E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
flybird

My Ride: 2002 Bmw 330xi
Axle help

Good day, I own a 2002 330 xi and are in the process of changing out the front differential. The drivers side axel is almost all the way out and can spin freely but will not come completely out. Any help would be appreciated.
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
flybird

Axel removal

Good day, I am working on a 2002 330xi trying to remove the drivers side front axle. It's out far enough to spin freely but will not come out all the way. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
flybird

Axle being stubborn

My front drivers side axle will not come completely away from the differential. It seems to be almost all the way out and spins freely but will not break free. HELP!
Old 07-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Which end won't come out?

Did you drop the knuckle from the strut?
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #5
flybird

Passenger side a breeze

Passenger side came off in no time at all. I would hate to think I will have to drop the differential with the axle attached. Anyone have any idea why the axle would hang up when it seems to be better than three quarters of the way free? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you
Old 07-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
flybird

Passenger side axle a breeze

Passenger side axle came off easily. I would hate to think I will have to drop the differential with the axle attached to it. Any ideas why it would hang up more than three quarters of the way off? Any ideas would be appreciated, thank you
Old 07-11-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
tttomttt

My Ride: 2003 330xi
A little more definition of what your situation is would probably help. Once the shaft is removed from the steering knuckle on the nut side, a couple of blows with a lump hammer and chisel should do the trick to release it from the engine side.
tttomttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:34 AM   #8
flybird

Stuck axle

Thanks for the response. The drivers side front axle is giving me fits. The passenger side came out with no difficulty at all. It's out far enough to turn without the driveshaft turning. But then if you keep turning you start to feel resistance again and the driveshaft turns once more. There's probably a inch and a haft gap from the differential. I've beaten the snot out of this thing to where a new axle will be called for.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:47 AM   #9
flybird

Differential woes

Thanks for the response. The passenger side came out with no difficulty whereas the drivers side is out probably an inch and a half from the differential after a severe beating and prying and any other type of leverage I could muster against it. I can turn it and the driveshaft will not turn, but then I will start to feel resistance again and the driveshaft will once again turn. The differential did run low on oil when the rear seal leaked so I'm not sure if the shaft welded itself or what .
Old 07-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #10
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Diffs make a lot of noise when damaged. You'd know.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
flybird

Differential woes

The only noise it started making after I changed out thr shaft seal was a wine on deceleration, which started turning into a full time wine.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:53 PM   #12
Nicker

My Ride: 323ci
On my non-xi ci I've slammed the rear passenger tire into the curb a couple more times than I'd like to admit.

Upon doing my first wheel bearing change I noticed that one side wouldn't exit smoothly, and getting it back in with a 10lb sledge wasn't happening. Either the splines on the axle were warped or the hub itself was messed up.
Replaced both and everything glided in like butter on hot toast.

To remove the axle I got a 5 Ton Three Jaw Hydraulic Gear Puller from HF, did the trick popping it out.

00' 323ci - 170hp
Nicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:21 AM   #13
flybird

Differential woes

Getting the axle out of the hub wasn't a problem , the differential end is the where the problem awaits. I'm thinking maybe going to autozone and renting a slide hammer with accessories to go with it. I've already beat the crap out of the outer sleeve,I just wonder how much it can take until it will be out of balance . The surface that the seal rides on is ok so far .