E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
drawz

My Ride: BMW 3-series 325
Jack stands on LOW car..

Hi!

I did a quick search, but didn't find any thread about this..

I have a verry low e46 sedan I need to get on jack stands for some work I'm planing to do. It's the front I'm working on, so I need to get that up!

The car is verry low. I have no chance to jack it up from under the car. I can manage to get the jack under the car, but no clarance to jack it up..

Last time I did this I jackad one of the rear side as mutch that I could put a jack stand under the front jack point, then the same on the other side.. But It was a bit scetchy..

Anyone have some other good ideas to do this with a low car?

Sorry for my bad english
drawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Begin by driving up on a 2x10 (wood board).

Also, read the recent thread on 'jacking up the car.' Search 'jacking' in thread title.

Make sure you've read a number of threads as some seem to go old school and not quite right. There is a front center jack point you might have, but you didn't tell us what year car you have and that makes a difference. I jack from front center. Or just from the side if I only need one side up.

Read a number of threads on something like this...don't trust that you'll hear all of what you need to hear from one thread.

I took some 2x10s and just cut the ends off at a steep angle...then added a 1x on top for 2.25" lift...enough for me to do an oil change and get jack under if I need to under the front.

Also, you know, you can lift up the side of the car if it's too low for jack to get underneath (I presume you have real jack and are not using just emergency jack). Lift up the side and have a buddy get jack under side jack point.

Read threads on this until you puke and then you'll know what to do! LOL Seriously!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
like dmax said, drive up on a couple blocks of wood. You will have plenty of clearance to get a jack underneath the car. A lot of us on this site have very low e46's, it takes some getting used to but its not that bad to get the car on jackstands.

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
I bought one of these scissor jacks...My OEM jack didnt fit underneath the front after having it lowered on H&R sport springs. Raises the car enough to change a tire and/or get a regular jack under the car. Didnt want to carry a low profile regular wheeled jack or wood ramps in my trunk. This folds up and takes up next to no space at all under the trunk bed and I have full use of trunk space. And I had to keep in mind that the car would be even lower if I caught a flat on the road. So this scissor jack is a perfect fit for me...Uses a 7/16 socket. Put it under the car and use an extension and a ratchet and it works lovely...

SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
^ where u order this?
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
crunkd

My Ride: 328i
smuuuuuv get back in here bro!! i need that jack!!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
SMUUUUUV
///Motorcepts ///Maintained

My Ride: '02 330 Vert-'06 4.4
Here is the official site....http://www.calcarcover.com/product.aspx?id=231

Here is their ebay listing..S/h is a lil cheaper on ebay..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compact-Floo...180760&vxp=mtr
SMUUUUUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
crunkd

My Ride: 328i
thx man appreciate it
Old 10-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
You can also use the OEM jack on the side, and slide a floor jack under the front subframe mounting point

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
3/4" ply wood with 2x4 screwed to it, that's a 2.25" lift , if that isn't enough stack two 2x4 after the one 2x4,all screwed down to ply, basically you have to build steps

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 10-20-2012 at 03:07 PM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
Old 10-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
drawz

My Ride: BMW 3-series 325
Thanks for all the help guys. I welded my own ramps and dove the car on, and then got my floor jack underneath the front of the car, jacked it up and put jack stands in place. I was replacing my control arm bushings. worked like a charm :-)
drawz is offline   Reply With Quote