E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
ohtaile

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325CI
I installed Vogtland Springs on my 2002 325ci Convertible

I just had my buddy install Vogtland Springs on my 2002 325ci Convertible. It was suppose to be a 1.7 inch drop, but I'm guessing it was at least 2 inches. My car is slammed.

The car drives so firm and the handling is dynamic. Such tight steering. The ride is oem feel, and I hardly feel anything on the road. I am on OEM struts.

The rear fenders do rub slightly when going over small bumps, and my buddy rolled the fenders as much as he could, but there is no damage to the tires as I can tell.

This is where I bought them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400210847020...AIT&rmvSB=true

Before

After

ohtaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
mikeetastic

My Ride: 330ci 325iWag 328ci
too low IMO but that's just me..
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
ohtaile

I think I am going to put the oem springs back on the rear. The fronts look awesome. The rears went way to low. I think my rear struts are bad because I was easily able to push them down with my hand. I think if I buy new struts it will lift the rear back up.

Last edited by ohtaile; 05-26-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
ohtaile

Ok so dumb question. My shocks are blown, and thats why I think the drop was more lower than it was suppose to be. If I get koni shocks, will it raise my vogtland springs back up to what they are suppose to be? I feel like the car is sagging in the rear because my shocks are blown and thats why I had such a huge drop.

Do konis have different size shocks that could raise the rear? Thanks.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtaile View Post
Ok so dumb question. My shocks are blown, and thats why I think the drop was more lower than it was suppose to be. If I get koni shocks, will it raise my vogtland springs back up to what they are suppose to be?

No.

I feel like the car is sagging in the rear because my shocks are blown and thats why I had such a huge drop.

Do konis have different size shocks that could raise the rear? Thanks.

I cautioned you about all this, but I see you tried to go cheap & not replace any of your strut/shocks. Now your rear shocks are blown, your fronts will go soon enough. The bigger problem you face from what I read above (CMIIW) is that you're only planning on replacing the rear shocks,....not with a similar OE type but a high performance type which would be a complete mismatch to the worn front struts. This is a Bad plan. You need to buy 4 new performance oriented struts & shocks with a new set of THICKER rear spring pads, then get an alignment. Then you'll be happy.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
ohtaile

Thanks rob. I will try that lol
Old 05-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
ohtaile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I cautioned you about all this, but I see you tried to go cheap & not replace any of your strut/shocks. Now your rear shocks are blown, your fronts will go soon enough. The bigger problem you face from what I read above (CMIIW) is that you're only planning on replacing the rear shocks,....not with a similar OE type but a high performance type which would be a complete mismatch to the worn front struts. This is a Bad plan. You need to buy 4 new performance oriented struts & shocks with a new set of THICKER rear spring pads, then get an alignment. Then you'll be happy.

Rob43
Rob, I've been reading about coilovers. I see that the Street Edge are a low budget but quality coilover that can make my convertible look the same on the front and rear.

That way I don't have to replace the struts and springs. I am going to take the vogtlands off and get these coils.

What do you think?

Last edited by ohtaile; 05-31-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #8
joeybananaz18

My Ride: e92 n54 xdrive
Quote:
Rob, I've been reading about coilovers. I see that the Street Edge are a low budget but quality coilover that can make my convertible look the same on the front and rear.

That way I don't have to replace the struts and springs. I am going to take the vogtlands off and get these coils.

What do you think?
isn't there that saying about how when it comes to cheep, reliable, and sporty, a car can only have 2 of those things? If I was putting new suspension on my car I wouldn't trust a product that could let me have my pie and eat it too. But that's just me.
joeybananaz18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #9
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybananaz18 View Post
isn't there that saying about how when it comes to cheep, reliable, and sporty, a car can only have 2 of those things? If I was putting new suspension on my car I wouldn't trust a product that could let me have my pie and eat it too. But that's just me.
I Agree

The coil overs you just mentioned are very low quality, that's why there is only a 2 yr warranty on them. Buyer beware.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:36 PM   #10
Harry330

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
I just had my buddy install Vogtland Springs on my 2002 325ci Convertible. It was suppose to be a 1.7 inch drop, but I'm guessing it was at least 2 inches. My car is slammed.

The car drives so firm and the handling is dynamic. Such tight steering. The ride is oem feel, and I hardly feel anything on the road. I am on OEM struts.

The rear fenders do rub slightly when going over small bumps, and my buddy rolled the fenders as much as he could, but there is no damage to the tires as I can tell.

This is where I bought them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400210847020...AIT&rmvSB=true

Before

After

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...651&highlight=

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse, but what springs are best for an e46 convertible with oem struts and maintaining ride quality? I just want my front fender gap to match the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but everyone has told you that there is no "best" way to do something wrong, which is what you want to do.
I count 7 different guys trying to give you great advice, but now i realize why they are not getting anywhere. It's because of those fake poser stick on m3 fender pieces, anyone that's willing to do that to their regular bmw is not going to listen to good advice. You want the cheap way out, weather that's fake poser m3 parts or cheap suspension fixes to a real problem. I am betting that you buy a cheap set of coil overs like the street edg you just mentioned. I just helped my buddy remove them after 27 months and 25k miles , the rear shocks were totally dead.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
ohtaile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry330 View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...651&highlight=

I count 7 different guys trying to give you great advice, but now i realize why they are not getting anywhere. It's because of those fake poser stick on m3 fender pieces, anyone that's willing to do that to their regular bmw is not going to listen to good advice. You want the cheap way out, weather that's fake poser m3 parts or cheap suspension fixes to a real problem. I am betting that you buy a cheap set of coil overs like the street edg you just mentioned. I just helped my buddy remove them after 27 months and 25k miles , the rear shocks were totally dead.

Jokes on you, because I have owned my car for 2 years now and only put 5000 miles on it. I do not drive my car much as I travel for my job. Also, if you look at the reviews of the street edge coilovers, the buyers are pretty happy with their purchase. I am not racing. I am not looking to race my car and take turns going 50 mph. I just want to get my front to match my rear and I think these coil overs will achieve that. It will take me 5 years to put 25,000 miles on my car and if these $350 coil overs can do that and give me a decent ride quality, I am pretty happy.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:33 AM   #12
Harry330

Quote:
Jokes on you, because I have owned my car for 2 years now and only put 5000 miles on it. I do not drive my car much as I travel for my job. Also, if you look at the reviews of the street edge coilovers, the buyers are pretty happy with their purchase. I am not racing. I am not looking to race my car and take turns going 50 mph. I just want to get my front to match my rear and I think these coil overs will achieve that. It will take me 5 years to put 25,000 miles on my car and if these $350 coil overs can do that and give me a decent ride quality, I am pretty happy.
Seriously guy, the jokes very much on you if you think $350 Chinese coil overs are a high quality part for your car. Crap is crap, so it doesn't matter if you only drive it alittle bit. I'm sure you will enjoy them along with your press on fake plasitc M3 fender pieces, you deserve both.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
ohtaile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry330 View Post
Seriously guy, the jokes very much on you if you think $350 Chinese coil overs are a high quality part for your car. Crap is crap, so it doesn't matter if you only drive it alittle bit. I'm sure you will enjoy them along with your press on fake plasitc M3 fender pieces, you deserve both.
For what I need, these coil overs will do the job. Go read the 52 page thread about them before you come in here bashing me about my car. They have good reviews, have last 3-4 years and some from 20-40k miles. They are compared to ST coilovers from the guys that have put them on their m3's.

And the flare does not say m3 on it. Its just for looks, and it looks good a$$hole. Thats sad you have nothing better else to do than come in here bashing me about my good looking car.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #14
Harry330

Quote:
For what I need, these coil overs will do the job. Go read the 52 page thread about them before you come in here bashing me about my car. They have good reviews, have last 3-4 years and some from 20-40k miles. They are compared to ST coilovers from the guys that have put them on their m3's.

And the flare does not say m3 on it. Its just for looks, and it looks good a$$hole. Thats sad you have nothing better else to do than come in here bashing me about my good looking car.
Look guy, there are countless posts like these all the way through this thread, these represent just a few. So you keep on thinking that these cheap Chinese coil overs will compare to $1000 dollar coil overs, i figure at this point you deserve them. And just because that plastic turd you stuck on to your fender doesn't say M3 on it, you are still trying to fool people by doing it. That's called being a Poser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest021715 View Post
Don't order these if you value comfort. The dampening sucks.

My ST coilovers are much more comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest021715 View Post
The SE coilover kit feels harsh.
It's impressive for the $300 I paid, but it doesn't compare to the brand name stuff.

This isn't a kit I'd put on to replace OEM suspension.
I purchased this while completing my M3 build, so I'd be able to drive it around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeS View Post
I purchased a set of these last year in April from thesuspensionsource on ebay for my e46 m3. They came in looked good except one front shock had some oil on it but I thought nothing of it. Fast forward to this week when I finally install them they felt good except I hear a bumping noise coming from the front. I double check it to make sure everything is secure and installed properly and it was. So went ahead and took it apart and found more oil on the same shock. When I press down on it, it doesn't come back up. Shock was bad before I even got it.

Last edited by Harry330; 06-04-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Harry330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #15
CarbonZHP

My Ride: is uncomfortable
Buys ebay springs. Buys ebay fake gills. Says they 'look good'. Thinks he has the right to call us assholes. Got to love the forums. Stay classy.
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #16
ohtaile

Haters gonna hate if you think my car looks like ****
Old 06-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #17
CarbonZHP

In all honesty I think it looks good. I did like it before when I saw it. Just know that there are some things which you cannot do and share on the forums, if you expect people to like you. Two examples are M gills or M badges.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #18
ohtaile

Ok. Thanks man. Didn't know there were so many haters. I can see where it could look posing. I had no intentions for that.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #19
CarbonZHP

I can see that you'd want to do something with that fender because on the pre facelift it is a bit empty there, but I'd suggest against those things.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #20
ohtaile

What things? What do you mean? And what would you suggest? I drive like an old man. I think these street edge will do the job