E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Talking BUYER BEWARE: Do not trade in for a 2010 335i. It will be a downgrade from our E46!

A glimpse at the rapage that is going on with new owners of the 2010 335i BMWs.

On the 2010 3 series 328i and 335i models BMW cut corners and told nobody not even customers who didn't noticed they were raped for $50,000+ until AFTER they picked up their deliveries and drove them home.

And in 2011 it seems they have already cut more corners by bringing back the HK system as a pricey luxury sound option.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=435080

Quote:
Originally Posted by therajman View Post
I Just took delivery of my 2010 335i 2 days ago. This car was ordered in mid-December 2009. The options I got are Premium package, Sport package, Cold Weather package & Navigation System. The car set me back just about $50K.

My previous car with a 2007 335i with the same config but was missing the Nav.

The difference in the 2 cars is significant. The 2007 was a MUCH better car. In terms of quality, solidity and features. I just cannot get over the fact that the new car seems to be cheaper in build.

I am totally appalled at the features that have been yanked!!!

Seatback pockets - gone - where to store stuff in the back - there is NO storage anywhere

Ashtray - gone - I don't smoke but where to store change?

Ashtray power outlet - moved to a very inconvenient location under the glove box!

Rechargeable flashlight - gone!

Ability to use an adapter in the flashlight receptacle to get a 2 power outlets - gone!

Cargo net hooks in the trunk - gone - I regularly used the cargo net, now what do I do with my existing cargo net? Maybe I will send it to BMW as a gift!

Wiper Arms - cheap, flimsy looking spindly arms that do not do a BMW justice - the ones on the 2007 were solid! These ones are pretty sad

Seatbelt height adjusters - gone! How does a short/tall driver adjust the seatbelt position?

Headrests - modified to the point that they don't sit flush with the seat, rather remain at 1st notch. And they don't move forward and backward any more!

Seats - seem to be less padding and generally more uncomfortable!

Sound System - downgraded to a pathetic system that sounds like it is in a cardboard box. Sound clips at high volume. Weak bass. No oomph. Cannot hear the radio at max volume when sunroof and windows are open. The 2007 had the 10-speaker Professional system. This car has what appears to be a 4 (or 6?) speaker system. BMW has to be kidding. How can they justify this pathetic stereo in a $50K car? Of course I was not aware of the downgrade when I ordered the 2010. My sales rep was not either. I found out when I picked up the car and was driving home. Had I known when I placed the order, at least I would have opted for the upgraded sound system. I drive a lot and I like my music. My wife's Cayenne S has a stellar Bose system. The 335i system is like a boom box next to it. Disgusting that BMW can do this and get away with it. It is actually deceitful!

Handling - the 2010 335i does not feel as secure and as confident as the 2007. It seems lighter somehow. Feels more skittish and less poised on curves but that could be because the tires are still new and not broken into. I will report more on the handling after a few thousand miles.

I called customer relations. They promptly threw the dealership/my sales assassociate under the bus stating that these were "sales" issue and not "production or design" issues and they had the audacity to tell me that I should have thoroughly examined a 2010 showroom floor model BEFORE placing my order. They just gave me a bunch of baloney about "we reserve the right to make whatever feature changes we see fit....yada yada yada!" It is obvious that BMW does not really care about customer service/relationship otherwise they would NEVER have done this.

I wish I could give the car back. I cannot replace the stereo without voiding the warranty on the entire iDrive system. I know that BMW wont do anything. They simply don't care. So I am stuck with these missing features. That makes me feel cheated.

Am I the only one that has noticed these items? Is there anyone else out there that has comments on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan3 View Post
Why did you let go of your 2007 335i? The '09 models forward have what BMW calls the "Active Headrest", so that's why they don't tilt forward and backward. I know it sounds kind of ironic. Hearing about the downgraded audio system makes me mad. I agree that it is totally unacceptable to have such low grade quality speakers for a car in this caliber. I have already read about several members in this forum who were unaware of the downgraded speakers, and it is just sad.

Just to add a few more deletions I can think of at the top of my head:
-Hood pad insulation gone
-Windshield band gone
-Cooler under armrest gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
The 2010 base stereo has been degraded from 2009 there's lots of threads on it and a lot of people are very unhappy. If you really like stereo from the threads I have read you will be very unhappy camper unless you can figure out a way to do an aftermarket upgrade which is difficult because of the Fiberoptic Bus that links the Stereo , Amp, Bluetooth, Ipod and I don''t know what else. I had the HK upgrade in my 01 330ci and I thought it was pretty good. I just got a 06 325xi wagon
with what they call the base system which was 4 4inch drivers with tweeters and two subwoofers one under each seat. All though this was is not terrible it is somewhat lacking in the lower midrange and tends to muddy up when the volume is turned up. But in 2010 they degraded this system deleting some of the tweeters and providing a less powerful amp . There are some people that are very upset with this . I suggest you take a cd or mp3 of your favorite stuff and really sit down and listen in any car you are going to buy. Also you can't just go out and buy a CD player and stick in the car without having the dealership program your car to recognize the cd or ipod adaptor if you didn't get one.

Because of the Fiberoptic Bus called the Most Bus its much harder to add aftermarket stereo . Most people up to now have been using the high level or speaker output to drive another amp. There is a solution on the horizon called the mobridge da-2000 but its not quite out yet. I have gone crazy looking at ways to modify
the stereo but the head unit is very integrated with the rest of the electronics on this model so its kind of a nightmare to change things.

Read the thread called" 2010 335i - Highly Disappointed"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
To the OP, I feel your pain. I'm preparing to order a 2011 335D, and I've got an issue that is similar to your problem. The new upgrade stereo for 2011 is a "Harmon Kardon Surround Sound" system. So what the heck is that? Some say it's the Logic7 by a new name (HK supposedly makes both). Who knows? I've posted up a thread in the "Ask a Dealer" section to see if someone with ties to BMW can tell us (me) exactly what this system is - number of speakers, etc.. I can't find anything on the BMW site that definitively answers this question - to be fair, it might be too soon, since the 2011's have just been announced. Nonetheless, this is similar to what you've described. It will interesting to see what we learn.
Quote:
lol.

Man they are really stripping it down.

HK!?

On my 2001 330i HK Premium Sound was a free option I wonder how much BMW will charge for this on a 2011 3 series?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I have a suspicion that the new HK branded system is actually the old ten speaker system rebranded with the Harmon Kardon name. I saw photos of the interiors of the new 335is with the HK system and the speaker placement is identical. Now unless speaker quality is improved or more amp is provided they are REBRANDING IMHO. But I will wait and see. FYI those pics were @ autospies.com

Here are pictures from a 2010 335i factory brand new with 0 miles. Does this look like a $46,000 luxury sports sedan?

You can see how cheap the steering wheel looks...even from a picture

and the dash plastics seem cheaper as well...

no loft in the cushions...and no rear net pockets on the back of the front seats. A first on the 3 series since the 1992 318i E36.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 02-21-2010 at 08:23 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
It does look pretty cheapo but, none the less, i wouldn't say it's a downgrade from an e46.. just a different car. If you went from an E46 M3 to a 335 expecting a sportier car, i think you would be disappointed in almost every area.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Ervin87

My Ride: E92 M3 | S4 | E30
Send a message via AIM to Ervin87
Really sucks. Those front seats are pathetic for any model in the BMW series, yet a 335i.

Ervin (Bay Area Detailer)
Ervin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
Dang, I never order brand new luxury cars - where the rich squander their (easily earned) $$$.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Wow the plastics look like they are straight out of a Cavalier
Old 02-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
olinjohnston

My Ride: Dakar 330Xi + ESS TS
Send a message via AIM to olinjohnston
Some of your complaints are valid. However, a list of improvements from the e46 to the 2010 335i would be much longer. I would start with REAR AIR VENTS. You are a whiner, and you should have probably examined a 2010 before you purchased. The dash materials are the same as 07s, and the seat back pockets were useless anyway. Most sport-seat e39s don't even have those. My 8-Series doesn't have them either, and that is certainly not devoid of "features." You still have the ashtray compartment, but it just doesn't have a door on it. You can actually fit MORE in it now because of that. The seats are flat, but no flatter than a non-sport e46. The stuff they "yanked" was not used by 95% of owners.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
xJustin

My Ride: '04 330ci
Send a message via AIM to xJustin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
It does look pretty cheapo but, none the less, i wouldn't say it's a downgrade from an e46.. just a different car. If you went from an E46 M3 to a 335 expecting a sportier car, i think you would be disappointed in almost every area.
but he is comparing a 335 to an e46. regardless a 335 has the engine.... if you are going to spend 50k on a bmw why would you buy a base model e90? These people are just retarded and failed to thoroughly review what they were buying. If you keep buying sh!t products the company will opt to save money and keep producing sh!t..

xJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
I must say from experience that the non-sport seats in the E90s do seem pretty cheap. Other than that, no complaints. The 335 will be my next car
Old 02-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
xJustin

My Ride: '04 330ci
Send a message via AIM to xJustin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
Really sucks. Those front seats are pathetic for any model in the BMW series, yet a 335i.
that's a base model 335... common, you can get a pos base model e46 330 as well. YOU also need to understand that the warranty is filled in with the cost of the car, e90's are problematic cars- especially the 335.

xJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
I am with you on this, when I went to check out the new 3 series coupes I was very disappointed. I wanted to see how the room was in the back seat, but almost couldn't get in because the seat barely moved up. Also, what's with that dumb plastic thing that pushes forward the seat belt? haha
When I got in the back, the clearance was much worse. The materials feel worse and the interior just looks less planned out like you mentioned.
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
dwebb99

My Ride: 330ci
quality keeps going down while the price keeps going up.....it's sad but it is a FACT....plain and simple. I also was shocked at the amount of orange peel in the new paint on BMW's....sad, very sad.
dwebb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #12
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Those interior shots are bullshit and angled in a way to make it look even worse. I don't even think they're from a 335i.

From the looks of it, it's a no optioned car (apart from the auto), what the hell did he expect he was getting. No way it cost 50k. It doesn't even have the power seats, let alone the sports package. The steering wheel and seats suck but that's what you get when you don't order the sports package. If you don't want premium sound, don't get it. If you want a good quality stereo, don't complain when you don't order one.

All in all, from what I can see it's a base model car with no options. Hardly a reason to get up in arms about BMWs quality, the previous E9x's and the E46's without the sports/premium package look the same.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #13
southpaw

My Ride: E36 M3 and E36 318ti
Still a Nissan.

239whp/227wtq @2700lbs
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #14
mpollard

My Ride: 323i
Unfortunately, this has been going on for a long time but it looks like new lows are being reached with the current E-90 interior plastics.

I have a 1998 build E-46 and I noticed de-contenting during the E-46 production run when I would get loaners from the dealer.

This is the reason I happily keep my car and try to maintain it in great condition, since it had so many nice features which are becoming scarce or only available on much more expensive cars.

Blame it on the strong Euro and competition from Korea and soon China.

It will be interesting to see how the quality of the Alabama M-B C-Class compares with the cars formerly assembled in Sindelfingen.

Last edited by mpollard; 02-21-2010 at 08:54 PM.
mpollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
To be realistic all the items you complained about could have been checked before buying the car and if you didn't like the changes then you had the choice of not buying it.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
jmay87

My Ride: e36,e46,e90
those pictures are definitely from a completely stripped no option E90

jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #17
dietzy5

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to dietzy5
as a former employee at a dealership i will totally agree that the warranty is built into the cost. Any of the twin turbo inline 6's had major turbo issues. actuators and wastegates were the most problematic. I believe that this is why they switched to the single turbo design. As the for the build quality i don't think it has changed much since the e9x were introduced, but they definitely do not have the heavy "feel" that an e46 possesses. The new high strength steel is much lighter and almost feels "tinny" like closing a Subaru door as compared to a traditional german vehicle
dietzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #18
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
wow that interior looks like a down grade from a e46...no matter what model...they are cutting corners in interior/comfort to replace on the technology used in the cars performance...engine, suspension, etc etc....but for 50k he has alot of better options out there to choose from *cough Audi cough*...should have done his research.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #19
Ervin87

My Ride: E92 M3 | S4 | E30
Send a message via AIM to Ervin87
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJustin View Post
that's a base model 335... common, you can get a pos base model e46 330 as well. YOU also need to understand that the warranty is filled in with the cost of the car, e90's are problematic cars- especially the 335.
I know that, but they still look like crap for a base model car that starts at $40K. Yes, the e46 base model was crap as well. BMW should have done better with the interior of the newer models, period.

Ervin (Bay Area Detailer)
Ervin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #20
dietzy5

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to dietzy5
and for the record that, those pictures were from a very base 335, no sport, premium or cold weather packages.

Another thing that really bothers me, is it that hard to have split folding seats as a standard option? I believe it is a $600 option unless you get certain packages
dietzy5 is offline   Reply With Quote