E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
jonesenberg

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP 6spd
'04 330i ZHP preventative maintenance

Recently, I've been soooo tempted to trade in my '04 ZHP against an '08 E90. They only want $22k on a one-owner, clean carfax 335i 6-spd sedan with 25k miles with sport and premium pkgs. As much as I want it, I just don't want to take on that much more debt ATM.

So, I need to get right with the idea of keeping my '04 ZHP with 70k miles for a while longer. That means keeping it in good shape mechanically.

I got it at 59k and it has not had the 60k service yet. No major issues to speak of. I just want to know what I should be looking at doing in the immediate/near future for preventative maintenance. According to mango's excellent guide, here's what I'm looking at inspecting/replacing:

voltage reg
final stage reg
spark plugs
fuel filter
differential oil
manual tranny oil
cabin air filter
clean ICV
clean throttle body
replace/bleed brake fluid
possibly seal valve cover gasket
possibly replace power steering fluid

She runs quite strong for the time being, so there are no pressing issues with any of these items. Am i missing anything? Is any of this not entirely necessary yet at 70K (like spark plugs, etc)? Anything long overdue?

FWIW, oil changes at around 7k are a given, with Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 used most recently (will use something else next time after poking around the forums a bit).

Last edited by jonesenberg; 01-06-2013 at 05:30 PM.
jonesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
JQuick5156

My Ride: 2004 330 Coupe
I would also go ahead and check your Shocks and Struts along with front control arm bushings. A lot of people say stock struts and shocks are gone by 60k I believe it was so worth a check. The control arm bushings are a quick check as well and I have seen mixed feelings on how long they last.

Lastly, I believe its Mobil 0w-40 you want to be using. Can't remember if 5w-30 is LL-01 or not. Castrol 5w-40 is LL-01 I know for sure.

I'm sure I missed something.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesenberg View Post
Recently, I've been soooo tempted to trade in my '04 ZHP against an '08 E90. They only want $22k on a one-owner, clean carfax 335i 6-spd sedan with 25k miles with sport and premium pkgs. As much as I want it, I just don't want to take on that much more debt ATM.

So, I need to get right with the idea of keeping my '04 ZHP with 70k miles for a while longer. That means keeping it in good shape mechanically.

I got it at 59k and it has not had the 60k service yet. No major issues to speak of. I just want to know what I should be looking at doing in the immediate/near future for preventative maintenance. According to mango's excellent guide, here's what I'm looking at inspecting/replacing:

voltage reg
final stage reg
spark plugs
fuel filter
differential oil
manual tranny oil
cabin air filter
clean ICV
clean throttle body
possibly seal valve cover gasket
possibly replace power steering fluid

She runs quite strong for the time being, so there are no pressing issues with any of these items. Am i missing anything? Is any of this not entirely necessary yet at 70K (like spark plugs, etc)? Anything long overdue?

FWIW, oil changes at around 7k are a given, with Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 used most recently (will use something else next time after poking around the forums a bit).
While I like and respect Mango's list I don't see the need for the voltage reg or the final stage reg. I would only add a coolant flush...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
SiVaE46

My Ride: 2003 325i
Yes to Ps fluid ... no to valve gasket unless it is leaking. No to voltage reg. What about accessory belt? Change coolant and inspect system for leak (pressure test) .. this is one of weak points of car ....
SiVaE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
While I like and respect Mango's list I don't see the need for the voltage reg or the final stage reg. I would only add a coolant flush...
You're on the right track. At $37, the voltage regulator is a no-brainer. At around 10 years or 100k miles, the voltage regulator can become iffy as the brushes wear down and fail to make sufficient contact. People report of strange electronic problems and ultimately, complete breakdown. You'll know when the red battery light comes on.

Your car will only be as reliable as the amount of maintenance you put in it. Sure, you can save the $37 and keep it in your pocket, but the thought of being stranded will always be at the back of your mind.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Oh oh just about every used E46 out there that has the original FSR, it's usually going. At around 100k miles (i bought my car w/96k), my blower stopped working altogether. I replaced the FSR and i've never had a problem since. It's bound to happen, just a matter of whether you want to stop a problem before it occurs or wait for it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
You're on the right track. At $37, the voltage regulator is a no-brainer. At around 10 years or 100k miles, the voltage regulator can become iffy as the brushes wear down and fail to make sufficient contact. People report of strange electronic problems and ultimately, complete breakdown. You'll know when the red battery light comes on.

Your car will only be as reliable as the amount of maintenance you put in it. Sure, you can save the $37 and keep it in your pocket, but the thought of being stranded will always be at the back of your mind.
Had zero trouble with alternator until well after 310,000 miles when my power steering hose burst and shorted out my alternator. This guys is only at 60k not 100k so why the voltage regulator when you clearly point out that it becomes an issue at 100k.
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Last edited by Zchild; 01-06-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
katu

My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
I have an 04 ZHP as well with 75,000 miles. He is what I have done.

voltage reg - Waiting
final stage reg - Waiting
spark plugs - Done
fuel filter - Done
differential oil - Done
manual tranny oil - Done
cabin air filter - Done
clean ICV - Done
clean throttle body - Done
replace/bleed brake fluid - Done
possibly seal valve cover gasket - Done but only because I did vanos, otherwise I would have waited for a leak
possibly replace power steering fluid - Done (ghetto turkey baster method)

I am surprised you didn't mention the cooling system? I know items like the voltage regulator are piece of mind, but IMO something like the cooling system is more important. If that blows you could be looking at a blown head. I replaced ALL cooling system components around 65,000, even the radiator. I figured it was only ~$120 and based on the low miles of my car, it has seen a lot of heat cycles. I just did it all in one shot and saved a lot of time down the road.

I will add that I also replaced my rotors/pads. Depending how car was driven, your rotors might be at minimum thickness like mine were.

Last edited by katu; 01-06-2013 at 08:56 PM.
katu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Had zero trouble with alternator until well after 310,000 miles when my power steering hose burst and shorted out my alternator. This guys is only at 60k not 100k so why the voltage regulator when you clearly point out that it becomes an issue at 100k.
I know of someone with a late model ZHP that had its VR go at 60k. I wasn't aware of the OP's mileage. It doesn't cost anything so i'd just replace it. save the old one as a spare.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 01-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #10
WheyArea

My Ride: '03 TiAg ///M3
At the mileage you're at I don't think it's necessary to spend that much money. Yes you want to keep it running great, but it sounds like it's doing fine. At <75k mi your car is barely broken in! lol

Here's what I think:

spark plugs
fuel filter
cabin air filter
clean ICV
clean throttle body
valve cover gasket

Also, I'm pretty sure that Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 isn't up to spec. The only Mobil 1 we should use is 0w-40 from what I understand

/// Dinan ECU /// Brembo BBK /// BBS LM 19" /// Bilstein PSS10
/// Eisenmann Exhaust /// Supersprint Mid Pip /// AC Schnitzer Spoiler
/// Hamann Lip /// AC Schnitzer CF Diffuser /// K&N CAI /// Valentine 1

Coming Soon...... OEM SSK, CSL bootlid
WheyArea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
katu

My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheyArea View Post
Here's what I think:

spark plugs
fuel filter
cabin air filter
clean ICV
clean throttle body
valve cover gasket
Replace VCG he doesn't mention is leaking but not his diff and tranny oil? Good catch on the wrong oil btw!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Chris C

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
I didn't have to replace my VR until I was at ~190K miles. The brushes were worn down quite a bit (perhaps half but I didn't measure) compared to the new one I purchased.
I'd also replace the belts.
Continue to enjoy your car.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
WheyArea

Quote:
Originally Posted by katu View Post
Replace VCG he doesn't mention is leaking but not his diff and tranny oil? Good catch on the wrong oil btw!
If you're gonna do the sparks you might as well do the vcg. As far as tranny/diff oil it's good up to 100k. The e46fanatics kool-aid gets a lot of ppl here (myself included when I first joined) but most of the "laws" I found to be overly sensitive BS.

Our cars are great but they're not Italian imports!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
Redryan98

My Ride: 07 Legacy GT 5MT
Being an 08 the 335 is out of powertrain warranty or soon will be. I've been researching them a lot as well and I'd stay away if the purchase price itself will be a stretch for you. Yes the HPFP has an extended warranty but there's so much else that can (possibly) go wrong with that engine it would scare me away. One example, do a google search for carbon buildup on the valves in the 335/135. you would need to be prepared to pull the intake every ~40k and clean the valves, or have a shop do it. BMW seems to have gotten off to a bad start with direct injection.

Not to say all will be trouble. Some owners reported very reliable cars but its not a risk I'd be willing to take if you'll be strapped for cash. If you have a reliable and well running ZHP I'd hold on to it a while longer until your wallet can accomodate the risk of owning a more complex vehicle.

Last edited by Redryan98; 01-07-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Redryan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
If you're gonna do the sparks you might as well do the vcg. As far as tranny/diff oil it's good up to 100k. The e46fanatics kool-aid gets a lot of ppl here (myself included when I first joined) but most of the "laws" I found to be overly sensitive BS.

Our cars are great but they're not Italian imports!
That doesn't make sense. The spark plugs take about 15-30 minutes to replace, and that's only because you have to remove a few things to get to them. It's not something that warrants any other "while you're in there" kind of maintenance.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
WheyArea

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
That doesn't make sense. The spark plugs take about 15-30 minutes to replace, and that's only because you have to remove a few things to get to them. It's not something that warrants any other "while you're in there" kind of maintenance.
If you're gonna remove all the bolts for the cabin air filter and change sparks you're not that far from doing the vcg. For a $20 part that gets brittle pretty quick I don't see it as being a big deal. You may disagree but this is how I see it

Old 01-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #17
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katu View Post
I replaced ALL cooling system components around 65,000, even the radiator. I figured it was only ~$120 and based on the low miles of my car, it has seen a lot of heat cycles. I just did it all in one shot and saved a lot of time down the road.
I don't see the value or need in replacing the oem radiator at 65K with a newer cheaper one. I don't reccomend this, the oem radiator unless having been damaged is fine for about twice that mileage.

Quote:
although I agree with almost everything you posted, I can't agree with the VCG at the same time as plugs as it's not saving any real additional time as the VCG is more involved.

I also agree the voltage regulator is not an item on the short list "to do" maintenance items.

OP, there are a few parts that should be looked over. And then there are people's opinions on what should be replaced or not. These are going to vary by individual so gauge a balance of all input from the two extremes.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
If you're gonna remove all the bolts for the cabin air filter and change sparks you're not that far from doing the vcg. For a $20 part that gets brittle pretty quick I don't see it as being a big deal. You may disagree but this is how I see it
There are 8 bolts (and 3 spring clips) total to remove to get to the spark plugs. I don't see that as worthwhile. I did it in <30 minutes first time. It takes about 5 minutes to get to the actual plugs. The VCG is a completely different project. For one it's not something you do preventatively. If it's not leaking, then you don't touch it unless you must get to the VANOS. Second, it's not a quick project. You should let the engine sit with the gasket sealer so it can cure. You can't drive your car immediately after a VCG job.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-07-2013 at 04:05 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
webster

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
pretty good list. here's what i've done ( '04 ZHP coupe, purchased @ 51k miles, currently @ 60,4xxx)

- Oil Change x3 (@ 51k, 56k, 59k (6 month interval change))
- Vanos (Dr Vanos kit)
- VCG (Genuine BMW)
- Spark Plugs (NGK6EQUP)
- CABs (Meyle HD)
- Complete Cooling System Overhaul (All Genuine BMW Parts, equivalent to ECS Level 2 kit)
- Tranny/Diff Fluid Change (Redline)
- PS Fluid (Mobil 1 ATF Turkey Baster method)
- Clean MAF (MAF Cleaner)
- Brake Fluid Flush (ATE Super Blue)
- Cabin/Air Filter (Genuine BMW)
- Fuel Filter (Genuine BMW)
- DISA Replacement/Upgrade (German Auto Solutions 'Gold' Kit)
- Washer Fluid Pump/Nozzles
- Battery (Duralast Gold 94R)

Haven't gotten to brakes/suspension yet...that will be the next major maintenance. Prob brakes first since I think they're closer to needing replacement.

Last edited by webster; 01-07-2013 at 05:10 PM.
webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
WheyArea

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
There are 8 bolts (and 3 spring clips) total to remove to get to the spark plugs. I don't see that as worthwhile. I did it in <30 minutes first time. It takes about 5 minutes to get to the actual plugs. The VCG is a completely different project. For one it's not something you do preventatively. If it's not leaking, then you don't touch it unless you must get to the VANOS. Second, it's not a quick project. You should let the engine sit with the gasket sealer so it can cure. You can't drive your car immediately after a VCG job.
No problem. We just disagree