E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
justanotherone

My Ride: 02 e46 m3
Uneven tire thread question

I was, or should I say am, having reoccurring uneven tired tread problem with my rear tires. After changing the tires a few times and the problem still occurring relatively quickly, I figured something was wrong. After doing some research and asking around, it seemed that a bad alignment was the most probable cause.
As a result I got an alignment, when getting the alignment, mechanic told me the right rear wheel could not be completely aligned because the lower control arm was bent. So I buy two lower control arms because someone told me (or I read somewhere) to replace suspension parts in pairs. I go back to mechanic he says there's no reason to replace left rear lower control arm. He says, besides it's not as accessible as the right rear one and will take more time, hence more labor costs. He insisted there was no need so I'm like ok then since the right rear control arm is installed just do the alignment. Car has been running fine since.
Except, this morning I wake up and my left rear tire is worn on in the inside .
I'll go back to that mechanic and show them the tire after school and see what they say. If they don't offer to replace the lower control arm and re-do an alignment for free, I'm prob never going back to them again. This is what I plan on doing and the questions I have:
1) What is most likely causing this, should a left rear lower control arm solve this problem?
2) I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I read somewhere that the DSC sort of tells your car/re-direct your tires so it doesn't swerve and stuff, well mine will will come on while driving. Sometimes the light will start flashing and I'll hear like a clicking noise of something trying to attach, then the light will go on solid after a bit and the noise stops and car still drives fine. Other times the DSC and tire pressure light will come on simultaneously without the noise. And very rarely the car will jerk and the light will come on. Could the dec trying to re-direct force the tires cause that?

Last edited by justanotherone; 10-17-2012 at 02:07 PM.
justanotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Can't help on the cause, but a few thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherone View Post
replace suspension parts in pairs.
This IS the preferred way to go. Same with headlights. And wiper blades

Quote:
I go back to mechanic he says there's no reason to replace left rear lower control arm. He says, besides it's not as accessible as the right rear one and will take more time, hence more labor costs. He insisted there was no need so I'm like ok then since the right rear control arm is installed just do the alignment.
Was probably trying to save you a buck. My indie is in a town that was called one of the 25 worst cities (economically) in America ten years ago. While it is getting better, as you may imagine, most of his clients are trying to do things inexpensively. He started out that way with me, too, but learned that I'd rather pay him now than later. Good guy...not too many of these guys out there any more. But, see above.

Quote:
this morning I wake up and my left rear tire is worn on in the inside
How often do you check your pressure? Did the change occur just since the last time you checked? How long it has been since the original alignment? What was the condition of the tire before the alignment? Once uneven tread wear starts, it never goes away. Well, you could shave the tires.

Did you check the specs on your last alignment? When I have an alignment done, I always ask for a printout of the before/after, then compare with the last specs. Once, printed at the top of the sheet was 528: the car was a 323 It went right back on the lift.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Inside rear tire wear is common for our cars due to negative camber. It will noticeably wear faster. When checking tread depth, you should get as close to the inside as you can.

You will also find your passenger-side tire wears slightly faster than your driver's side tire. This is due to a lack of an LSD. When your tire slips from acceleration, it tends to slip the right-side tire. It should not be excessive wear, but it is a little noticeable depending upon the tire brand you have.

Replacing suspension parts will help with this, but the most important thing you can do is keep your car aligned and wheels balanced.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
justanotherone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
How often do you check your pressure? Did the change occur just since the last time you checked? How long it has been since the original alignment? What was the condition of the tire before the alignment? Once uneven tread wear starts, it never goes away. Well, you could shave the tires.

Did you check the specs on your last alignment? When I have an alignment done, I always ask for a printout of the before/after, then compare with the last specs. Once, printed at the top of the sheet was 528: the car was a 323 It went right back on the lift.
I haven't checked my tire pressures since the alignment. When I get home I'll measure the tire pressure psi and see if if it's relatively lower than manufacture specifications. If it is, then my . I don't exactly recall the date, although I can prob find the receipt somewhere in my room. Hasn't been long, I'd say two months max? Really not sure, I'll check. Before the alignment tire was in perfect condition. I'll look up what shaving tires is.

The print-out on my last alignment was in the car after the alignment. Every tire was green (in the range?) except a bit of the left front tire was red. I know I have that in my room and I do believe it said e46 bmw m3 or something like that. I'll double check. And damn they tried to jipp you, nice catch .

I'll stop by their shop later and see what they have to say. Ordered new tire, should be here tomorrow. Unless they offer to do everything at extremely reduced fee, I'll find a new indy.

Is a replacement lower control arm a hard diy? I still have it from before, just don't know if I'm capable of replacing it.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
sunsetcoast

Quote:
I haven't checked my tire pressures since the alignment.... Hasn't been long, I'd say two months max?
Two months is a very long time to go without checking pressure. Not that low/high pressure will cause wear on only one side of the tire, but you might have noticed the unusual wear sooner.

I check at least every two weeks, but monthly should be a minimum if you don't have a TPMS.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
BB BMW

My Ride: 04 330ci ZHP
I thought it was tire "TREAD".

If you have a square set up, just rotate them every 6,000 miles or sooner.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
BB BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
justanotherone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
Two months is a very long time to go without checking pressure. Not that low/high pressure will cause wear on only one side of the tire, but you might have noticed the unusual wear sooner.

I check at least every two weeks, but monthly should be a minimum if you don't have a TPMS.
Alright, from now on will do! thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post

Whoops lol, my mistake. They're different sizes :/
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB BMW View Post

BMW says to NOT rotate the tires, and in a staggered setup it is not possible to rotate the tires.

Wear on the inside shoulder of the tire is almost always the result of a heavy foot. If the car has strong negative camber, then this will put more weight, and wear, on the inside shoulder of the tires. But a car with perfect camber will wear the inside shoulder if the gas pedal is operated enthusiastically on frequent occasions. Just because you can go from 0 to 60 in 4 seconds does not mean you should.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
sunsetcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
BMW says to NOT rotate the tires
^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Wear on the inside shoulder of the tire is almost always the result of a heavy foot. If the car has strong negative camber, then this will put more weight, and wear, on the inside shoulder of the tires.
Driving style DOES affect tire wear significantly. WRT negative camber, my MR2 had lots of negative camber. It helped accentuate the low polar moment of a mid-engined car. Rear tires would wear (inside shoulders) at the rate of about 3 vs. a set of unloaded fronts
Old 10-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
justanotherone

So update: Got home and found the receipt, the right rear trailing arm and alignment was done on the 14th of September. Just a month ago. Also found the reading/specs of the alignment, this was done the day after, the 15th. The top of the paper does read "BMW 2001-06 E46 M3 Cabrio 19" Wheel" the line below that says "Current Measurements." Everything is green and within limits except of a front caster on the left side that's partly to the right of where it needs to be. (That's red) And the rear middle toe is grey. Everything else cambers, toes, total toe, and thrust angle are green.
I had time to go back to the shop and the man (I think he's the head of the shop and he's the one that took care of me before so he remembered me). I explained to him the situation and he said there was no chance that the left rear trailing arm was the cause of the abnormal tire wear because that arm was perfect. It wasn't bent and everything with that arm was a ok and that is why he didn't install for me the first time around. He says he'd love to make the money, but if there's no need to replace it then why do it. The mechanic who did the alignment was also there and said there's no way the alignment was the issue because your alignment is either good or it's bad and it was good.
This is what they're telling me, bring the tire and they'll mount and balance it for 20-ish dollars. Then do a free alignment. And if I want, only if I want to, even though he assures me it won't make a difference, he'll change the other trailing arm for $97. Same price as the previous one, although this one (one on the left) is supposedly harder to get to. So kind of a discount.

I've read you guys' comments and appreciate all the help and input into solving this problem. I admit at times I can get maybe a little reckless and think I'm Vin Diesel in a Fast & Furious movie. I do want to say this, if this is the case wouldn't it happen over time? Ever since this uneven tire wear became an issue, every now and then I kind of check my rear tires for that white metal-ish looking thing that starts to display. Like if I'm walking to my car from the store or something or from getting the mail, I'll randomly just glance down while walking. Not a full on get to my knees inspection every other day or every week, but just a glance. And I do remember, that I checked it and seemed fine (while I was changing my fuel filter which was prob like 1-2week prior) they looked fine. And I might have glanced after that. I saw the wear this morning, and last night I did do some unnecessary taking off. Well, I don't think it was unnecessary, this guy in his truck kind of called me out. I prob hit 90ish that night in a couple secs. Still, I mean it's been one month!! I've never been to a track, I don't drive my car like a mad men everyday, I actually enjoy cruising. I've never been to a track, where you're suppose to speed and all, do those people get new tires every 1-2 weeks?

I did raise my car with some jacks and ramps to change my fuel filter. While I was raising I heard some noise (spring stretching or whatever it could have been), is it possible that not raising the car evenly mess up an alignment?

Edit: He also said that it could have been a defective tire cause he couldn't think of any reason why the tire would wear since the alignment was good.

Update Edit: My right rear tire which I had them mount right before the alignment is also wearing out on the inside. It's not as bad as the one on the left (the white metal-ish isn't showing yet), but it's basically flat on the left side and the right end of that tire has tread. Will take it to them tomorrow morning and see what they say.

Last edited by justanotherone; 10-18-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
justanotherone

I found this interesting thread, http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=995556 . Interesting quote from there, "The BMW factory specs care nothing for performance or tire wear, only for safety and a low # of lawsuits. YES I AM SAYING THAT THE BMW FACTORY SPECS WILL NOT ONLY GIVE YOU POOR HANDLING AND PERFORMANCE, IT MAY ALSO WEAR OUT YOUR TIRES PREMATURELY."
Old 10-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
qlove83
Banned User

I have check at least every two weeks, but monthly should be a minimum if you don't have a TPMS.
qlove83 is offline   Reply With Quote