape that holds all that together and just tap in right there.... I chose to do it this way because the remote wire is right there too so they are all in 1 location....

Once you get there the LOC has to be hooked up to the following:

rear R-
rear R+

rear L-
rear L+

and then SOME require a ground too... which is also available right there at the harness.

The harness once removed can be split into two sections, it will be blatantly obvious how to do this once you disconnect the harness.. There is a gray connector and a black connector. Knowing this information the folllowing table should help out with the rest, again if you need anything just holler.

Right + Blue/black grey8
Right - Brown/Orange grey16

Left - Brown/Orange black29
Left + Yellow/black black37

Remote - solid white, grey10

Last edited by MileHighBMW; 07-30-2015 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:15 PM   #6
Lamtran503

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighBMW View Post
First of all pardon my excellent artwork. I'm in a hurry

\

This is your amp's location, if you have a wagon its cake to get to, I guess guys with trunks have a harder time, but either way you have to get to it anyway.

You can use the LOC from the rear speakers but that would be post amp signals, I wanted to use PRE amp signals so I tapped in right where my "harness" arrow is... You can remove the tape that holds all that together and just tap in right there.... I chose to do it this way because the remote wire is right there too so they are all in 1 location....

Once you get there the LOC has to be hooked up to the following:

rear R-
rear R+

rear L-
rear L+

and then SOME require a ground too... which is also available right there at the harness.

The harness once removed can be split into two sections, it will be blatantly obvious how to do this once you disconnect the harness.. There is a gray connector and a black connector. Knowing this information the folllowing table should help out with the rest, again if you need anything just holler.

Right + Blue/black grey8
Right - Brown/Orange grey16

Left - Brown/Orange black29
Left + Yellow/black black37

Remote - solid white, grey10

I don't have colors you have which is weird.

Here's a pic Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1438312529.605936.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	608197
Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
Lamtran503

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1438312557.437950.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	608198
Old 07-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #8
Lamtran503

I lied I found them god this thing is hard to get to
Old 08-03-2015, 01:02 AM   #9
MileHighBMW

How did the install go, you get it?
Old 10-26-2015, 11:14 PM   #10
Lamtran503

Super late reply been very busy but yessir thank you so much!
Old 10-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #11
Mflara20

My Ride: 04 330i
I want to do this as well. Can you snap some pics of your work?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Mflara20 is online now   Reply With Quote