E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
some RTAB DIY advice

hey guys,
Yesterday I spend my entire day doing the wonderful RTABs and I just want to let the average joe know, if you are about to do them, get the tool or just cut out the rubber and chisel the housing out.

Don't be a tool and begin experimenting, trying to make a tool yourself (unless you have everything you need), like me .. I wasted almost 6 hours trying to come up with an "efficient" way of getting the bushings out and pressing them in.

I ended up just cutting out the rubber, which looked just fine to me but having the Fanatics bug I still went with the process. The housing was falling apart though, and was practically rusted into the casing... it actually took me some time to chisel out little pieces that were stock on the steel before pressing in the new bushings.

If you have a press at home, I suggest on taking the full arm off and replacing the inner and outer bushing as well and this process will be fully done and with less headaches. I do have a press but didn't have a 36mm 12 point with me at the time and I didn't have the other bushings, Part stores were unable to get them for me for today so I decided to just do the rtabs only.

took me about 7 hours to do one side and 1 hour to do the other after realizing I was wasting my own lovely time...

Hopefully after an alignment this afternoon, my tires will be sitting on the road evenly. I had a huge problem with the inside wear even after the initial alignment couple of months ago.
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
The MIS RTAB tool works wonders. A severely rusted bushing can be taken out in less than 30 seconds. New one pressed in about 30 seconds as well. Always always ALWAYS get the proper tool for the RTAB job. I learned the hard way! The tool is machined precisely for the job and works great. If anyone in SoCal needs to rent/borrow it, let me know. Of course, you break it, you buy it!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
trippmann

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to trippmann
i did the job the hard way, with the pipe end caps and some other assorted things i found in my garage. it took two days and i ended up pressing the bushing in crooked half way causing me to have to remove it again.

GET THE RIGHT TOOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
trippmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son

^Yup. The first time around it took me 8 hours making my own tools. Bushing was in crooked and had to pull it out again and I just put in a brand new bushing (so I bought three brand new RTABs in all) wasted 8 hours + another $20 for a new bushing.

GET THE RIGHT TOOL!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
pawelgawel

Ya, the one side ended up going in slightly off 90 degrees.. more like 75 degrees, I left it though as that shouldn't make too much of a difference though. I did preload them at level with center hub nut +8mm... its was a pita putting the bolts back on the bracket with the extra tension when the hub was down. Now I understand how the preloading works.

Now I wished I have bought the damn TOOL or just rented it. Next time

I went with the meyle HD without limiters. I stayed away from polys as I learned its slightly harsher ride and possible squeaks. Riding on 18" is harsh enough for my taste. I would have used limiters but again.. $50-60 for plastic washers is insane in my opinion.

Last edited by pawelgawel; 10-16-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
BimmerWorld rents the tool for $99 down and $60 refund when returned. I used it. Pulled out the bushings in a minute with a combination wrench. I forgot to send it back in the 2 week timeframe though. If you're near me I'll give it to you cheap, or I can mail it for more.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
pawelgawel

^^ pm me your price with shipping to 48060. Im in canada but Im heading to US next week and I can have it shipped there...
I wouldn't mind having this just in case I get a customer with this job... or just rent it out here in canada.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
Ya, the one side ended up going in slightly off 90 degrees.. more like 75 degrees, I left it though as that shouldn't make too much of a difference though. I did preload them at level with center hub nut +8mm... its was a pita putting the bolts back on the bracket with the extra tension when the hub was down. Now I understand how the preloading works.

Now I wished I have bought the damn TOOL or just rented it. Next time

I went with the meyle HD without limiters. I stayed away from polys as I learned its slightly harsher ride and possible squeaks. Riding on 18" is harsh enough for my taste. I would have used limiters but again.. $50-60 for plastic washers is insane in my opinion.
That can make it so where your alignment is maxed out or just about to be maxed out. In other words, it can give you complications during alignment. Ask me how I know! Just put a new bushing in in place of the one thats crooked.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
pawelgawel

when i say its off 90 degrees I mean the sliver is off. The bushing is perfectly in streight and even... Not sure how that would effect the performance. Its not like the bushing turns, it just flexes from side to side, and the preloading makes sense, not to put constant pressure on the bushing when its on the wheels
Old 10-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
when i say its off 90 degrees I mean the sliver is off. The bushing is perfectly in streight and even... Not sure how that would effect the performance. Its not like the bushing turns, it just flexes from side to side, and the preloading makes sense, not to put constant pressure on the bushing when its on the wheels
your rear toe spec is very narrow. any deviation in bushing placement will affect how far the bushing bracket can slide within its elongated adjustment cutouts. did you get an alignment yet?

how much metal do you have on either side? is the bushing twisted at all?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
pawelgawel

its not twisted at all. both sides are equally sticking out and both plates are touching another nicely...
the originals were flush from the outside and sticking out on the inside. is that's the proper way?? the only thing is left bush has the joints about 10-15 degrees off center.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
Old 10-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
pawelgawel

what's the best alignment for the rear?

Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Mango
A full five stars, son

oh you mean the bushing is rotated within its socket? should be fine. as far as the bushing goes, since its compressed, the car should see it as a bushing no matter how its deflected. should be fine. best alignment for the rear on a stock setup is just stock settings. I think stock calls for 1 and 1.5 degrees negative camber and half a degree of toe in. maybe one full degree. forget.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
pawelgawel

lol you always manage to get me paranoid ... thanks for the info, im getting it done right now.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
pawelgawel

so the rear is Perfect!
i marked the rtab bracket and bolted it back in identical place with the bolts in their original place.

the front was off... which is strange considering i had that done about three months ago.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
so the rear is Perfect!
i marked the rtab bracket and bolted it back in identical place with the bolts in their original place.

the front was off... which is strange considering i had that done about three months ago.

Don't count on this for your alignment. although your trailing arm is in the same location based on your markings, the bushing is not. therefore your alignment is still is likely off. hope you get an alignment

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
pawelgawel

like mentioned above... im getting it done right now. The rear is Perfect and the front is off. still waiting on them to finish.

Last edited by pawelgawel; 10-16-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #18
pawelgawel

so the camber up front is slightly off and apparently they can't adjust it anymore. its at -.8, and specs say within -.7... any ideas? its stock sport CI. 100K miles original suspension.
Is it possible for the springs to be lower due to age and effecting the setting?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
so the camber up front is slightly off and apparently they can't adjust it anymore. its at -.8, and specs say within -.7... any ideas? its stock sport CI. 100K miles original suspension.
Is it possible for the springs to be lower due to age and effecting the setting?

This amount of camber will be okay, just try to get left and right as close to equal as possible. It is possible for springs to sag with age, but they don't move much.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
Mango
A full five stars, son

Non-adjustable camber will always have deviation on a 10-year old car. Your particular readings are fine. A good camber setting (for performance) is way out of spec. Spec isn't always "best," it's just what BMW set for your car. As long any difference is not that drastic. You can pop the pins in the front strut bearing to get more adjustment. Wish you would have known this earlier.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS