E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Engine Rebuild or Crazy Talk?

My car, now at 70K something miles, is zipping along just dandy.

I'm wondering what the future for the poor devil is? The car is receiving excellent care and plenty-O-new parts. The killer question is - can I keep it and plan to tear around when she hits the dreaded 200K mark with a fresh engine and trans? I really dislike E90's.

I've never read anything where guys have a complete engine rebuild. I know there are no German engine builders in my zip code. I think the cylinders are Nickosel treated and when worn, are probably scrap? Can these 6-banger's be steel sleeved?

This whole thing came from a stupid Craig's list ad I spotted. Some guy, who I intend to check out, is selling the complete engine and auto trans out of his '04. He claims " we are just making it chevy powered"!! I never imagined that's even possible.

My thought was along the lines of buying the old engine and having it rebuilt for the future. The after-thought is, maybe the seller is on the right track as the cost of rebuilding may be so ridiculous, "I could'a had a V-8"?

Edit: Here's the ad:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/3421437280.html

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 12-16-2012 at 04:22 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
That is a M56 motor. No good for your car.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
White_Knuckles

Thanks, I just caught that after talking to the seller today. It's the SULEV flavor which I thought was just bolt-on emissions stuff, not a totally different engine.

Here's that crazy thing, he has proto typed a 325I with a 400CI V-8 and 700R4 trans. He said this has been done with the E36. The guy is marketing this swap with his shop installing the whole thing for $4000 out the door. The crazy part is he fitted the monster with headers retaining the factory radiator, serpentine belt, A/C, power steering and alternator with custom CNC brackets. He has his own design engine/trans mount kit he will not sell separately. They adapted the factory shifter and tach to work. You can't tell or lose any features inside the cabin. He even tweaked the ECU Can-Bus to read the V-8's crank position and O2 sensors and not flag emission codes.

The challenge was getting the hood clearance, making sure plugs and the oil filter were serviceable and shortening the factory drive line. He is sending some "spy photos" to me. This is an M3 killer with no suspension mods performed yet sits level. I'm thinking of finding a high-mile convertible and stuffing that baby in. It would be an A/C Cobra with a BMW badge. Wheeeee!!

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 12-16-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
UNFORGIVEN
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Bagged Stang, 330CI

You have definitely peaked my interest with this.

Special thanks to Mr. AWD for the new sig...
UNFORGIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNFORGIVEN View Post

You have definitely peaked my interest with this.
+1000!

This is cheaper than a supercharger to boot.

In terms of rebuilding your engine if you keep up with the maintenance and swapping parts that need to be gone, you shouldn't have any need to rebuild anything at 200k other than maybe the autotragic trans if it decides to die. If you have an MT, then that's one more issue off the table. Just keep going with what you're doing and enjoy it.

Edit to add: Swapping a V8 into a 323i wagon would be bomb. The look on some poor sucker's face when you roast him at the lights would be priceless.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 12-17-2012 at 01:10 PM.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
v8madhatter

My Ride: 2001 325ci/2004 325i
well I am about two weeks from start-up and four from test drive.All mounts are complete and installed headers are in and cooller lines are conected to stock cooller.no mods to steering or suspention were done.chevy v8 400ci and 700r4 trans installed in maner to keep front and rear wieght ratio the same.factory a/c,p/s,alt are all being used.factory radiator,fan and shroud have also been fit.cnc adapters to run bmw balancer and pulleys on chevy engine with trigerwheel for crank sensor to run fuel system, tack ,and engine speed to ecm. Stock cats and o2 sensors can be installed to pass emissions as needed.have removed gas pedal and installed cable pedal. Stock shifter is to be used with kick down cable for down shifting. Hood will close with out any evidence of modification.
v8madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
White_Knuckles

Ho... Ho... Ho PICS ARE UP

To be clear, my prior post may be misleading. The 4K out the door comment was to indicate installation of course not to include a new engine/trans. Hopefully - Captain Obvious but you never know? >> I encouraged the builder v8madhatter to register and discuss his madness!! He has landed post 1 above. He's thinking an XI may make for a worthy candidate? He's MAD I tell you!! MAD!!

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 12-17-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
White_Knuckles

This thread seemed to die from the title. I think this V-8 swap is interesting enough to start a new thread over on the General Forum.

Sorry Mods if this is a forum rules issue. Move as needed.

Here's the newest post over in General: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...4#post14997854
Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

My Ride: BMW 325 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
My car, now at 70K something miles, is zipping along just dandy.

I'm wondering what the future for the poor devil is? The car is receiving excellent care and plenty-O-new parts. The killer question is - can I keep it and plan to tear around when she hits the dreaded 200K mark with a fresh engine and trans? I really dislike E90's.

I've never read anything where guys have a complete engine rebuild. I know there are no German engine builders in my zip code. I think the cylinders are Nickosel treated and when worn, are probably scrap? Can these 6-banger's be steel sleeved?

This whole thing came from a stupid Craig's list ad I spotted. Some guy, who I intend to check out, is selling the complete engine and auto trans out of his '04. He claims " we are just making it chevy powered"!! I never imagined that's even possible.

My thought was along the lines of buying the old engine and having it rebuilt for the future. The after-thought is, maybe the seller is on the right track as the cost of rebuilding may be so ridiculous, "I could'a had a V-8"?

Edit: Here's the ad:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/3421437280.html
All the **** talkin on my thread about mods and coming from the guy who put a Chevy engine in his bimmer I've seen it all
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
miweber929

My Ride: 02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou3viLL3sLuGGa View Post
All the **** talkin on my thread about mods and coming from the guy who put a Chevy engine in his bimmer I've seen it all
Welcome to the Internet, where everyone is a master mechanic on someone else's car.....

What did he do here in this thread that's so wrong anyway? And how's this got anything over your desire to put cheap ass "CF" and the lowest quality crap guido stuff on your car?

Chill dude. It's only a forum filled with lots of assholes on both sides, and guess what? You don't HAVE to post or visit here. Be the bigger man and just walk away, you're now trolling for a fight.

Last edited by miweber929; 02-26-2013 at 08:07 AM.
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou3viLL3sLuGGa View Post
He hasn't, he just made a comment that someone else has so chill out.

People don't give two sh!ts about what you put on your car but it all honestly looks like crap. Angel eyes are over done, and a poorly built CF trunk for what? It's all show and no go.

You'd fit in rather well in New Jersey.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
He hasn't, he just made a comment that someone else has so chill out.

People don't give two sh!ts about what you put on your car but it all honestly looks like crap. Angel eyes are over done, and a poorly built CF trunk for what? It's all show and no go.

You'd fit in rather well in New Jersey.
You'd fit it in rather well in saved by the bell ***** take your bone stock orient blue which has lowering springs and put a ford motor in it like your **** buddy white knuckles and get a life thinking your somebody special because you don't agree with the way in which I want to mod my car guess what I don't care and I would never get on a forum and do nothing but degrade others for their choices man opinions are like asses and you've got a few butt hurt ones
Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

Smh you'd rather see a Chevy motor in a BMW than someone trying to get clear lighting for a cleaner look wow you all are some genuine BMW German engineer fans
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
SamDoe1

You seem to think we care about what you do to your car...we don't. We care that you make comments and insults like you're doing now and attacking people who have been on this forum and learned everything they know about this car through experience and reading.

No one is stopping you from putting clear lights or a CF trunk because no one cares but when you come out like a jackass and start insulting people, they tend to fight back. If I made a thread asking what oil to use, I fully expect to get flamed but when asked to search, a simple "ok, I'll see what I can find" would do just fine.

On top of that, we're all car fans and there's nothing car fans like more than sleepers. No one wants to take their stock motor out of their car while it works, WK was commenting on doing this when his engine failed.

How long have you had this car? Don't talk about being a fan of German engineering until you've owned and worked on your car for several years and tens of thousands of miles.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
Lou3viLL3sLuGGa

This is my second BMW in my 13 years of driving 9 have been a bimmer. Also, check the posts I was the one who is "only fighting back" you were the ones on the offensive.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #16
White_Knuckles

Yo Louie, you have an amazing way of making yourself look stupid with your jabbing comments. But I'm certainly entertained. Should you have actually read the post, I'm representing another owners car not mine. I'm truly honored you've been searching out my posts to find something character damaging. Keep looking, this one didn't work. You'll discover I help people and enjoy sharing information. In your case, I simply made a joke about a carbon fiber glovebox door. It was meant to be funny but you got all "butt-hurt". This forum is a blend of experience and spans several age groups. Nobody likes this drama so give it up or bow out gracefully. The "General" forum is chuck full of mods you can go crazy with. They might even take on a good banter with you if that's what your looking for?

To be clear, some of us hang out here to get away from the Halo's, LED tails, tinting, intakes and endless bolt-on world in the General forum. It's old news and some (like me) poke fun to get laughs from the old guys. Don't take it personally.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 03-02-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
gferrer

My Ride: '91 318is/ '03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
+1000!

This is cheaper than a supercharger to boot.

Edit to add: Swapping a V8 into a 323i wagon would be bomb. The look on some poor sucker's face when you roast him at the lights would be priceless.
I just pictured that! Sleeper much, unless the "chug,chug,chug,chug (almost stalls)...chug,chug" sound from an over sized cam doesn't give it away.
gferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
v8madhatter

My Ride: 2001 325ci/2004 325i
Hello. Just a quick note to let you all know, the v8maddhatter-my wonderful husband and creater of my 'Chimmer' along with my beautiful daughter passed away in a crappy accident on January 26th. My husband was building this car for me, he wanted me to have all the comforts of my BMW with his beloved Chevy engine and ability to race anyone/anywhere/anytime. The Chimmer will one day soon be on the road, and I will proudly drive it to whatever show or whatever to let you all see it. Sorry for the slow response. Thank you for your continued interest.
v8madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
White_Knuckles

I'm saddened with your post. I very much enjoyed speaking with your husband and sharing his enthusiasm with Chimmer. Thank you for posting back here with the follow-up.

Chimmer shall indeed be on the road!!

Gregg in Spokane