E46 Fanatics Forum banner

The best way to lift your E46 using a jack and jackstands

69K views 53 replies 33 participants last post by  BDUB328I 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a tutorial on how to lift your E46 safely and securely. Never perform any work or lift your vehicle without reading your vehicle's owner's manual first. Always use quality jacks, jackstands, and other miscellaneous equipment and ensure it is in fully functioning order before proceeding.

Always follow the directions of the manufacturer of the equipment you are using.

Follow these directions at your own discretion according to your comfort and/or skill level.

I am not responsible for any damages to people or property.

Warning: Jacks should only be used to lift a vehicle, not support it for any extended amount of time. Never get under a vehicle supported by only a jack.

For extra security, place your wheels under rigid body sections of the vehicle.

Always work on level ground.

Okay so basically if your E46 has a front reinforcement plate as follows:

You can follow my method of supporting the vehicle safely on four jackstands and a high quality low-profile jack. I got mine from Harbor Freight.

The picture explains it all, but basically you are lifting the side-rear high enough to get a jackstand under the front-side jackpad you are lifting. Repeat on the other side. Then lift the vehicle by the rear subframe (never the aluminum support) and then place jackstands under the rear-side jack pads.

You will then have a jackstand under each jacking point. Lowering the car is reversed process.

The following photo is of an E46 M3 convertible. Same concept applies to this photo for your non-M cars.

E46 M3s and earlier non-Ms have a front-central jacking point on the front subframe reinforcement. That can be used in a similar manner as the rear subframe lift point.

Good luck and again, use common sense and safety!

To clarify: USE JACKPADS AND REAR SUBFRAME TO LIFT VEHICLE ONLY. DO NOT USE "FRAME RAILS," OR THE FRONT ALUMINUM REINFORCEMENT PLATE FOR NON-M VEHICLES. THE JACKPAD LIFT POINTS ARE REINFORCED PARTICULARLY FOR LIFTING. I RECOMMEND TO HAVE A FRIEND WATCH THE JACKSTAND AS YOU LOWER THE VEHICLE BACK DOWN TO ENSURE IT DOESN'T SLIDE OFF.

Attachments

See less See more
#36 · (Edited)
Did this today, yes there is no problem lifting in this manner. I think someone should post a video or pictures doing this, because many (including myself) felt very hesitant to lift the front using the rear side pads. You just need a jack that can lift high enough to do it. Unfortunately there isn't enough light in the parking garage for me to show it.

I recommend this jack:

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-ton-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68049-8047.html

It's an absolute pig of a jack, but it works phenomenally and is insanely solid. This will lift you up enough to get the front in the air.

I saw no risk of slippage or anything like that when lifting from either side. I was able to get the whole front end up on jack stands in probably less than a minute with this jack and this method. Just remember to move the wheel chocks for each side.

Getting it down was just as easy as getting it up. Having the right jack makes all the difference.

As someone initially skeptical of raising the rear sides that high, I also recommend this method, it works fine. If you need to lift the car up really high, then this method can only get you so far.

#37 ·
All right, here are some ghetto cell phone pictures of the suggested process.

I was too lazy to get my DSLR, and by too lazy I mean I forgot it and I wasn't going to go back upstairs and get it and then edit pictures. The jack in these pictures can be found at Harbor Freight for about 80 bucks.

Chock your wheels, and don't forget to move the chock to the other side!

Step 1:
Placing the jack under the passenger rear jack pad

Step 2:
Raising up enough to slide one jack stand under the front

Here you can see the car raised up enough to slide a jack stand under the front jack pad

Step 3:
Raising the opposite side from the rear side jack pad

You can see that the first jack stand is well-planted and has no risk of slipping, even though the other side is being raised from the rear jack pad. The car is high enough to slip a jack stand under the other front jack point.

Step 4:
Firmly on jack stands, ready to start taking stuff apart! This took all of about a minute and a half to do.

Yeesh, from this picture it looks like I scraped something :(

#41 ·
Great pictures Zell! How high are the front jacks? They don't look very high, but high enough to get the wheels off. Is it high enough to get under the front of the car?

#42 ·
BTW...does my car have the front reinforcement plate, or is it only on the M3 models?

#45 ·
What do the jack pads look like? It appears that mine may be missing.

Front jack pad missing?
[/URL][/IMG]

Rear jack pad missing?
[/URL][/IMG]

#46 ·
Is the metal section in front of the oil drain hole where I want to put my jack? Anyone have a video on how to do it?

[/URL][/IMG]

#48 ·
#51 ·
I ordered four OEM jack pads from ECS. They were around $65 will shipping. My local dealer wanted $20 each.

#52 ·
Thebmwpartstore has them for $11 a piece if anyone else is looking for them

#53 ·
#54 ·
If you order all 4 it's $55, they are $11 plus shipping each

most people are only missing one or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.