E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #41
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Sorry for the delay boys. Just got done installing my csl cf trunk and washed my car. I just ate dinner and about to open up the box sent to me hopefully with what i ordered. Almost feels like Christmas. Boy oh boy. Hold on to your steering wheel boys, the truth is about to be revealed. I eill unveil the hardware shortly. Then, don't bother me. I will post an update on my findings. If successful i will start a new thread as a diy. Lets hope im on to something or i just spent over $200 for nothing
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #42
NumbaOneNewb

I have done it! I was able to read the used key that I had bought and obtained its information! bwahahahahaha. In your stinking face bmw. Now, the real experiment begins. Will I be able to obtain the password that was used to sync itself with its previous EWS and dme in order for the car to start? Using that password, will I be able to truly unlock this so called "can only be coded once" key and write my own ews information into, a 2nd and possibly infinite amount of times? Will this open up all us e46 owners the option of buying used already program keys instead of virgin keys, slashing prices across the board? Will this allow us to say, "Hey bro, I lost my key and don't have $300. Can I borrow your transponder?" Stay tuned. Oh yeah, this thread will now be moved over to a new one. Look for my next one, which will be a DIY on this but will be in the general forum. Thank you all for following me as I destroyed the final obstacle. Once this is destroyed, DME is next.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #43
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
IDK if this was already covered, but why doesn't the actually metal part of the key that is cut out count here?
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #44
NumbaOneNewb

Whoops. Forgot to post proof. Heres a screen shot of the info captured by the key I bought used on ebay. anyways, for more info on this experiment, visit this new thread, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=955328
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	used key.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	477663  

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 11-10-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #45
NumbaOneNewb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
IDK if this was already covered, but why doesn't the actually metal part of the key that is cut out count here?
Huh? What do you mean? If you're talking about the key blade, practically any locksmith can make a copy of that. What they cant do is do what I hope I'll be able to do. Reprogram a used transponder.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #46
choxor

My Ride: JDM
You sure do like to reply to yourself.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #47
NumbaOneNewb

Lol. I'm just trying to find a reason to build post counts. Its only at 200 something. Too low and not credible enough. I'd post 1 word per post if I could.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #48
NumbaOneNewb

Ok. I must focus now. Gotta run to my car to grab EWS. prepare to be amazed or prepare to laugh at me.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #49
pppham

My Ride: 740il S500 330CiC
Hi NumbaOneNewb, One of my key suddenly can not start the car (01 330 vert) after I play around with PAsoft. Is it possible the software (could be my stupid A%%) deactivated the key in EWS? Weird thing is - the one can not start the car can and will start the car within 10s of my other key after starting the car. What are your thoughts? Thanks,
pppham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #50
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppham View Post
Hi NumbaOneNewb, One of my key suddenly can not start the car (01 330 vert) after I play around with PAsoft. Is it possible the software (could be my stupid A%%) deactivated the key in EWS? Weird thing is - the one can not start the car can and will start the car within 10s of my other key after starting the car. What are your thoughts? Thanks,
You are depending on this guy?
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #51
NumbaOneNewb

lol. Hey! I might be crazy but I do know a few things about the ews and keys with my experimentation and all. Plus I'm not entirely useless. LOL. At least I was willing to experiment with stuff people wouldn't touch with a drive shaft. The reason why you're able to start the car with the non starting key after starting and switching keys is BMW's ews system is programmed to do that. It actually allows any key even one without a transponder to start it as long as its done within 30 seconds of turning car off with working key (if the keyblade matches the ignition that is). You could even snap the keyblade off non working key and perform that trick with just the keyblade, no transponder. It has something to do with the ews not wanting to issue another set of rolling codes after having done so seconds ago. To answer your question to confirm you did indeed disable that key startup pa soft with car in ignition 2 using working key. Go into ews module then go into key data. You technically can't disable a key which you are currently using so don't worry. It'll be blacked out. Look to see if on the list of 10 available keys if there's a key set to disabled. If so you should be able to re enable .

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 03-23-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #52
pppham

My Ride: 740il S500 330CiC
NumbaOneNewb, did exactly what you recommended. All ten listed in the KEY DATA tab with exception the one will not start the car was grey out. Took couple scans until I got it to show up and able to select the button. It's all good now.

shadow 2, Are you BMW tech? Shop owner?
pppham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #53
NumbaOneNewb

ah don't worry about him. lol. I don't know why but I seem to be quite unpopular around here but I'm not here to win any contest from some mi chanh. I am here to repay my debt back to this forum. had I not found the DIYs and manned up and did my first DIY I'd have a car either running decent but totally stock, a decent car and flat broke, or a good looking car that runs great but still broke. lol. I'm just happy I saved thousands and I'm here to repay my debt.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #54
neutron325

My Ride: 03 325xi
Necro bump.

Curious to what happened here.

As for the key, its long been discovered that the chip is a standard Phillips RFID type chip thats used in all sorts of cars. The info is re-writable.