E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 143
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Angry shop messed up my damn car.

took my car in to a glass specialty company to replace front passenger window regulator.

months later i start seeing water in my door map pocket after rains. thought maybe door was open a bit or window left down. investigated a bit more and it kept happening.

a few weeks ago i decided to take off door panel to check problem and they had cut out my fvcking vapor barrier around the airbag

ordered a new vapor barrier and was going to just put it in myself and not hassle this company, but it the part cost me $42 and the butyl tape is another like $20.

should i bitch them out and try to get them to pay for this stuff? if they don't how far should i take it? bbb, small claims court?
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,049
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
"months later"?

good luck.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
v8 5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Jarzy, New Jarzy
Posts: 339
My Ride: 6 speed BMW
You're SOL but I would tell them not to work on BMW's because of what you have to do now
__________________
Gutted with a Getrag

v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 143
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
"months later"?

good luck.
we had a drought this year and it didn't rain for several months. i also sometimes park in my garage, so i only noticed it a month ago. it's inside my door panel, so there was no way for me to know unless there was a reason to remove it.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,049
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
yeah, I understand how a lot of time can go by. But the span of time is going to seriously work against you to try to claim anything from them.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
joeski3d
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 517
My Ride: 2000 323i
This is one of those "if only I'd gone to the DIY forums on e46f" moments.
__________________

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
BoogetyBoogety
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas!
Posts: 812
My Ride: 2010 SL550
You know, the owner/manager of the shop probably didn't do the work on your car himself/herself.

I bet he/she would appreciate knowing of your experience to avoid having such issues crop up in the future.

Take the car to them, ask to speak to the owner/manager, calmly show him/her the problem, and give him/her a chance to make it right for you. I personally would not have tried to fix it myself before following the above course of action, but then again, since you have already bought the parts, take them with you. It would be good proactive customer service for them to reimburse you for them and do the corrective work using them at no charge. It's the right thing to do by both of you.

If you have the above discussion and they blow you off or give you any crap, then go nuclear on their sorry asses.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336
BE QUIET STAY IN SILENT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ANY MORE. YOU ARE SO MADD AND IM HAPPY . DUMB YOUR MOM
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 143
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
You're SOL but I would tell them not to work on BMW's because of what you have to do now
it was $75 to replace, i had bought a cheap aftermarket regulator and they actually did a good job aligning the window and putting it in. i thought it was a good deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
This is one of those "if only I'd gone to the DIY forums on e46f" moments.
trust me, been there and done that. i've replaced both back window regulators myself as well as the front passenger one. the front ones are a pain in the ass and i had trouble aligning it, so i figured i'd give this shop a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post
You know, the owner/manager of the shop probably didn't do the work on your car himself/herself.

I bet he/she would appreciate knowing of your experience to avoid having such issues crop up in the future.

Take the car to them, ask to speak to the owner/manager, calmly show him/her the problem, and give him/her a chance to make it right for you. I personally would not have tried to fix it myself before following the above course of action, but then again, since you have already bought the parts, take them with you. It would be good proactive customer service for them to reimburse you for them and do the corrective work using them at no charge. It's the right thing to do by both of you.

If you have the above discussion and they blow you off or give you any crap, then go nuclear on their sorry asses.
haha, i didn't really do any work on it yet, except for taking off the door panel to see what was wrong. couldn't believe what they did. maybe they didn't want to touch the airbag, but to just cut around it and then throw away the vapor barrier? wtf? i've been driving around for a week without the panel on my car and it's annoying the hell out of me. they are a national chain and seemed like a good place. maybe just the particular worker sucks.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
moiz21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,391
My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
I actually had my driver side rear window broken a few months back. I went to a local shop and paid out of pocket to get it replaced, since it was cheaper than paying my insurance deductible. They did a quick job, but my first worry was when I got the car back and the trim pieces weren't seated right. A couple days later it rained and the floor behind my seat was drenched in water. I went back to have them take a look at it, and they claimed to have fixed it. I end up having the same exact issue a few days later. This time I decide to open it up myself, before going back to the window place (knowing full well that it could be as simple as replacing the butyl tape, as it's a common thing on the forums). My plan was just to fix it myself, come to find out, they tore out the vapor barrier and put a piece of plastic with tape in its place. I went back and talked to the owner, who tried to tell me in the 10+ years he's been in the business he's never heard of this kind of issue causing water to leak into the car. I called bullshit and told them to pay for the replacement of the barrier, took it home and replaced it myself.
__________________

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 143
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz21 View Post
I actually had my driver side rear window broken a few months back. I went to a local shop and paid out of pocket to get it replaced, since it was cheaper than paying my insurance deductible. They did a quick job, but my first worry was when I got the car back and the trim pieces weren't seated right. A couple days later it rained and the floor behind my seat was drenched in water. I went back to have them take a look at it, and they claimed to have fixed it. I end up having the same exact issue a few days later. This time I decide to open it up myself, before going back to the window place (knowing full well that it could be as simple as replacing the butyl tape, as it's a common thing on the forums). My plan was just to fix it myself, come to find out, they tore out the vapor barrier and put a piece of plastic with tape in its place. I went back and talked to the owner, who tried to tell me in the 10+ years he's been in the business he's never heard of this kind of issue causing water to leak into the car. I called bullshit and told them to pay for the replacement of the barrier, took it home and replaced it myself.
yeah, i don't think they realize the way the vapor barrier and door drains work in a bmw. neither did i, until i researched the problem. so did they pay for the materials?

i never thought it was a big deal to take off the vapor barrier. each time i've done it, maybe 6 times or more, i just peel it off slowly and it removes fine. then i press it firmly back into place with the original rubber seal. just lazy work i guess.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
speedcrazy1532
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 721
My Ride: is over
Lol, should have left it that way and waited until you're driving around and listening to the water slosh around in your door.
__________________

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
Lair
Modded ///Member
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Downtown
Posts: 320
My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
they are a national chain
Safelite?
__________________

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
mistrzmiasta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,011
My Ride: GLK350,ML63
first and foremost make a thread about it. the rest will resolve itself.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #14
BoogetyBoogety
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas!
Posts: 812
My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
...they are a national chain and seemed like a good place. maybe just the particular worker sucks.
All the more reason to follow my advice, and show them the crappy job they did on your car.

...Because they know a pissed-off customer can put up a Yelp review or a YouTube video and cause them untold harm. Let them take care of it...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc336
BE QUIET STAY IN SILENT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ANY MORE. YOU ARE SO MADD AND IM HAPPY . DUMB YOUR MOM
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
moiz21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,391
My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
yeah, i don't think they realize the way the vapor barrier and door drains work in a bmw. neither did i, until i researched the problem. so did they pay for the materials?

i never thought it was a big deal to take off the vapor barrier. each time i've done it, maybe 6 times or more, i just peel it off slowly and it removes fine. then i press it firmly back into place with the original rubber seal. just lazy work i guess.
Yea. But I already had a roll of butyl from a previous regulator repair (and the SA at BMW gave me the roll for free) and the vapor barrier was only $25, so I guess the owner didn't see much of an issue with shelling out the money for the barrier.
__________________

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 143
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
Lol, should have left it that way and waited until you're driving around and listening to the water slosh around in your door.
yes, i did hear sloshing of water in my map pocket. good to know it's water tight and i can store liquid in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Safelite?
no, glass specialty. ok not national, but have many locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post
All the more reason to follow my advice, and show them the crappy job they did on your car.

...Because they know a pissed-off customer can put up a Yelp review or a YouTube video and cause them untold harm. Let them take care of it...
yes, i'm going to call them and perhaps go over to discuss
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
cd330
ModZombie Moderator
 
cd330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Dr. Satan's House of Horrors
Posts: 34,504
My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Safelite?
I don't think Safelite fixes window regulators, lol. Just glass.
__________________
cd330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use