E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
karl203

My Ride: 2004 320d sport tour
Unhappy Locked out 'Please Help'

Hi all, My battery has gone dead and the one key lock I have opened the door once but is now refusing to do it again. Any idea's how I can get in. Happy I can sort the problem once in. Looking for a better and cheaper option they smashing a window. All tips greatfully recieved.

Car is a 2004 320d sport tourer.
Cheers Karl
karl203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
luc

My Ride: '04 325i
your wording is confusing.. are you saying the button wont work? because you can just put the key in the lock and turn it..
3 pedals, ZSP, ZPP | bimmerbrakes headers | shark injector | AFE filter / swiss cheese | 17" TRMotorsports C2 | H&R suspension | CF sunroof delete | custom short shifter | clear lights | CDV delete | DIY aux audio in | lots of random $5 mods
gamertag: babyDriver29
luc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
Drizzles

My Ride: 1999 BMW 318i E46 4D
Yeah I agree that is shocking English

BTW, whether it's helpful or not I have one thing to say ...

HAHA!!
Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
GuitarmanTT

My Ride: 1999, E46 328i
I understand you. Your battery is dead and your lock/key is broken. I have three options for you as i worked at a car auction for a year and ran into lots of dead cars with no physical key just a viper fob and this is how we went about it.

1. Door locked out kit. Kit

Basically consists of a air tight bag with a hand pump on it. ( like the pressure cuff they use to check blood pressure )
A screw driver
A strong steel rod 3 - 4 feet long that is bent to give leverage on a door handle.

place a rag in the top back corner of the driver door, with the rag protecting the paint or plastic use a screw driver to pry the door just enough to insert the air bag at the top of the door. You may only get a corner but its better to let the bag pry the door the holding an unforgiving screw driver on your paint. You might need to fill the bag and re insert the driver to hold the door so you can put the bag in a better position. Pump the bag up until you get a 1" gap near the middle of the door, put the 3 foot rod in the door fishing for between the door and the handle and twist it using the curve and the door as a leverage point to pop the handle open unlocking the door.

You could do this without the air bag but you will ding your car if your not careful and you will need a friends help.

2. Find a way to open the hood ??? Getting to the latch and unbolting it or putting tension on the cord that unlatches it. ( thats hard to do because the sheath thats around the cable) Then you can add power to the jumper points and use the key fob.
The hood pop system works great on big trucks because the doors are to high to fiddle with all that stuff and once you get the grill out there is room the unbolt the latch and lift the hood enough to pop the latch most the time.

3. Call a lock smith he will have the above kit in #1 and a lock pick kit and can make you a working key and fix your lock. Best bet!!!!

Whooooooooop
GuitarmanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Doesn't rear door have a key lock you could use? I must be missing something, or there isn't a key slot for it.

Also, OP, you'll be glad to know you're in a large group here and you'll find hundreds of locked out threads.

There's the 'drill a hole behind the rear license plate' idea that I found the link for last week or two for some guy (if you search for me and 'locked out' you might find that. You supposedly can use a hole to then pull on the release for trunk, but that's all I know.

GL...hth

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 04-12-2011 at 04:57 AM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:33 AM   #6
GuitarmanTT

My Ride: 1999, E46 328i
One more thing see if your key opens the trunk, pop the seats down and get in.
GuitarmanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
ataan

My Ride: e46 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarmanTT View Post
One more thing see if your key opens the trunk, pop the seats down and get in.
can you explain how exactly can you go inside the car from the trunk?
ataan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
what about getting into the trunk, hooking up some jumper cables to get the juice flowing and then unlocking the car with your remote?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
bratliff

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
what about getting into the trunk, hooking up some jumper cables to get the juice flowing and then unlocking the car with your remote?
^^^ This was my thought.

And BUY ANOTHER KEY!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataan View Post
can you explain how exactly can you go inside the car from the trunk?
Easily do-able if you have folding rear seats.

For OP, if you have the master key, open the trunk and jump from battery directly. Of course, you cant start the car without getting in it, but if you leave the jumper cables connected to the other car(at least 5 mins) there should be enough juice to get the battery to a state where you can unlock with your remote.
After you are able to get in the car/trunk test the battery.

BMWs take a lot more time to get a jump start from another car if your battery is flat.
Once I had to jump my friend's 5 series. It took 20 mins after connecting the jumper cables to the jump points to get his car started. Yes, I did have my car running at the time at varied rpms.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
You guys can correct me, but the OP said he has a sport tourer, isn't that the station wagon? It would be easy to open the back of the car and get to the front.

I'm confused, he said he used the key once but can't use it again. What's that mean?
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
You guys can correct me, but the OP said he has a sport tourer, isn't that the station wagon? It would be easy to open the back of the car and get to the front.

I'm confused, he said he used the key once but can't use it again. What's that mean?
After reading your comment, I re-read the OP.
Hmm now I am confused too. Does he mean the battery on the key fob went dead and the physical lock-key mechanism doesnt work(worked only once)?

In any case, he should be able to get into the trunk with a physical key, unless he has a valet key or the lock mechanism at the trunk isnt broken.
A touring makes it even easier to get in to the car from the trunk.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
The op was in his car a YEAR AGO. Good threadbump.

not.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control
to be understanding and forgiving. A great man shows his greatness, by the way he treats little men."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote