E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
SharkmanBMW

My Ride: 03 330xi, 4th bimmer
Send a message via MSN to SharkmanBMW
Wheel alignment - Ideal specs for lowered Xi ?

I have an alignment coming up that will be done by a shop willing to set it to my liking, is there a 'best' or recommended way to align a 330Xi on H&R / Bilstein ?

Just want something to go by, personal experience input, other than whatever the machine spits out. The last shop that did it used to Be the best but i recently lost all faith in them. Whatever they did feels like crap.

Anything special to consider?
Thanks
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
chaso

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I too would like to know this as I may be getting a new set of wheels ad I'm lowered on FK coilovers.

Bump!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App

OEM+ 2001 330xi | Steel Gray | Black | FK Highsports
chaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Are you doing any motorsports or is this just for the street?
Do you value cornering speed (toss-able) over high speed stability (planted feeling)?
Do you have square tires/wheels?

I would go with as much negative front camber as you can get, set the front toe to zero (or ever slightly toed-in), and keep the rear in spec, but on the aggressive side (minimum toe and max camber).

Front camber: -1.5 to -2.5 degrees (spec is -.5 to -1.2)
Front toe: .01 degrees (in) (spec is .01 to .09)
Front caster: 5.0 to 6.0 degrees (spec is 5.0 to 6.0)

Rear camber: -1.0 to -2.0 degrees (spec is -1.0 to -1.5)
rear toe: .08 degrees (in) (spec is .08 to .18)

Zero toe is a "fast" alignment- that is, fast in a straight line.
More negative camber up front will allow you to corner quicker.
Both of the above will reduce the high-speed stability slightly.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
chaso

My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
Are you doing any motorsports or is this just for the street?
Do you value cornering speed (toss-able) over high speed stability (planted feeling)?
Do you have square tires/wheels?

I would go with as much negative front camber as you can get, set the front toe to zero (or ever slightly toed-in), and keep the rear in spec, but on the aggressive side (minimum toe and max camber).

My wheels and tires are not square. Would this apply to me as well?

Thanks for your help.
chaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Here is my allignment from a while back. I am sitting on KW V1's putting me to a ZHP height, not slammed. These are probably not "ideal" but this is what I had done. I have no premature tire wearing.

Allignment Google Pic

any feedback would be great, as I am about to replace some more suspension components and I will most likely return to the same shop for my next allignment

Last edited by TR4G-; 04-18-2012 at 03:43 PM.
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaso View Post
My wheels and tires are not square. Would this apply to me as well?

Thanks for your help.
Yes, but a lot of front camber will wear the inside of your front tires quicker- not as much of an issue if you can rotate.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
SharkmanBMW

Quote:
Are you doing any motorsports or is this just for the street? STREET/ Very Agressive braking/cornering
Do you value cornering speed (toss-able) over high speed stability (planted feeling)? YES
Do you have square tires/wheels? NO, I don't care about rotating, my best friend sells tires and I only drive 10k miles /yr anyways, driving JOY is all I want

As usual, you have the right info
The alignment shop builds race cars, so they told me the same thing about straight line stability... I am willing to sacrifice some for better cornering.
I remember telling you I had no understeer awhile back, that was 100% due to alignment, I re-aligned a few months later and they removed neg camber and I lost the great feel. The M3 rear shocks also seem to cause more oversteer...
I also never used to wear tires unevenly, so, I am willing to try a more extreme setup.

Last edited by SharkmanBMW; 04-18-2012 at 04:46 PM.
SharkmanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
whoops. the google link I provided was private it should be public now
Old 04-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
SharkmanBMW

OK, found a few issues that needed to be fixed prior to aligning.
Needed to replace rear trailing arm bushings & cam bolts before they could start. One was seized and the other cam bolt wasn't adjusting.

It was recommended that I get Camber/Caster plates to fine tune it better, my front Caster is .4 degrees off, but it feels pretty good.
Anyone have experience with camber plates??
I saw Turner has a few models, but only the KMAC seem to fit the Xi. I would likely go with the stage 1 street/race, but for $315, I will definitely try it as is before placing an order.

Here is a copy of the alignment specs - What do you guys think?

Last edited by SharkmanBMW; 04-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.
SharkmanBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Bobby330xi

My Ride: '02 330 XI Auto
Well your caster is within spec, but I don't agree with your camber and toe in settings - unless you are looking for aggressive turning and street driving. I know you said this above, but you might want to dial back those settings closer to factory.

Caster affects your steering attack angle, it will affect your over/understeer and return to center of the steering wheel.
Toe in affects your over/understeer also, but more importantly affects how your car reacts to pot holes and bump steer. A car with more toe in (around 1/4" / .025) will have less bump steer and better overall control. Toe in naturally goes closer to 0 from the drag of the wheels + bearings at higher speeds, the suspension flexes outwards..

However, having less toe in will make the car dart into a corner and dart over a pothole from bump steer.

Personally, for the best compromise between ease of driving, tire wear, and handling, I prefer:
-1 degree front and -1 to -1.2 rear camber.
5.5 degrees caster
0.1 - .25" toe in.
Bobby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
when i had mine done, i told them to put it to the same specs as a zhp and i ended up with -1front, -1.2 rear and 5.5 degrees caster and pretty much 0 toe

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET28/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Kubica

^^ anything less than about -1.8 front camber is not enough for hard cornering- you will roll the front tires over and ride on the sidewall. Even at 42-44psi and tires with the stiffest sidewalls.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Bobby330xi

My Ride: '02 330 XI Auto
Good point, but here is a little extra reading from some guys at the F1 forum and another relevant post about "tire camber".

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie....php?f=6&t=298
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/vie...hp?f=6&t=12268

I agree, if you need a lot of sharp cornering at high speed, you can roll the tire over and ride the sidewall. I don't experience a lot of outside tire wear, only inside, so I don't suspect that to be a problem on my car.
Bobby330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
mps

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Re-opening a not so old thread.. I have 325ci convertible 18" wheels, dropped using H&R springs (sports version; not race). Am a street driver, but take backroads once a week and go as high as 75 on a curve. I certainly care about tire wear. Cant afford $800 every year or so..

Based on the recommendations above, what would be the ideal alignment settings:
CAMBER: -1.2 degree Front and -1.2 Rear
CASTER: 5.5 degrees
TOE IN: 0.1"

Thoughts? Anyone?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #15
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto
How are you guys adjusting camber? Camber bolts? I got konis with eibach springs and they told me there's no camber adjustment on these cars

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
EmFiftyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #16
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmFiftyFour View Post
How are you guys adjusting camber? Camber bolts? I got konis with eibach springs and they told me there's no camber adjustment on these cars

Camber plates up front and adjusting the eccentric bolts in the back.

The "alignment pin" should be removed from the front strut mounts so you can get about -1.6 degrees up front.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 PM   #17
EmFiftyFour

My Ride: 03' 330xi auto
Quote:
Camber plates up front and adjusting the eccentric bolts in the back.

The "alignment pin" should be removed from the front strut mounts so you can get about -1.6 degrees up front.
Thanks. . Too late for that now, except I already have -1.4 deg on front according to the print out. I'm most concerned about drastic uneven tire wear. Will it happen or I'll be OK? Cause I have fresh tires on there and I don't wanna ruin them

EmFiftyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #18
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmFiftyFour View Post
Thanks. . Too late for that now, except I already have -1.4 deg on front according to the print out. I'm most concerned about drastic uneven tire wear. Will it happen or I'll be OK? Cause I have fresh tires on there and I don't wanna ruin them

No, -1.4 degrees of camber will not cause any uneven tire wear. Just make sure you don't have more toe-in than a stock alignment. The closer you get to zero toe, the longer your tires will last. It's also technically faster in a straight line.

I am currently running -3.6 deg of camber up front, -2.5 deg in the rear with all four corners toed-out just a cvnt hair with sticky direzza 2's. They are wearing fairly evenly.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #19
SeattleLSB

My Ride: 2003 330XI
Bump again for more info.

Kubica, with front toe at 0.01/0.02, is this the enough to wear the inside tire? The passenger side which was dialed in at 0.02 smoked the inside of a tire in 7,000 miles while the other side is fine.

Here are the specs.

Front:

Camber: -1.33/-1.44
Caster: 4.34/4.53 - Due to Powerflex Directions saying to put them in backwards, I'm fixing soon.
Toe: 0.01/0.02

Rear:
Camber: -1.10/-1.09
Toe:0.07/0.07
Total Toe:0.14
Thrust Angle:0.00

This was aligned at the BMW Dealership for All Models w/ AWD 17" Wheel 1998-2006 E46

The issue is both my passenger side wheels wore so heavily to the cords.

All the front suspension has been replaced beside the shocks and I ordered new M3 RTAB w/ Limiters to see if that will solve the rear issue? Perhaps they are bad and changing the Toe?

2007 TiAG/BLK 335I Sedan/6SP/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather - Sold

2003 AW/BLK 330XI/AT/Sport/Premium/Cold Weather
SeattleLSB is offline   Reply With Quote