E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
justanotherone

My Ride: 02 e46 m3
Transmission & Differential Fluid Change?!

So I'm planning on purchasing this package for Turner Motorsport in order to do both a transmission and differential fluid change. http://www.turnermotorsport.com/show...ils-for-e46-m3
I did some read up on those and this is what I know, the transmission is more towards the middle of the car while the differential is more towards the rear. They seem like pretty simple diy. I just have a few questions.

1) I know the differential you need to change crush washer or o-ring? Is that for both bolts? Do you also need to change those for the transmission?

2) As for the pump needed to transfer the fluid into the different tanks, where would I find that? And by squeezing it would start going up the tube?

3) The thing I'm most confused about is when they say something like tighten to 47 ft-lb? What does that mean? How do I know lol?
justanotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
1) yes that should be two, one for fill and the other for drain plug. Trans has external hex bolts for most years and no washer.
2) the "hand pump" for pushing oil up can be found and most autopart stores. But you need the correct fitting top or canister to put fluid in.
3) the torque setting that a torque wrench is set at. so it's properly tight and does not loosen, or overtight and strip the threads. you will need a set of hex sockets to put on torque wrench.

Here is a DIY on the transmission for reference.
http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_rp_tranny_fluid.shtml
Old 10-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
justanotherone

Cool, they look pretty simple!!! Ordered the parts (fluids) they're suppose to get here on Tuesday... Forgot to order the washer or o-rings, so I'll probably just go get those from the dealer. When the bottles come I'll go get the correct pump fitting for them and get a torque wrench as well. Oh and a breaker bar.... And they really seem to stress the fact that the car needs to be level, so I might have to just go out and buy 4 jack stands and a hydraulic jack... Plus, I'll have them handy for future diys!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherone View Post
Cool, they look pretty simple!!! Ordered the parts (fluids) they're suppose to get here on Tuesday... Forgot to order the washer or o-rings, so I'll probably just go get those from the dealer. When the bottles come I'll go get the correct pump fitting for them and get a torque wrench as well. Oh and a breaker bar.... And they really seem to stress the fact that the car needs to be level, so I might have to just go out and buy 4 jack stands and a hydraulic jack... Plus, I'll have them handy for future diys!
You'll never regret buying a quality tool. You can do almost anything with a socket set, jack, jack stands, and a torque wrench. These tools pay for themselves in the first use (mine did).

Last edited by WDE46; 10-12-2012 at 08:51 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Alex323Ci

Quote:
if you aren't very mechanical, I can not stress enough how important it is to be certain the car is secure and you're safe if you get under it! don't risk it if you're not sure it's safe.
as for tools, if you plan to use for decades buy the good brand. if just starting out and might not use to often(as much as I say these tools are cheap china made) Harbor Freight has inexpensive torque wrenches, hex socket kit for diff plug, and breaker bars.
a heads-up that the BMW diff fluid bottle has a built-in spigot that pulls out to reach the diff fill plug. when it gets close to empty start using the other bottle. then marry the two for the final top off.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
if you aren't very mechanical, I can not stress enough how important it is to be certain the car is secure and you're safe if you get under it! don't risk it if you're not sure it's safe.
A thousand times this. Have fun with your DIY, but also be safe.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Alex323Ci

since you have an M3 here is another DIY on the diff fluid that might be useful
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...t=differential
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
justanotherone

@WDE46 Haha, I hope not. I figured they'd pay for themselves, although the first time around it may be cheaper to bring to a local indy shop (save on hydraulics, stands, tools). However, after a few oil changes and just regular usage on other cars it will prove profitable!!

@Alex323Ci Dude you have no idea how much you're scaring me lol. I'm not very mechanical at all and I'm kind of nervous cause I don't want to go do something and mess up the car, but I guess I gotta start somewhere. If I had the money to bring the baby to the dealer every time something came up I would and feel much more at ease, but I can't. If really necessary I could take it to them or an indy shop, cause the charge for something like this prob isn't too much, but figured it'd be beneficial to save money in the long run! About being safe under the car, I bought a set of ramps when I was doing my first do it yourself on it (fuel filter change) although I still had to elevate it using jacks which I know now isn't safe at all. http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_jacking.shtml I'm going to follow this guide to get my car on 4 jack stands. I don't know if I'm going to be using the pieces of wood, do you think that's really necessary? I know I could probably get some at home depot. My driveway kind of goes uphill into the garage, is that going to be an issue? Also, thanks for the two links!! Appreciate you bro!!

@choxor Yes, I'm going to follow this guide, already have ramps! http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_jacking.shtml Do you think not having the pieces wood is a big deal? My driveway kind of goes uphill into the garage, is that going to be an issue? I'll enjoy being a grease monkey as much as I can lol!!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
Before draining any fluid, make sure the "fill" plug/bolt can be taken off, then drain the diff or gearbox.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
justanotherone

@lucky_doggg7 is this for the differential? I believe I'm suppose to remove that one first using a breaker bar and some fluid will drain from there and then remove the other bolt (drain bolt?).

@Alex323Ci I forgot to ask, can you elaborate on this "built-in spigot that pulls out to reach the diff fill plug" and what I'm suppose to do when it gets close to empty? Is this for the transmission or differential?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #11
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
Just Another One - quite simply, make sure you are able to refill both the gear box and the rear differential by first breaking loose the fill plugs first; imagaine a scenario where you drain the gear box and/or the diff and then for some reason, you couldn't get the fill plug off to fill it gear box with LT2 and the diff with that special Castrol diff fluid. You'd be up a creek; so to prevent this, just make sure the fill plug for both items will break loose first.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #12
justanotherone

@lucky_doggg7 Oh alright! Makes sense, good tip! Thanks!! I take it "gear box" is a synonym for transmission... Only thing I'm really worried about is finding a correct pump.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
Zenocchio

My Ride: M3 vert e46 SMG
I just have the fluids changed too,
and seriously it is cheaper to take it to any lube change shops and have them doing it, it costs less than buying pump torque wrench, stands and tools...
I did my valve adjustment and put my car on stands last weekend, i changed the fuel filter but there is no room under the car and it is so tight that i preferred to take it to a shop for the fluids, 50$ and 45 min later my car was smooth as silk

Last edited by Zenocchio; 10-13-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Zenocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #14
justanotherone

@Zenocchio lol that's how I felt a first, but I think it's safe to assume after a while they will pay for themselves, after a couple uses. Only if I had a lift or something haha. Is the valve adjustment hard?d
Old 10-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
justanotherone - I had a mixed experience with the drain and fill plugs on my '04. I was expecting to need new crush washers for each plug, only to find out that some had rubber seals integrated into the bolt. The seals were in good shape so I re-used them. It is a pain, but you may want to consider buying new crush washers AND new plugs in case some have the rubber seal and are worn out.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #16
a32axo

My Ride: 2004 bmw 330CI
What tools are used to get the transmission fill bolt off seems like it's a tight spot.
a32axo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
YGOSLO

My Ride: 03 CarbonSchwartz M3
OP, don't worry. I'm not mechanically inclined and I did the fuel filter, oil and filter, diff and tranny fluids in one afternoon. If you know how to tighten and loosen bolts, you'll be OK. Main thing is to check out the DIYs, go over them a few times before you start. I printed them out and have a copy handy. Plus vids on YouTube helped. I'm much more confident after that first round and like my M even more having done the work myself. And as said before, safety cannot be stressed enough. Take your time, do it right and you be OK.

2003.5 Carbon Black/Imola Red ///M3 Coupe: Stock
2003 SVT Ford Mustang Cobra: Not Stock

Last edited by YGOSLO; 10-13-2012 at 06:39 PM.
YGOSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
Zenocchio

My Ride: M3 vert e46 SMG
Quote:
@Zenocchio lol that's how I felt a first, but I think it's safe to assume after a while they will pay for themselves, after a couple uses. Only if I had a lift or something haha. Is the valve adjustment hard?d
the valve adjustment is a lengthy process but really easy if you have all the tools
Zenocchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
justanotherone

@Zenochhio ahh ok

@YGOSLO Wooot that's encouraging lol.

@a32axo Haven't done it yet, but it seems you only need a socket wrench and 8mm and 17mm sockets. And also preferably a breaker bar for removing/un-tightening and a torque wrench to re-tighten in order to meet manufacturers specifications

@LeMansteve Thanks for that, I'll buy both just in case!

I was at home depot today buying a door knob, and while there I decided to check the prices for torque wrench and breaker bars. I think the torque wrench was like $70. I then stopped at Advanced Auto Parts to check the price of the hydraulic jacks, torque wrench, breaker bar, jack stands, etc. They have a torque wrench 10-80ft./lb. range for $20, A 2 ton hydraulic Jack for $35, and 2 2 ton jack stands for $25. That's $80. I bought a breaker bar from them for $20 so now I'm committed definitely doing it myself! Now I'm assuming with the price of a pump (tube) and crush washers, rubber seals, pieces of wood, I'm going to spend around $120?

Edit: Apparently you can borrow tools from stores like Advanced Auto Parts/Autozone. I think I might look into that.

I did see a "garage jack" there (Advanced Auto Parts), is there a difference between a hydraulic jack and a garage jack? The garage jack seemed to be lower, as in it would have an easier time getting below the vehicle. But it $100 as oppose to the hydraulic jack for just $35. Although, it was 2.5 ton, still doubt that extra 1/2 ton is the reason for it being 3x as much.

Last edited by justanotherone; 10-14-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Adding additional information
Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
justanotherone

From the diys I've read I haven't seen anywhere indicating that you need a special socket. According to Turner Motorsport you do, can anyone elaborate on that?
I'm assuming the drain plugs can still be remove with a regular wrench socket, but maybe with some forcing?

Edit: Links:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-55...tool-14mm.aspx
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-55...tool-17mm.aspx

Last edited by justanotherone; 10-14-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Added additional information