E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
winstontj

My Ride: a car
e46 wagon/touring questions

First post here. Hoping I can get some good info.

I've always liked the e46 wagons with a manual transmission and RWD only. Wondering what years are good/bad, what gearboxes (manual or auto) are good/bad and things like awd vs. rwd.

Is there a general rule of thumb on what's desirable or not desirable (from a bmw driver point of view not as a soccer mom)?

Is there a model or engine or year that is known to have issues? (or known to be good)

If I found the right car for the right place I'd jump on a plane and go drive the thing home so I'm not concerned with location (USA only) but looking for a general introduction on these things as to what to look for or not to look for. Did they come in a 6-speed manual with a sport option? Are they rare or generally hard to find? Also, what should I expect to pay for one? I know what blue-book is and I also see e46's (sedans) generally selling from $3k up to about $10k so what should I expect to pay for a wagon?

Thx.
winstontj is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
You want
325i
RWD
Manual
Sport package(very rare)

Bad:
Xi
Auto
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
winstontj

So what does "very rare" mean and what should I expect to pay?

Can I easily swap over to a 5spd from an auto? (have done many swaps before just not e46)

If its possible what auto should I look for?

Is non-sport more common?

Last edited by winstontj; 10-14-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
shellback

My Ride: BMW
Have the 323 sport/5 speed. Its not so bad.
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Everything you asked can be found with a search.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
GotVANOS?

My Ride: 2003 325xi Touring
I love my 325xi 5 speed.

Shes not your average grocery getter. This 2.5L of fury doesnt mess around.

E21<E30>E36>E46>E90>F30

Quote:
5TFUUU, If one more person tells me to sell my car and buy an ///M Im going to light their family on fire and make them watch.
*****BUY MY 330XI AUTO TRANS AND PARTS. CHEAP!!!******
GotVANOS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
GotVANOS?

My Ride: 2003 325xi Touring
Dont get an auto XI though...

Shes not your average grocery getter. This 2.5L of fury doesnt mess around.

E21<E30>E36>E46>E90>F30

Quote:
5TFUUU, If one more person tells me to sell my car and buy an ///M Im going to light their family on fire and make them watch.
*****BUY MY 330XI AUTO TRANS AND PARTS. CHEAP!!!******

Last edited by GotVANOS?; 10-15-2012 at 07:04 PM.
GotVANOS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Johal E32

My Ride: E46 323iT/5, M5 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellback View Post
Have the 323 sport/5 speed. Its not so bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
You want
325i
RWD
Manual
Sport package(very rare)

Bad:
Xi
Auto
323i wagons are perfectly fine. They have more torque than the 325 btw..And the power difference isn't really THAT noticeable either. They both get around the same mpg.

I personally own a RWD 323i touring, with heated seats, xenons, and the sport package. I have to wish you luck on your search to find the right manual e46 wagon, they are pretty damn hard to find!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
I personally own a RWD 323i touring, with heated seats, xenons, and the sport package.
^ Ditto. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johal E32 View Post
manual e46 wagon, they are pretty damn hard to find!
x2. Took 9 months to find one in decent shape and under 100K miles (single owner under 60K). Funny thing, I was driving by a local indie's lot a month later. What did I see: THE VERY SAME CAR! Year, color, wheels, interior, 5 speed, even the same solid roof. (I live in a town of ~8500 people.)
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
donaldirush
Banned User

My Ride: bmw
Its not so bad.
donaldirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
winstontj

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldirush View Post
Its not so bad.
I hope you are right. I'm not even picky on color.

Would I be crazy to try an auto to manual conversion?

Last edited by winstontj; 10-16-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
Only reason to stay away from 323 is because of the weak subframe(I typed this hundreds times on this forum already).
I love 323 if that problem is fixed.
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstontj View Post
I hope you are right. I'm not even picky on color.

Would I be crazy to try an auto to manual conversion?
Auto to manual swaps are well documented here. There are several threads detailing the entire process. Long story short, if you've done a swap like this before, you can handle it on these cars. Come swap mine

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 10-16-2012 at 10:19 AM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
rbalazsi

My Ride: 323iT, 330Cic
Not to say it's impossible; but it seems the subframe issue isn't very common on a touring.

I reviewed this list early on when I got my 323iT and found only a single reported instance; the thread seems to have been more or less ongoing for 8 years. I know the touring is a bit more rare; but still would expect more to have shown up.

Subframe damage list thread

Last edited by rbalazsi; 10-16-2012 at 10:35 AM.
rbalazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
winstontj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Only reason to stay away from 323 is because of the weak subframe(I typed this hundreds times on this forum already).
I love 323 if that problem is fixed.
To be honest I'd love to find a car with a broken/damaged subframe so I could get it even cheaper. I have no issues with a fix + reinforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Auto to manual swaps are well documented here. There are several threads detailing the entire process. Long story short, if you've done a swap like this before, you can handle it on these cars. Come swap mine
Never even ridden in an e46 before but I've done several auto to manual swaps on e30's and mid-1990's Mercedes. It doesn't scare me, it's just a matter of time & cost that I was questioning. Also if there are any differences in the auto vs. manual chassis that would require modified stock parts, etc. (like on some of the MB swaps).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalazsi View Post
Not to say it's impossible; but it seems the subframe issue isn't very common on a touring.

I reviewed this list early on when I got my 323iT and found only a single reported instance; the thread seems to have been more or less ongoing for 8 years. I know the touring is a bit more rare; but still would expect more to have shown up.

Subframe damage list thread
This is good news. I don't really see to many soccer moms (or even dad's) beating on their wagons but then again what do I know...

Are there problems or issues with manual transmission iX cars (AWD)? Seems as though there are quite a bit more manual transmission AWD cars around than RWD only.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
First post here. Hoping I can get some good info.

I've always liked the e46 wagons with a manual transmission and RWD only. Wondering what years are good/bad, what gearboxes (manual or auto) are good/bad and things like awd vs. rwd.
There is no bad year for the E46/3 touring. The 323 does not have a "weak subframe". Earlier E46s (323 and 328) exhibited typical BMW chassis floor failure first because they are the oldest. 325s, 330s, and M3s are now showing up with cracked unibodies as well. Do NOT buy a car from a family with a young male driver because typical testosterone rage clutch dumps seem to be a major contributing factor to this failure.
The automatics are much less reliable. Exploding reverse drums and clogged valve bodies are some of the many problems.
The traction/stability/electronic nanny controls cannot be completely disabled in the AWD versions of the E46 which is frustrating at autocrosses and on track. In general, BMW AWD means more complexity and increased maintenance. I think the bad transfer cases were confined to the X5s.

Quote:
Is there a general rule of thumb on what's desirable or not desirable (from a bmw driver point of view not as a soccer mom)?
The driver wants RWD, a manual gearbox, and the sport package. A sunroof reduces helmet space so anyone over 6' should avoid them.

Quote:
Is there a model or engine or year that is known to have issues? (or known to be good)
There are no major reliability difference between the 323 and 325. I prefer the throttle response of the 323 over the mushy drive-by-wire throttle of the 325.

Quote:
If I found the right car for the right place I'd jump on a plane and go drive the thing home so I'm not concerned with location (USA only) but looking for a general introduction on these things as to what to look for or not to look for. Did they come in a 6-speed manual with a sport option? Are they rare or generally hard to find? Also, what should I expect to pay for one? I know what blue-book is and I also see e46's (sedans) generally selling from $3k up to about $10k so what should I expect to pay for a wagon
I don't think the 6 speed was ever an option for the 325it, even at the end of production. I suggest you look for a full size spare and cruise control which were not standard some years.

A RWD touring with a manual trans is about as rare as modern BMWs can get. Be prepared to fly anywhere to buy a car in a color combo that is not your first choice.

As always, you should never buy an E46 without a proper PPI from a reputable independent shop. A good PPI will include dropping the rear subframe enough to check for cracks at the subframe mounting points due to the previously mentioned young drivers acting out the Fast and Furiously Stupid. If the shop does not drop the subframe, only major chassis cracks and tears can be seen.

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

Last edited by teamdfl; 10-17-2012 at 08:33 AM.
teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
winstontj

So then the real question is should I look around on CL or other ads or should I stick to the Roundel and around here? (meaning should I buy from an enthusiast or should I roll the dice and gamble?)
Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #18
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
They are rare enough that you can't be choosey. Either jump on one halfway across the country or wait months to years for the right one.

In general, I think manual trans RWD E46 tourings were purchased by enthusiasts who like driving the cars so they probably took care of them. People who bought appliances in the shape of a wagon probably got automatics and/or AWDs.

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #19
sunsetcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl View Post
The driver wants RWD, a manual gearbox, and the sport package. A sunroof reduces helmet space so anyone over 6' should avoid them... I suggest you look for a full size spare and cruise control which were not standard some years.
[...]
A RWD touring with a manual trans is about as rare as modern BMWs can get. Be prepared to fly anywhere to buy a car in a color combo that is not your first choice.
If you can get a 3 pedal touring with sport, that's the real ticket. It is easier to pick up a FS tire/wheel combination to throw in the back than it is do a tranny swap or to replace suspension components. The trade-off is giving up the hidden under floor storage space. I've heard rumors of US-spec cars w/o cruise, but have never seen one.

You may have to wait months to find one that meets your requirements. I looked 9 months before finding what I wanted. And, like you, I was willing to fly out and drive 1200 miles home. For me, that covered just about everything east of the Rocky Mts.

GL
Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #20
sunsetcoast

Quote:
So then the real question is should I look around on CL or other ads or should I stick to the Roundel and around here? (meaning should I buy from an enthusiast or should I roll the dice and gamble?)
An enthusiast will probably ask for more money. And may have taken better car of the vehicle.

I bought mine from a dealer form an online ad and hit the jackpot. One owner car. The dealer that did the PPI was the one that sold and serviced it.