E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
uninc4709

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i 5spd
Radio got fuzzy, super distorted bass

I have the basic stereo system in my car with an amp (polk pa880) and sub (10" kicker comp vr) wired into the back speakers. Everything worked fine but something went wrong through my various knob turns and trying to get the most out of it. Now my radio (on FM only) sounds like full distorted bass and can't even listen to it. The weird thing is that when playing CDs everything sounds fine. Any ideas on how to perhaps fix this mess?

Thanks

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
uninc4709

bump
Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
benzovs

My Ride: 2000 323i
I'm going to need some more info, and I'm going to ask you to be a little more specific.
Quote:
I have the basic stereo system in my car
I take that as you have the non harmon kardon factory system. Is that correct?

Quote:
with an amp (polk pa880) and sub (10" kicker comp vr) wired into the back speakers.
So that means you are using a LOC (line output converter) to run an aftermarket amp from your factory system?

Quote:
Now my radio (on FM only) sounds like full distorted bass and can't even listen to it.
What is sounding distorted? All of the speakers? Or just the sub? FM only? Not AM?

Quote:
Everything worked fine but something went wrong through my various knob turns and trying to get the most out of it.
Various knob turns? Do you mean adjusting the gain, low pass filter x-over point, bass boost, etc? Let me know the specifics and we can work our way from there.
benzovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
uninc4709

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzovs View Post
I'm going to need some more info, and I'm going to ask you to be a little more specific.

I take that as you have the non harmon kardon factory system. Is that correct?

So that means you are using a LOC (line output converter) to run an aftermarket amp from your factory system?

What is sounding distorted? All of the speakers? Or just the sub? FM only? Not AM?

Various knob turns? Do you mean adjusting the gain, low pass filter x-over point, bass boost, etc? Let me know the specifics and we can work our way from there.

Well you got them all on the ball there, yes I have the non-Hamon Kardon, using a LOC, and its all of the speakers and it sounds like distorted bass throughout in which I can not even clearly hear the music.

I have not had anything tuned other than myself. The LOC was just connected and I didnt bother to turn either adjuster on the LOC since I had no clue of the frequency coming out.

And I am unsure of which knobs I turned at this point, its been a month and a half now since it started. Here is the options I have, I dont know if this helps or not.

I do remember at one point I was playing with x-overs and phase. I am an amateur when it comes to audio.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
benzovs

Ok. So now we have a good starting point as far as eliminating the possible causes. I have seen this problem before, and in the past it turned out to be the actual tuner from the head unit that was the cause of the poor sound. I want you to do 2 things. I want you to disconnect the rca's going from the LOC to the amp.

Is your LOC powered, giving you a remote output? Meaning, does it require you to give it 12v + and ground? If so, remove power and ground from the LOC. If not, disconnect the line level inputs ( speaker wires) going to the LOC. After you have done that, turn on your factory radio and check to see if you still have poor sound while on FM. Check all of your sources while you are at it, just to double check (cd, am, fm, etc..) Once you do that let me know the results.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
uninc4709

I disconnected the RCA cables from the LOC and all the sources sounded fine. The LOC has no power source, has two dials to tun frequency but I have no idea what they do so I have not changed it. Its very strange because if the FM radio is sounding crappy, I can use an FM transmitter and the sound is fine again. I dont think the reception is the issue as the radio still finds all the stations fine, and the distortion isnt radio interference.

Do you know the frequency I should have the LOC set to?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
benzovs

The pots on the LOC are not for frequency adjustment. They are the gains for the LOC. Sometimes you have to adjust them depending if your bass is overpowering your mids, even though you have the amps gain/ bass boost all the way down. Its not often that you have to trim the pots on the LOC though. What brand of LOC are you using? Did you buy it new? What about the amp? Is it new? Do you still have the high level input plug for the amp?

It is very strange about you using an FM modulator and the sound not distorting. This is a weird issue..... and hundreds of times in the past when an issue was coming up that could not be rationally explained, it ended up being 2 out of 3 culprits the majority of the time. #1. A faulty ground. #2. A faulty or loose connection. And the least common was #3 Faulty equipment.

So this is the next step. Check and DOUBLE check all of your connections, pay close attention to your grounds. How did you tie into the rear speakers? Did you use t-taps? Check the integrity of your rca cable. Check the connections on your amp, again, pay attention to the ground. After all that is said and done, if you do not find a fault, next we will move on to equipment (LOC). What we might end up doing is hooking up the amp through the high level inputs and seeing if that takes care of the issue.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
benzovs

I was thinking about your problem while I was working today and I came up with a possible theory. Where did you get the remote turn on for your sub amp? Did you get it from the factory amp turn on wire? Well that wire also supplies power to the antenna amplifier. Typically remote turn on wires supply very low current (1-2 amps) and it's possible that your sub amp is drawing the current away from the antennas amplifier so much so that it is not turning on.

If you got done trying all of the last troubleshooting ideas I recommended and your problem still exists, try switching the remote turn on to your sub amp, get it from the battery nearby, just for testing purposes. Then check the sound for all your sources again. If it fixes it, then let me know and we can work on a solution for getting you a better remote turn on source for your sub amp.