E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
rd5150

My Ride: 325i
seat heater problem

the drivers seat in my 02 325i is not heating properly. the bottom cushion gets extremely warm on any setting, and the back does not heat at all... or if it is, it isnt noticeable.

I looked through realoem but didnt find anything really descriptive about how the heater works. has anyone repaired these? is there a chance that something just became disconnected in the backrest and is causing the lower cushion to overheat? aside from the switch in front of the shifter, and the heating elements, are there any other components? and if necessary, wheres the best place to get new heating elements?
rd5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
There's a chance that the connector for the back seat grid is just unplugged.

My bottom grid got messed up from me kneeling on it...and that stopped my entire seat heat from heating. If I recall, it's a small two wire connector somewhere in the back part of the seat bottom going up. There might be one for the lumbar adjustment if you have that too.

If you check wds.spaghettidecoder.org you should be able to find the wire colors you're looking for...if you can't find anything, call out and I'll check Bentley later.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
rd5150

alright, ill grab a flashlight... now if i could just get this 'B' pillar out of the way
Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
I didn't even know the back would get warm too. Damn, I need to do a heated seat conversion. Is there a DIY retrofit out there?
Yess, I could google it, but what fun is that?
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
I didn't even know the back would get warm too. Damn, I need to do a heated seat conversion. Is there a DIY retrofit out there?
Yess, I could google it, but what fun is that?
Yes, there is. Google it.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
montchobadmoves

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007
Maybe this info can help you. habitually, if 1 heater failed, the others get more power, so you should check for the faulty one.
montchobadmoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
rd5150

alright, disassembled the seat, and backrest. found the two wires i need. resistance between the two is 50 ohms when cold. i applied voltage for about 5 min and tested the resistance again, dropped down to 43. so does anyone know what the resistance is supposed to be for one of these backrest pads?

if nothing else ill measure the resistance on the pass side. however, i cant get to that side right now. and without the drivers seat in, its gonna be quite fun moving the vehicle out of its spot.