E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #21
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
nice I be watching this thread
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #22
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Um... You'd have to send me your ews . Are you sure? Only somebody who couldn't drive the vehicle would do that. I'd feel like my heart was taken from me if i couldn't drive it and it was in driving condition
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 10-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.
NumbaOneNewb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #23
NumbaOneNewb

Oh, and also, here's the list of vehicles that will have their ews destroyed:

3 series (E46)
5 series (E39)
7 series (***1045;38)
X3 (E83)
***1061;5 (***1045;53)
Z4 (E85)
Range Rover Vogue
Rover 75
Mini Cooper

No more locked doors! No more locked doors!
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 10-29-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #24
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Oh boy, this is opening a can of worms for potential thieves.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #25
NumbaOneNewb

Really? Its not like the info isn't already out there. If a thief really wanted to, he could easily have got it a long time ago and done it. They just don't post diy guides on these type of things. I'm just trying to shed light on the educational side of this. By educating our fellow e46 owners, this can also be information that they now know, but before didn't, and use it to protect yourself. Did you also know that a thief can easily smash the driver side door lock cyclinder and bypass your alarm if you didn't have the feature (only disarm alarm by remote) coded to your car? I easily found it by googling. Nothing really is much of a secret anymore nowadays. Still, that's not even half of it. Its easier to steal a newer bmw than it is our car. They actually smash it in a certain way where the car thinks its being unlocked and it disables the alarm.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 10-29-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #26
NumbaOneNewb

I guess this is one of them double edged sword type of thing right? lol. well, I did think about that, right before I reopened this thread. Before, my intent was purely for information purposes, as well as giving us e46 owners out there alternatives to a situation where we are left with none except for the all powerful bmw. This quest of mine was fueled out of revenge. Revenge for taking advantage of so many of us for so long as they sit in their fancy offices becoming rich off our misery.This won't by far impact their wallets by any measure, but man its not fair that after 13 years in existence we still pay an arm and a leg for maintenance and what have you. You know how I ended up here now today while typing this? Had that damn expansion tank not blown up on me, none of this would exist. So blame them and their stupid expansion tank. That was what started this quest. The $400 fuel pump only made me angrier. That's what got me really going.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 10-29-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #27
NumbaOneNewb

Actually, in between the expansion tank and fuel pump, what helped with the momentum was when I showed up at the stealerships and was requesting a gasket for I think it was either steering fluid resevoir. I swear to you that even I, who have no experience in molding or whatever the process is to create that thing could easily duplicate that particular gasket given the materials. I mean, this thing had to have costed 3 cents to make. What kind of tech or material was used that would've made this thing $30? Then the guy at the counter felt bad for me and felt it was ridiculous too so he lowered it to $20. Yay. I didn't get totally butt raped. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #28
warriorpluto

My Ride: 2000 323i
So now if my dme goes out I can replace with a used unit from eBay? What about buying a used dme and ews that's mismatched and copy my original dme and ews to the mismatched eBay units? Just to have as a back up? My car is 12 years old and would hate to be out of town and one of those go out.I won't have over a grand to shell out for a new one. If I can do this I'll keep my car but if not I'll trade for another car.I just don't want to deal with that electronic stuff since its not an easy swap

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
warriorpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #29
NumbaOneNewb

I don't think they go out that often, even at that age. However, if we speak theoretically, i have yet tinkered with the dme other than flashing euro tune, which I do have now, but the ews hopefully I'll be able to confirm soon that i can do what that list says.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #30
ian02

My Ride: 05 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Actually, in between the expansion tank and fuel pump, what helped with the momentum was when I showed up at the stealerships and was requesting a gasket for I think it was either steering fluid resevoir. I swear to you that even I, who have no experience in molding or whatever the process is to create that thing could easily duplicate that particular gasket given the materials. I mean, this thing had to have costed 3 cents to make. What kind of tech or material was used that would've made this thing $30? Then the guy at the counter felt bad for me and felt it was ridiculous too so he lowered it to $20. Yay. I didn't get totally butt raped. Thanks.
You mean this part number for the power steering reservoir cap gasket, 32 41 1 128 333? Most online retailers have this for $2-$4. I really think you should avoid the dealership when buying parts for an out of warranty car.

Sorry to hijack your thread with something off topic.
ian02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #31
NumbaOneNewb

Yeah i do try to avoid them at all costs. I'm usually forced to go to them only in those situations where the part in need dictates whether or not it can or cannot drive it. Oh, about the gasket, i dont think it was that then. How about maybe Vanos solenoid gasket
Old 10-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #32
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Good on you for doing the work.

I for one, am surprised that this thread is open. I remember similar threads on bf.c and e30tech that were locked.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #33
NumbaOneNewb

What do you mean by locked?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #34
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
Ok, so you keep going on about this mysterious tech that will destroy BMW's security or whatever. But have no idea how it works or what it does so clearly you didn't build it yourself. So care to share with us what you bought?

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #35
NumbaOneNewb

I could.... But where would the fun in that be? Plus the build up of suspense can only be attained during the initial phases of this particular experiment. Everyone that bumps into this thread when it's complete won't have to go through this.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #36
NumbaOneNewb

Oh nice rims Btw. I was thinking of getting that or the ones I have now. 2 of my favorite styles.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #37
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Carquest autoparts stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
Yeah i do try to avoid them at all costs. I'm usually forced to go to them only in those situations where the part in need dictates whether or not it can or cannot drive it. Oh, about the gasket, i dont think it was that then. How about maybe Vanos solenoid gasket
If you need a BMW part quickly, check your local CarQuest auto parts store. They have many many BMW parts and especially the orings. They have been the cheapest a lot of times. They actually supply the local dealer with parts too. I paid 44 cents for the coolant pipe orings.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #38
NumbaOneNewb

Oh ok i actually didn't know that. I'll check for a car quest near me in case i do need important part.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #39
NumbaOneNewb

Ok the seller has already notified me of the package being dropped in the mail. Good. Let's slowly getting things posted. Last where I left off was taking apart the used key. Perhaps I didn't have the right tools but taking apart these things wasn't easy. I also wasn't really being cautious either for I knew that the outer casing on this wasn't going to be needed. I just need to make sure my new casing doesn't get damaged like this one. Well here it is. You can obviously tell there didn't seem like much finesse was used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20121031_111728.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	476207   Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20121031_111756.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	476208   Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20121031_111819.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	476209   Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20121031_111844.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	476210  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20121031_111903.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	476211  
Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #40
NumbaOneNewb

So the day has finally arrived! I just received an email stating my tool has finally arrived. The day of reckoning is here! We willfind out by late tonight whether or not i am able to set an already programmed key from another bmw to be able to start my car. If so, i will confirm here and then do a diy so the thread will move from this to another. If i fail, i shall bury this thread never to attempt this again.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 11-10-2012 at 03:45 PM.