E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
Rwalk

My Ride: 330xi
2001 Xi rear thud, transfer case?

Hey guys,

I have the infamous thud in the rear. I've done everything from bushings to front axles. Still has the "jerk" there is play in my transfer case where the front driver shaft goes to front axle.

I found a 05 auto-magic xi that's been crashed. Will the tcase from that bolt to my manual tranny?

Also, if anyone has a 6 speed manual they're willing to sell I have money!
Rwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
XI Utah

My Ride: 325XIT
Sorry, not sure about the bolt up question. Where in Utah is the wrecked 05' ?. I could use a couple things for my 01 XI Touring
XI Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
Rwalk

I found it on ksl, he hasn't responded back to me tho ::
Old 08-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
Have you checked rear shocks and rear shock mounts?

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
Rwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by My325XI View Post
Have you checked rear shocks and rear shock mounts?

I haven't checked the mounts. The shocks are good tho... I feel that is a drive line issue because if I let the clutch out, the thud happens before it rolls.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 AM   #6
E92xi2e46xi

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwalk View Post
I haven't checked the mounts. The shocks are good tho... I feel that is a drive line issue because if I let the clutch out, the thud happens before it rolls.
****kk i have the same issue on my xi when i shift my mechanic said transfer case was 3000 im about to do fluid chane see if that works i dont know what to do ****kkkkk
E92xi2e46xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
Rwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92xi2e46xi View Post
****kk i have the same issue on my xi when i shift my mechanic said transfer case was 3000 im about to do fluid chane see if that works i dont know what to do ****kkkkk

Let me know how that goes... If not finding a new transfer case or rebuilding the one I have may need to happen
Old 09-16-2015, 11:52 PM   #8
E92xi2e46xi

My Ride: 2003 330xi
Thud Drivng me crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwalk View Post
Let me know how that goes... If not finding a new transfer case or rebuilding the one I have may need to happen
Found a transfer case....installed it...thud still there
Checked tranny mount...everything great...changed
front and rear differential mounts...thud still there
Officially frustrated clueless and mechanic says its normal
and these guys only deal with bmws FACKKKKKKKK
E92xi2e46xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
Gary Goodlund

My Ride: 2001 330xi
E46 330xi driveline thuds...

I bought this '01 330xi (5-speed Manual) in 9/2011 w/128Kmiles and have ~160K now. The "driveline thud" was there already and after talking with my BMW shop, I'm fairly certain it's due to the back-lash in the all-wheel drive. There are so many CV joints between the clutch and the wheels, the back-lash just adds up and the thuds are the result. I don't think the auto-trans exhibits this as much due to the "softer" power transmission with the auto. If I really concentrate on smoothly engaging the clutch, I don't experience the noise... usually!
Gary Goodlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
Rwalk

That was my fear, replacing the tcase to not fix the problem... Many people are telling me it's the front axles... I replaced one a few months ago. I guess I have to do the other now.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #11
Gary Goodlund

I also replaced the right front axle, about 5K miles ago, but that was due to a torn boot and not much grease remaining. It had no effect on the thump that everyone is discussing here. It just doesn't occur if I'm paying attention to my starts & shifts. If I get sloppy, it's more than happy to remind me to keep my mind on the job at hand! ;^)
Old 10-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
I've got an automatic that has a thud, but it only happens on the first downshift between my driveway and the stop sign of a block away when the car is "cold". The next stop is fine. Did it before and after both front axles were replaced.
jmo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
Gary Goodlund

I think I'd suggest that the "thud" as you first drive away is just the driveline "taking up the slack" first thing in the morning... kind of like my back when I first start moving in the morning! Then, due to the automatic gearbox, the driveline is nearly always under some amount of load. That being the significant difference when compared to a manual driveline. The load on a manual is removed just about every time you release the clutch and is applied again when the power is re-applied.

There may be a more detailed, technical explanation out there but from what I've been told, this is fairly close. In my experience, my '01 330xi runs really well, is relatively fast and is very satisfying to drive. Since the late '60s, I've had 2 cylinder BMWs, 4 cylinders, 6 cylinders, and V8s. Except for the R1100RS twin, this is the most responsive, most entertaining BMW I've driven in many years. I driven faster V12s and Flat-Opposed 12 cylinder cars but I wouldn't care to have to support them. This little 4-door sleeper is just innocent enough to slip through the crowd and then rip off down the back roads.

When I think about it, that was pretty much why I bought that first 1967 1600... and then the 2002 a year or so later.

An occasional thump when I forget to pay enough attention to the clutch engagement is a small price to pay... at least that's been my experience.
-Gary