E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
blk330i

My Ride: 01 330i
No power to secondary air pump ???

I thought my secondary air pump was bad because it does not come on and run. I took it off and put 12 volts to it and it ran ok. So I then checked to see if I had power to the pump. What I did was just use a test light to see if the wire/plug had electric going thru it. All I have is one of those screw driver type testers with a ground clip and one prong that you touch to what ever you are trouble shooting if it lights you have power.Mine did not light and I know it works ok.I already replaced my 50 amp fuse.I tested the wire terminal that plugs into the mass air flow the same way and my test light came on ok. Any suggestions ?
blk330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Did you check to make sure the relay was good as well? It is located behind the right hand footwell trim behind the glovebox I beleive. Also there are 2 fuses, I know you said you checked the 50 AMP fuse but there is another 20 amp fuse as well to that relay Fuses #3 and #36

Jared
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	location.JPG
Views:	652
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	254501   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAP relay.JPG
Views:	675
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	254502  
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
blk330i

My Ride: 01 330i
Fixed,thank you. I replaced the relay with a new one and the pump came on this time. I cant beleive it was the relay.It was not easy to find.
blk330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk330i View Post
Fixed,thank you. I replaced the relay with a new one and the pump came on this time. I cant beleive it was the relay.It was not easy to find.
Glad to hear everything worked out

Jared
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
youngkg

My Ride: 2000 328i
Where is Fuse #3 located? The fuse box in the glove box as a listing for Fuse 3 but no fuse is there. Is there another location for this fuse?

Thanks.
youngkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
youngkg

DIY Instructions?

Do you have to remove the glovebox to replace the relay? Also, which relay is it? I understand there are multiple 5 prong salmon relays somewhere in that area, is it #1, #2, etc? My secondary air pump is setting the CEL. A tech powered up the pump using a diagnostic tool and said maybe a sensor or relay is bad and that triggers the fault codes. I am going to try the relay replacement myself, I just want to make sure I am replacing the correct relay. Also, should I disconnect the battery before replacing the relay?

Thanks for any help.

Ken
Old 01-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #7
youngkg

Disregard my previous post... it looks like I do have power to the pump and it sounds like it should (vacuum cleaner). The CEL is still on due to secondary air low flow. Maybe I have a vacuum leak???
Old 01-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Could be a bad control valve or the output between of the pump is plugged.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:54 PM   #9
youngkg

Problem fixed - After reading some other threads, I decided to check the vacuum hose connected to the valve. For some reason it was bent underneath the engine cover and had broke in a spot. Replaced with $1 worth of vacuum tube and after a few drives the Check Engine Light went off on it's own. Thanks for the great info.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
DBeemerphileWnaB

My Ride: 04 325i & 00 323Ci
The fuse up under the hood goes to a bunch of stuff, so more would be out than just the smog pump if it was blown.

I keep getting P1411 error codes, and the pump works, vacuum valve works, the 50A fuse in the glove compartment was fine, and the relay tested out OK. After I got the relay tested at the Parts Store, now I am getting P1453 -bad relay and P0000 code! So I dunno if I need a new relay (can a Tester-dude hurt it with a 12v MC battery?) or if the car is just freaking out since I drove around without the relay or smog pump installed for an afternoon. The car ran fine without them, but wouldn't pass the Smog Test with Codes popping up. Also now got P0171 and P0174 'Lean banks', which I assume are related (or a sign of the economy). :-)
In answer to a previous post, the salmon-colored relay is behind the glove compartment AND the flip-down fuse box, left of all those white empty mystery boxes and a big harness cable. It is easiest to reach it if you close the flip-down fuse box, remove the 5(?) screws, 2 side buttons (to left piston and RH strap), and the glove compartment itself.
BTW- Vacuum hose is standard 5/32" washer hose; & definitely worth replacing! The front 4" section crumbled when I tried to pull it off the vacuum actuator to test the vacuum switch.
DBeemerphileWnaB is offline   Reply With Quote