E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
mrbcc

My Ride: Silver 330i
Stumped. Power delivery shudder at~3kRPM+ in 3rd gear on up

help! My '04 330i shudders under acceleration at about 3K+ RPM. Usually it's when I'm on the FW and I push the accelerator to pass someone etc. The car accelerates, but it's a sorta sick feeling acceleration. It's not evident in 1st or 2nd, but I've felt it in 3rd on up to 6th. It's also not there when I accelerate slowly.

Any ideas? My mechanic said there was a hole in an air line. He replaced it and re-booted the car's "driving memory" but it's still there. This car is just not right without smooth power delivery...
mrbcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
SES light? auto or manual?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
S85FTW

My Ride: E60 M5 & F30 328XI
Send a message via AIM to S85FTW
In my e36 wayyy back when, I had similar problems. My car stated to show a lack of oomph so to speak when I was at wide open throttle. It eventually got worse as time went on. Turned out to be a dying catalytic convertor from crappy gas. Check into your cat and make sure its not getting clogged.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Bimmer App
Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
mrbcc

No light, 6spd manual. I only feed this car good gas. Think it would be as simple a that??
Old 06-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
S85FTW

My Ride: E60 M5 & F30 328XI
Send a message via AIM to S85FTW
Yeah, I used to use getty premium in my e36 and it killed the cat by 50k miles. It got so bad that before the cat got completely clogged I could only go 45mph up a hill on a highway. Since then ive used philips 66 premium gas (bmw dealer approved gas) and havent had problems since.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Bimmer App
Old 06-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Is it a ZHP? My old ZHP used to this until I flashed the DME to the latest software. Even if it isn't a ZHP, first thing I'd try is a DME update.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
mrbcc

Took the car out today with a fellow enthusiast at lunch and could only replicate the Oscillation in 6th gear at about 3k RPM (80mph). He felt no issues from the clutch or oscillation from the stick. He threw out ideas like limited slip clutch issues or torque converter?
Old 06-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbcc View Post
Took the car out today with a fellow enthusiast at lunch and could only replicate the Oscillation in 6th gear at about 3k RPM (80mph). He felt no issues from the clutch or oscillation from the stick. He threw out ideas like limited slip clutch issues or torque converter?
You have neither a limited slip nor torque converter. Just do a search for "2800 RPM" and you'll find plenty of people who had the same issue, and in almost all cases it's fixed with a DME software update. Have that done before attempting any other fixes. If the DME update doesn't apply to you, then check your O2 sensors. The DME update normally fixes an issue where the car doesn't handle aging O2 sensors properly. Theoretically, bad O2s would cause similar symptoms even when the DMe is okay.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=558110
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120971

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 06-21-2011 at 03:54 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
I too would suspect a DME update would fix this. However, if you happen to use an oiled aftermarket air filter such as K&N, you may also need to clean or replace your MAF sensor.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
silbergrau_zhp

My Ride: 2003 330 ZHP 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
You have neither a limited slip nor torque converter. Just do a search for "2800 RPM" and you'll find plenty of people who had the same issue, and in almost all cases it's fixed with a DME software update. Have that done before attempting any other fixes. If the DME update doesn't apply to you, then check your O2 sensors. The DME update normally fixes an issue where the car doesn't handle aging O2 sensors properly. Theoretically, bad O2s would cause similar symptoms even when the DMe is okay.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=558110
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120971
This first thread above (last page) chronicles the end of my similar situation with the necessary Bulletin.
silbergrau_zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
mrbcc

Thanks guys, would getting a shark inj. work as well to update software, or is it unrelated to a DME update?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #12
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Is it a ZHP? My old ZHP used to this until I flashed the DME to the latest software. Even if it isn't a ZHP, first thing I'd try is a DME update.
Most likely this is your answer.

If your car has Ms45.1 DME, which it most likely dioes as its a 6 speed , then you need to simply load the latest software update on your car from teh dealer or other capable mechanic.

It could also be the VANOS seals , but we need more details to determine what is it actually , because both can cause similar problems but have a few differences in them.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Thanks guys, would getting a shark inj. work as well to update software, or is it unrelated to a DME update?
No. Shark or any other software (AA, ESS) do not replace your existing software, all they do is modify a few files in the software.

Go to the dealer and ask for the latest software that is available for your car.

Which year was it built?

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
mrbcc

Just read the two linked forums (thanks for the links btw) and I'm convinced it's a DME update. I'll take it to the local Indy and get it flashed.

Blocked, it's a 2004.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
mrbcc

Also, may you all never sell your e46 or leave this forums site, id be lost without you.

Thanks again for the help. I'll post an update when I can get this baby flashed.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #16
mrbcc

Got it flashed today. The drive on the FW back to work didn't show signs of the issue. I think my baby is back to normal.

Thanks Blocked Out, Terra Phantm and everyone else who pointed me in the right direction.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
I was also gonna say that the DISA could be the culprit. There is a flash for that or maybe thats what was done for you. The problem is evident under hard acceleration and occurs around 3750 RPM. The cpu thinks the DISA valve opening is a misfire and retards the timing.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
hermunn123

My Ride: '04 330i ZHP
Quote:
Got it flashed today. The drive on the FW back to work didn't show signs of the issue. I think my baby is back to normal.

Thanks Blocked Out, Terra Phantm and everyone else who pointed me in the right direction.
How much were you charged for upgrading the DME?
hermunn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
cooterk

My Ride: 330ci convertible
just got mine done a few months back at an indy and it was $75. Same issue and it cured the 2800k hesitation
cooterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #20
mrbcc

Sorry hermunn123, not sure how I missed your question. I think it was about $80 (sacramento, CA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermunn123 View Post
How much were you charged for upgrading the DME?