E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2003, 04:03 AM   #1
daz

My Ride: 2003 Bmw Coupe 330ci
Send a message via AIM to daz
Spray foam to sound deaden the doors

I was just wondering is it ok to use spray foam on the inside of the doors and the rear deck to kill sound? I was just thinking of going to the hardware store and picking up the foam they use as insulation.

Would this work OK? Should I also spray this foam in the trunk area where the spare tire sits?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:03 AM   #2
TDing525i

My Ride: 2002 BMW 525i
I've heard of this before but I'm not sure how well it works. I'd suggest just playing it safe and picking up some Dynamat off of eBay.
TDing525i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
get sound deadener self adhesive sheetsi.e. dynamat, brown bag, or equivelant, spray foam really hard to clean up if gone wrong.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:10 PM   #4
Jeremy152
No longer a worker bee!

My Ride: 2001 Ti AG 330i
This foam might also work to fix the H/K (Harmon Kardon) rear deck rattle. I'm not sure how dense the foam is or how big it expands to. I also don't know enough about the rear deck cavity. I'd hate to spray the foam and have it leak through.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:49 PM   #5
spr0cket

My Ride: 325ci
Don't use expanding foam !!!

Expands everywhere and can flex panels if it can't find anywhere else to go. Sticky as hell, if you get on any upholstery, almost impossible to remove.
Also, when you talk about sound deadening doors, remember to allow drainage holes etc space to still run clear.

There are many brands of self adhesive "bitumen" based dampings available but for sheer workability and performance in a single layered application, the Dyamnat Extreme is hard to beat. Not cheap but you'd need to use a couple, of layers of most others to compare the performance and that just takes more time in the long run thus resulting in no major saving.

You could use foam to fill some of the unused voids over the rear wells etc. but I'd recommned sprying it into a bin liner of some sort to allow it to be easily removed should the need arise. If you're going this route, have a spray bottle of water around and inject some foam, then some spray water, more foam, more spary water etc. The water actually helps the foam to cure thereby stopping the middle from staying a gooey mass.
spr0cket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:13 AM   #6
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
the smell...

the spray foam works well, especially in hard-to-reach areas where dynamat wouldn't work or would be a pain to install.

However be aware of the rubber smell that can last up to a MONTH (especially if theres a lot). Since I used mine in my doors, it was extremely strong.

If you can, just stick w/ dynamatt.
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:00 AM   #7
daz

My Ride: 2003 Bmw Coupe 330ci
Send a message via AIM to daz
Re: the smell...

Quote:
Originally posted by drgalleg
the spray foam works well, especially in hard-to-reach areas where dynamat wouldn't work or would be a pain to install.

However be aware of the rubber smell that can last up to a MONTH (especially if theres a lot). Since I used mine in my doors, it was extremely strong.

If you can, just stick w/ dynamatt.

What type of foam do you recommend?
Old 07-01-2003, 01:54 PM   #8
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
Re: Re: the smell...

I used the dynamat version of it - can't remember the name. Another that I've heard works well is cascade audio's foam.

Quote:
Originally posted by daz

What type of foam do you recommend?
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote