E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
SH4DY

My Ride: '04 330Ci
330: low coolant temps?

This is the first fall/winter I've had my 04 330Ci and I've noticed some things that my 03 325i didn't do. It's been in the mid 40's here at night recently and while driving the needle on the coolant gauge won't get any higher than half way between the first graduation mark and straight up. It actually stays closer to the first mark if I maintain speeds of 50+ mph. If I'm in stop and go traffic it will eventually get to the middle (straight up) which had been the norm, but if I am able to maintain higher speeds it will drop down again.

Originally I had been worried that my MPG would be shot because I wasn't sure about how the fuel enrichment worked with these cars and the coolant temp but it doesn't really seem to effecting it that much.

In the last 6 months I've replaced the surge tank and cap with OEM units, replaced the water pump with a generic brand and installed an OE sized ECS tuning aluminum water pump pulley.

So, any thoughts? Is this typical? My motorcycles have exhibited this behavior but I've never had a car do this...
SH4DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
e46jki44

My Ride: e46 325i sedan
Thermostat could be stuck open. Do you have a check engine light? I get a cel that comes on once every few weeks and turns back off a few days later for coolant temp taking too long to get to operating temperature.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
e46jki44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
SH4DY

My Ride: '04 330Ci
No cel. Warms up to the first mark pretty quickly. Heat definitely works inside car...

Sent from my PH44100 using Bimmer App
SH4DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #4
aikmanson

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Sounds like the thermostat to me. Do yourself a favor and put a new one in, you've done the rest of the cooling system anyways.
aikmanson is offline   Reply With Quote