E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
jjrichar
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330 Ci convertible
Project 5HP19 Transmission: Selector Switch

Selector switch

Link to other parts of the project
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=928248

On the side of the transmission is a large switch. This is what tells the car which gear has been selected. You may need to replace this if it fails, or if you are like me, you will want to pull it apart, find out what is wrong with it and fix it.

If it fails, you will get an OBD code saying that the switch is giving an invalid value, and the transmission will go into limp mode (stuck in 4th gear). Unfortunately I know this because my wifeís Audi (which has a 5HP19 transmission) had this issue. Fortunately for BMW owners, the switch is easily accessible from under the car. On the Audi itís a nightmare but thatís another story. I think Iíve mentioned before in other posts that the BMW is far easier to work on than the Audi, and a miles better car. Iíll mention it again. Our problem was fixed by having the engine off, but the ignition turned on, and then running the gear lever back and forth through all the gears over and over about a hundred times. The car hadnít been started for about 6 months (due to us living overseas) and I think some of the contacts maybe got some moisture in them and corroded a little. Who knows? It now works, and I didnít have to pay Audi $800 for a new switch, and about $1500 in labour to fix it. Did I also mention that Audi charge about twice as much for the same parts as BMW?

If you do have a problem with the switch, here are some photos that might help in pulling it apart and fixing it. Disconnect the gear select cable and then remove the switch. Unfortunately the switch is riveted together. Drill the rivet heads off, and then knock them out. To put it back together you can rivet it if you like, or do what I did. Get some small nuts/bolts and with a little loctite have it back like new. Donít worry about the heads of the bolts sticking out, there is plenty of room on each side of the switch for the other components that are around it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selector switch 01.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	459842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selector switch 02.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	459843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selector switch 03.jpg
Views:	1012
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	459844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selector switch 04.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	459845  

Name:	Selector switch 05.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	459846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selector switch 06.jpg
Views:	1283
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	459847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selector switch 07.jpg
Views:	1130
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	459848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selector switch 08.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	459849  

Name:	Selector switch 09.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	459850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selector switch 10.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	459851  
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Cool post, thank you.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
This has no relevance to my manual transmission.....nice writeup none the less