E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
ChrisRedmon

My Ride: 2002 PY ///M3
Side marker LED stays on.....Da fuq?

Bought some LED's for my side markers. Good great WONDERFUL.

However when i turn my car off....they stay lit. Why is this. I have a few load resistors...just not trying to tap anything if it wont fix it... Ideas?
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

ChrisRedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
Eroc162

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Send a message via Yahoo to Eroc162
I'm having the same problem with my license plate leds. They stay on but if I put the bulbs back in it shuts off properly. Maybe it's coming from the capacitor? Any solution yet.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Sounds like the LCM is trying to do a 'hot check' of the side marker lights to see if they are out. If there is an option in NCS Dummy to turn off the 'hot' or 'cold check' for the side marker lights, I bet that would fix it.

I don't have NCS Dummy on this computer, or I'd be able to tell you. Someone else will chime in about it though.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Sometimes I think that it's best to stay OE. However, I do believe I recall some mention of coding for led lights.

Still, while I'm here...is the difference between leds and OE lights that great that it's worth it to mess around with the car's electronics?

If the motor is the heart of the car, the electronics is its nervous system. Whatever you do to fix this issue, OP, I also think you should take the OE oath, face Munich, read Bentley--230-15--three times, check coolant and PS fluid levels, and lift up your turn signal turnstalk into neutral position...that is, if only one of your side lights stays lit.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 10-20-2012 at 08:11 AM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
ChrisRedmon

Is it worth it? Absolutely. I respect that you keep your car looking exactly the same since the day it was bought new. However im 20 years old with an M3 that burns a hole in my pocket like no other. I love tinkering. I love making my lighting system on my cars stand out. Its what makes my car mine. Plus, its a simple operation that's easily reversible that my car can undergo. If i dont like it, always have the stock bulbs. I mean....come on. Tell me these arent pwetty :3

Cant see the LED corner signals (They work well btw!)
2002 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 l 6MT l Nappa l Nav l STG Coilovers 7k/8k l BMW Performance SSK l OEM ZCP's l Kirk Roll Bar l Motorsport Hardware l Besian Systems l CSL/GTR Carbon Fiber Hood, Trunk & Diffuser l Status Gruppe Sec. 3 l Custom Rear Brace l Rear Seat Delete l Coby Wheel Products

Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
ChrisRedmon

I believe ive found the answer....It has to do with the constant power going to all bulbs even when the car is off. The stock bulbs dont respond to it, however since the leds draw much less. They do. Ill keep the stocks in my side markers until i find a fix.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
You are correct when you put led's in they draw less power than oe bulbs thus when you turn your car off the led bulbs are still charged for a little bit which is just enough power for the LEDs to stay on just faintly tho they seem like there barely on. This happens on my trunk lights doesn't bother me I think it actually looks cool that when my car is off my liscense plate is still illuminated ever so slightly
Old 10-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
ChrisRedmon

So realistically, i can put them in.....and have a battery the next morning

Old 10-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
THECLEANERBEAMER

They shut off after a minute or so
Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
ChrisRedmon

Thanks man, i appreciate the input.

And how clean your beamer is. Do want.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
THECLEANERBEAMER

Haha thanks man your car is pretty awesome keep up the good work!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
christiandflores

My Ride: BMW M3 E46
if you guys still have the issue, i used 5 watt 5 ohm resistors from fry's fixed the constant dimly on issue
christiandflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
ChrisRedmon

Excellent, thanks for the info dude!