E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
gusmagoo

My Ride: 325CI coupe M-sport
03 325ci Automatic gearbox warning fault P0705 position switch

Hi all. New to the forum so go easy on me.... Had a few nice motors in my time but presently a BMW virgin.
A pal of mine has offered me his silver 03 325ci sport auto with 64k on the clock so I've been test driving it for a few days now. (now bought) Here's the issue... It's been off the road and not run for about a year and has only covered 14 k in the last 7 years, all of which time I honestly don't think it's even been serviced (by him) but the oil seems strangely clean. The dash is only showing -750 so 750 miles overdue an Inspection. (now had a full service).
After charging the battery and bringing the vehicle back to life, excersing the gears in all modes faultlessly I stopped to reverse but was a bit sloppy with the shift and hadn't fully stopped going forward before attempting to get it into reverse, it clunked a bit and carried on but the dreaded gerbox check light came onand went into limp mode. That was the first time. It now does it intemittently when placed in park.
The warning cog disappears when you re start the car, every time. I will do some research and be back soon, anyone with any thoughts please speak up! Great site BTW! Learnt a lot already...

Last edited by gusmagoo; 11-06-2012 at 06:28 AM.
gusmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
j_block

My Ride: 2003 325i
I have had that light before. Shut off car, wait a couple of minutes and its gone. Idk what caused it but I did a manual swap anyways

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 11-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
gusmagoo

My Ride: 325CI coupe M-sport
Hi all,

My initial post didnít throw up many responses so now that weíre a few weeks down the line I thought Iíd give a quick update on my situation...

I bought a diagnostic lead and software so been having a play with that on my notebook, managed to establish a P0705 fault within the gearbox which is an intermittent fault on the ďneutral position switchĒ (part number 24107507818). DIS suggested checking all connections and lines first before thinking about replacement... It only happens when the car is cold and can be replicated only by wiggling the shift lever whilst in PARK, or having been placed in park... Nowhere else... (the parking pawl can be faintly heard and felt when applying the brake so that rules any problem out with that)
Iíve decided to have the gearbox oil / filter/ sump change widely recommended, and see if things improve. I donít want to fork out £225 ($360) plus labour for a new switch unless Iím absolutely sure thatís the problem. (The oil change is only £150!) So many times before you hear of replacements not fixing a problem... Iím starting with the obvious in having the oil change, and am also going to clean my MAF which may be contributing to a fluctuating idle. The vehicle has recently had a full service so when I have observed it running for a few more weeks Iíll report back with an update.
I know that there is a switch of some sort right next to the shift lever so I can't help thinking that because the cog of death appears when the shift lever is wiggled around it MIGHT be something to do with that??? (part no.8171666) Anyone with any thoughts on this??? Cheers...
gusmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote