E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #21
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
The S54 in my opinion is superior to the 2jz-gte. Both have the same amount of main bearings. Both have oil squirters and both are straight 6 motors. But to even get into the same horsepower level with the S54 head, the 2jz-gte would need head work. Just my $.02
I have to disagree somewhat. I have a car at the shop that is a 9.8-1 2J 3.4L and it made 950 rwhp with a 6766 and 1130 rwhp with a 7275 turbo. The car's head is stock except for kelford cams. The 2J is simple bullet proof in stock form up to 1000 crank HP and when built it has been engine dynoed well over 2000 hp. It has propelled many cars to low 6 second quarter miles and over 250 in the standing mile. The stock head / stock cam setup on the BMW does flow quite a bit better on the BMW though. I am not sure that anyone has really pushed the BMW engine with the proper parts. Maybe with a larger intercooler, bigger cams and a better exhaust manifold the BMW would prove superior? It certainly does outperform the 2J at lower boost levels but there seems to be a bottle neck somewhere. And don't forget that you do not have to sleeve the 2J block to handle high HP. Both are great motors though no doubt!
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
E85head

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasberry View Post
What he Said
What does it look like?
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #23
7to3_enthusiast

My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
I have to disagree somewhat. I have a car at the shop that is a 9.8-1 2J 3.4L and it made 950 rwhp with a 6766 and 1130 rwhp with a 7275 turbo. The car's head is stock except for kelford cams. The 2J is simple bullet proof in stock form up to 1000 crank HP and when built it has been engine dynoed well over 2000 hp. It has propelled many cars to low 6 second quarter miles and over 250 in the standing mile. The stock head / stock cam setup on the BMW does flow quite a bit better on the BMW though. I am not sure that anyone has really pushed the BMW engine with the proper parts. Maybe with a larger intercooler, bigger cams and a better exhaust manifold the BMW would prove superior? It certainly does outperform the 2J at lower boost levels but there seems to be a bottle neck somewhere. And don't forget that you do not have to sleeve the 2J block to handle high HP. Both are great motors though no doubt!
Peak hp is nice but from your experience, which motors (at similar boost levels and similar sized turbos) have a larger power band and/or make more torque? I know there are a lot of other factors, but what would your opinion be? Ceteris paribus, 2jzs have always seemed like dyno queen motors or highway monsters. Not suitable for a worthy track car because the boost would come in relatively late and VERY hard making traction nearly impossible at low gears...correct me if I'm wrong.

04 LSB M3
6sp, BSW stage 1, 19" Forgestar, PSS's, MXP exhaust, K&n intake, h&r springs, koni shocks.
87 rx7 tII 6266 BB .84 a/r in the works
00 Saturn sc2, DD, 36+ mpg
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #24
E46inthe206

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen78 View Post
Letr know when you're ready, I am putting one in my e46 right now and I'm also in Seattle.
Awesome! Definitely let me know how that turns out, maybe we could meet up at a meet sometime and I could take a look at it (as well as everyone else).
If it's not too much to ask, could you message me the details of your swap/expenses and where you're getting it done at? Just to sort of give me a ballpark after where I'd be power-wise after I spend a certain amount.

Last edited by E46inthe206; 10-15-2012 at 12:06 PM.
E46inthe206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7to3_enthusiast View Post
Peak hp is nice but from your experience, which motors (at similar boost levels and similar sized turbos) have a larger power band and/or make more torque? I know there are a lot of other factors, but what would your opinion be? Ceteris paribus, 2jzs have always seemed like dyno queen motors or highway monsters. Not suitable for a worthy track car because the boost would come in relatively late and VERY hard making traction nearly impossible at low gears...correct me if I'm wrong.
Well here is the dyno sheet of a 2J on E85, 3.4L with both 6766 and 7275. If you can find a dyno sheet of the BMW motor with similar turbos we can compare power bands.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #26
7to3_enthusiast

My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
I can see what I can find after work...I imagine from google search I'd pretty much just pull up HPF's charts...none of which run that high of boost I don't believe lol.

04 LSB M3
6sp, BSW stage 1, 19" Forgestar, PSS's, MXP exhaust, K&n intake, h&r springs, koni shocks.
87 rx7 tII 6266 BB .84 a/r in the works
00 Saturn sc2, DD, 36+ mpg
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #27
E85head

My Ride: E46 M3
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	473992

30 psi
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #28
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85head View Post

That does not help as it is an 82 mm turbo!!

Here is the same turbo on a 2J !!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #29
str8dum1

My Ride: VQ38DETT
craigs car is a dyno standout for sure.

Engine control is very simple and straight forward on a 2JZ. The cams arent even being controlled in current E46s by the aftermarket ECUs. I gained 60-80whp just by changing my cam angles over stock, and that was just intake cams on a VQ. There is so much power being left on the table with current E46 tunes that do employ full vanos control with aftermarket cams

Def would love to see a E46 with a 5" fender cutout exhaust where the vent is now

Last edited by str8dum1; 10-15-2012 at 02:18 PM.
str8dum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
What I like best about this car is that there is literally NO smoke coming out of the back of the car. Well built and perfectly tuned! SICK
Old 10-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #31
str8dum1

there is no smoke out the back because the exhaust exits in front of the passenger door.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #32
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8dum1 View Post
there is no smoke out the back because the exhaust exits in front of the passenger door.

There is no smoke coming out of the front either!!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #33
str8dum1

alcohol FTW!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:00 PM   #34
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
craigs car is a dyno standout for sure.

Engine control is very simple and straight forward on a 2JZ. The cams arent even being controlled in current E46s by the aftermarket ECUs. I gained 60-80whp just by changing my cam angles over stock, and that was just intake cams on a VQ. There is so much power being left on the table with current E46 tunes that do employ full vanos control with aftermarket cams

Def would love to see a E46 with a 5" fender cutout exhaust where the vent is now
FYI. AEM controls cams on s54 HPF turbo
Old 10-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #35
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
Maybe with a larger intercooler, bigger cams and a better exhaust manifold the BMW would prove superior? It certainly does outperform the 2J at lower boost levels but there seems to be a bottle neck somewhere. And don't forget that you do not have to sleeve the 2J block to handle high HP. Both are great motors though no doubt!
The S54 runs at that BMW spec angle rather than straight up and down. That makes for some serious space restrictions on the exhaust side of the engine bay. I would bet 10 dollars that the the log style exhaust manifold that HPF uses is the bottleneck.

HPF has this recommendation that sleeved be used in their stage 4, however they had 1k whps being produced by a non-sleeved block if memory serves. Even with the extra boost pressure required to overcome the possible exhaust manifold restriction, it didn't seem to compromise the 0.020 over-bored setup they ran. So maybe sleeves are optional on an S54 setup targeting just over 1k whp. I may be wrong about this so feel free to chime in anyone.

Perhaps these manifold restrictions has been resolved in their drag setup, but the dyno readings through the TH400 auto doesn't really compare well to the 6spd, especially with that torque convertor. Does anyone know more about that?

PS, what angle is that S54 slanted at? Does anyone know for sure?
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
boostedisbetter

Quote:
LOL NO, there is no smoke because it is tuned perfectly and there is no leakage of oil from ANY part of the motor build OR the turbo seals.

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 10-15-2012 at 03:19 PM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #37
being3
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
LOL NO, there is no smoke because it is tuned perfectly and there is no leakage of oil from ANY part of the motor build OR the turbo seals.
Don't forget if the car is off it doesn't smoke at all. Lol
Old 10-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #38
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
Don't forget if the car is off it doesn't smoke at all. Lol
LOL, I hope your joking or you are missing the point along with the other guy lol. You hardly EVER see a dyno-tune where the car doesn't spit a little rich smoke. This thing is PERFECT!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #39
being3
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
LOL, I hope your joking or you are missing the point along with the other guy lol. You hardly EVER see a dyno-tune where the car doesn't spit a little rich smoke. This thing is PERFECT!
I was joking for sure. even stock turbos have some smoke Great work on a nice build
Old 10-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #40
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Thanks guys!