E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
gordo325xiwagon

My Ride: '01 325xit Step
Oil Filter Housing Gasket? Need confirmation

1) Is this a typical drip pattern for an oil filter housing gasket leak?
2) Is there any other possible leak source I should review?

There was a small spot of oil on the driver's side lower shield, directly under the front differential housing. The diff fill and drain plugs are not leaking, nor is the drive axle seal leaking. Also the power steering hoses and fittings all appear dry.

The area shown in the pic below was clean and dry 1500 miles ago. There is a little oil on the front oil pan casting which makes me think the oil filter housing gasket has started to degrade. Yes?

1993 300 ZX Twin Turbo (360hp @16psi) // 1997 Jag XK8 Luxor Cruiser // 2001 325xit Best Blend of Ride and Handling
gordo325xiwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
schloe

My Ride: 2004 325xi Touring
That's what mine looked like. I just did a marathon day of OFHG and VCG replacement. The OFHG looked like it was leaking like a sieve once i got everything off. Hopefully this fixes my oil leaks.

Last edited by schloe; 10-13-2012 at 09:37 PM.
schloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
gordo325xiwagon

Thx Schloe. I also ordered parts for the CCV Oil Separator. Since the alternator is off and the PS pump pulled to the side, I'll swap out the CCV. The car has 96K, so I may as well get it done now before Chewbakka starts growling.

1993 300 ZX Twin Turbo (360hp @16psi) // 1997 Jag XK8 Luxor Cruiser // 2001 325xit Best Blend of Ride and Handling
Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
neutron325

My Ride: 03 325xi
My front diff was soaked with oil. I replace the housing gasket and its much cleaner now.

It really didn't take too long. I didn't take everything all the way off the be parts cleaned like some do. It was more of a pop it loose, swap it out and slap it back together. Took a couple or few hoists including removing the belts etc.
neutron325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
gordo325xiwagon

As a matter of followup to my original post; the leak was indeed sourced to the OFGH. I won't bother posting a pic because it looked exactly like all the others with oil settled into the waffle-like recesses of the engine block. The rubber seal was intact with no broken sections; however it was considerably flattened compared to the new seal. I guess as the seal ages, it begins to shrink or lose elasticity to the point where oil pressure forces a leak. In my case a rather small one, but still enough to collect on the splash shield below.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
gordo325xiwagon

Should have also replaced the Valve Cover Gasket

After replacing both the Oil Filter Housing Gasket and CCV, I thought the smoking would be fixed; but it turns out there is still a little smoke emanating from the passenger side bell housing area. Probably the valve cover gasket dripping back onto the exhaust pipe or cat. There are no visible signs, e.g., stains on the exhaust heat shielding; I can get a little oil on my finger tips when I feel along the under edge near the O2 sensor harness. Live and learn. If you have one leak... fix 'em all. Gordo

Old 10-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo325xiwagon View Post
After replacing both the Oil Filter Housing Gasket and CCV, I thought the smoking would be fixed; but it turns out there is still a little smoke emanating from the passenger side bell housing area. Probably the valve cover gasket dripping back onto the exhaust pipe or cat. There are no visible signs, e.g., stains on the exhaust heat shielding; I can get a little oil on my finger tips when I feel along the under edge near the O2 sensor harness. Live and learn. If you have one leak... fix 'em all. Gordo
What you describe was exactly what I had... And the smell... Once, maybe twice, per day... An acrid smell of smoke. Changing the VCG stopped it. An easy 1-2 hour job depending on how hard your VCG and accompanying gaskets are frozen on. Mine were like bakelite... The gasket clean-up took me an hour out of the 2 hour job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You don't outgrow stupid.
Big Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
momofthree

My Ride: 2005 330i
VCG beware...

Just did the VCG today on my '05 330i. Started by draining the oil since it was due for a change anyway and the wind kicked up and sprayed oil all over the driveway
After I cleaned that up, replaced the VCG and while torquing my last nut, the stud snapped off in the head
Going to pick up a new valve cover stud and nut, then coming home to REDO the original VCG job. Awesome... I've done a ton of jobs on this car and this is easily the most frustrating (when I thought it would be so simple...)
Hope your VCG job is more fun than mine!
momofthree is offline   Reply With Quote