E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Nerdy46

My Ride: 328i
Pre Cut Tint?

Anyone have a source for quality tint in Precut sheets
Nerdy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
What companys are you considering so far?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
Nerdy46

none... just planning on buying a roll of 3m and doing it myself
Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Stinger9

Good Luck

If you have skills, that's cool.
I did my own tint seven years ago with pre-cut tint from this company:
http://www.gilafilms.com/en/Automotive-Tint.aspx
But I surmise they don't do pre-cut any longer. A hassle to do each car on the road no doubt.
Anyway doing it my way was difficult enough. For the most part mine was done well and lasts to this day, doing a remarkable job in the AZ and NM heat of summer!
I would think doing the job from a roll would be nasty. Please let us know how you make out. Or if you have any other questions for me?

Last edited by Stinger9; 05-08-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Nerdy46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
If you have skills, that's cool.
I did my own tint seven years ago with pre-cut tint from this company:
http://www.gilafilms.com/en/Automotive-Tint.aspx
But I surmise they don't do pre-cut any longer. A hassle to do each car on the road no doubt.
Anyway doing it my way was difficult enough. For the most part mine was done well and lasts to this day, doing a remarkable job in the AZ and NM heat of summer!
I would think doing the job from a roll would be nasty. Please let us know how you make out. Or if you have any other questions for me?
Yes, How is the gila film quality??? I cant seem to get 3m locally in smaller then 100ft roll..

Tinting a car is easy from a roll.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Gila is terrible...

Try this guy: http://www.tintstuff.tv/

Only sells good quality film and a good selection of it as well. He has a number of youtube videos showing great installation procedures, etc. Also very responsive and helpful via email.
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I feel like precut film would be hard to put on perfectly. Wouldn't a roll just be easier, then you razor blade it with a tool thath holds a 1-2mm gap on the edges.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherbs View Post
Gila is terrible...
Eight years and looks like new. Hard to argue with that!

Precut made things very easy.

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-14-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
GSherbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Eight years and looks like new. Hard to argue with that!.
If it worked for you and you are happy with the results - great! Would love to see some pics.

I've been researching this quite a bit. Just about everything I've read online says that there is very good reason that they cost 1/5th what the top-of-the-line films cost.

Major complaints I've seen with Gila film:
- has a purplish tint to it, even when new
- becomes more purplish over time
- difficult to shrink, especially so for rear windshield
- bubbles up over time (although i suspect this has more to do with careless installation than the film itself)
- poor heat reflectivity
- the sizes they sell generally result in a lot of wasted material and the need to buy more rolls (particularly for sedans).

All that being said, Gila is cheap enough that you can buy a few rolls and give it a go. If you don't like the results, take it off and re-do with 3M or some other high-end brand. Worst case, you'll get some practice installing that might be worth the extra time & expense. Best case, you like the results and are done.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
Stinger9

I hate purple and bubbles! And maybe they've changed since I bought my pre-cut from them. I know they're out of that business. Even back then the company had an unreliable website and poor response in customer service.
Mind is holding up fine, but admittedly it does not sit out in the sun as it is a garage queen. But when I'm driving around AZ, NM, TX, etc., it does a fine job wih the heat.

Can see couple pics in my garage.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
GSherbs

Very good looking ride!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
Ruthlessone3k

My Ride: 323i
Just pay someone to do it. Tint is one of those things where it is just worth paying to have it done by pros. The tint that the pros are using now is much better than the stuff you can buy off the shelf, and probably better than the precut stuff as well. A local place here in Germany has even started using a tint that can be applied cleanly over dot matrix, you can't even tell the dot matrix is there. I dont know what it is called but I watched him apply some and it is more like a wrapping vinyl than traditional window film and it looks great and doesn't crease easily like traditional tint. I think it is the same type of stuff they do headlights with, but I can't confirm it.
Ruthlessone3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthlessone3k View Post
Just pay someone to do it. Tint is one of those things where it is just worth paying to have it done by pros. The tint that the pros are using now is much better than the stuff you can buy off the shelf, and probably better than the precut stuff as well. A local place here in Germany has even started using a tint that can be applied cleanly over dot matrix, you can't even tell the dot matrix is there. I dont know what it is called but I watched him apply some and it is more like a wrapping vinyl than traditional window film and it looks great and doesn't crease easily like traditional tint. I think it is the same type of stuff they do headlights with, but I can't confirm it.
+1. Just pay somebody to do it right.

There are few things in life that look worse than a poorly executed tint job. Seriously. (I assume that if you could do a well executed tint job, you would not be asking where to buy tinting materials.)
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthlessone3k View Post
Reasonable general advice, but I like to do things myself to learn the details of how things work. Also have pride in my work after I'm finished. And had no problems with the eight year old technology when I put my tint over my dot-matrix. Just followed the directions from the manufacturer. Still going strong!

And self-applied Lamin-X on my headlights is still in great shape too.

Oh, and did my own clear bra too. Very challenging.

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-14-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
Nerdy46

Thats what i had heard about gila tint... I was taught by a professional and have the means to do it properly.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
FastHackem

My Ride: E60 M5
I bought precut Blackbox Alpine Series for my Cayenne. Need to get it installed though.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer App

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing.
2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944
FastHackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #17
Commando

My Ride: '02 325Ci Manual
I bought pre-cut 3M film on eBay from USA. There is not a lot of difference in cost between the cheapest and the best so just do it. After viewing all the vids etc. I got a professional to install it. I'm glad I did that. It still took about 3 hours in my 2 door and I had the parcel shelf out already.
My installer advised I was lucky I got genuine film too. Anyway mine was LASER-cut exactly to the edges and I was able to go 10% darker for the back window buying pre-cut. My factory glass has about 10% tint already if legislation (those laws we all wanted) is an issue.

Pre-cut does not save a professional a lot of time.

The install costs more than the film but do it.
Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #18
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando View Post

Pre-cut does not save a professional a lot of time.

The install costs more than the film but do it.
Precut is not for the pros who do this in their sleep.
It's for amateurs like me to compensate for my lack of experience.
Keeps the borders looking professional & really sharp!