E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
luckysnafu

My Ride: 03 ZHP|90 332(s52)
HID Fog Kit Instrument Cluster Issues

I installed a DDM HID kit in the fog lights on my car and whenever I turn the fog lights on now my instrument cluster resets itself. I turn on the fog lights and for 3-4 seconds the gauges all go to zero, the mileage display shows the mileage to service, and the cluster buzzes. The entire cluster then goes back to normal except for the clock display, it gets stuck and the time does not change.

Anybody have any issues like this after installing an HID kit?
luckysnafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
55W hid? I never had any issues with my 35W HID kit in the fogs. Check your connections as well
Old 10-23-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
use a relay wiring harness. the LCM isn't made to take the initial spike from the HID kits (for the foglights). i've had similar symptoms.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
luckysnafu

My Ride: 03 ZHP|90 332(s52)
It's a 35W kit. Where do I get a relay wiring harness?
luckysnafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
sillieidiot

you can get one right here:
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1211

Old 01-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
I've been having the same problem with my p46s, but previously found no answers. I recently started looking into the issue again; for details, see here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...669&highlight=

I can understand this being a problem for fogs, but why is this happening with my normal low beams? I only have the 35W ballasts, and I believe they're Prolumen. Is it a problem with the ballast(s), or just the age of my car? I feel like I'm destroying my electrical system every time i turn on my lights and this happens.

BTW, I'm not looking to wire a relay if I don't have to. From what I understand, I shouldn't have to with my current setup.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
sillieidiot

it could be the age of my car. but i've put HID kits in plenty of older cars no problem. i think it could be your ballast more than anything.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
jorg323

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
it could be the age of my car. but i've put HID kits in plenty of older cars no problem. i think it could be your ballast more than anything.
Thanks for the input. Yea, it seems like it may just be something with the ballasts. I contacted another member with the same car who had the same problems, and they said their problems went away after switching to a DDM setup and getting an LCM reflash. So...

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
Old 01-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
sillieidiot

Did you ever get that reflash done when i asked about it in the other thread?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
jorg323

Quote:
Did you ever get that reflash done when i asked about it in the other thread?
No, no reflash... Just total plug-n-play. Mostly for money-related reasons at the time.

I figured it shouldn't need to be done for a '99 model, and didn't think that the problem was due to that. Could it be? Will a reflashed module really be better at regulating voltage to the lights or whatever?

Old 01-30-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
sillieidiot

it would help as the lcm would then expect a slight increase during startup. since you are not flashed, just make some caps. it should help with your problem given the characteristics of caps.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
jorg323

Quote:
it would help as the lcm would then expect a slight increase during startup. since you are not flashed, just make some caps. it should help with your problem given the characteristics of caps.
I'm not very experienced with wiring electrical components; would it be hard to do? Also, I seem to remember reading that caps were only a temporary "band aid" fix (may have been one of your posts, actually ).

Old 10-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #13
Illogical_Mind

My Ride: 2000 323Ci Conv.
lol I put HIDs in my fogs about 4 days ago. They have been working perfectly. Today I left for work, turned on my parking and fogs and my dash freaked out. I stopped and turned the car off. Started the car, Turned on headlights first then fogs and it didn't act up.

When I hit the lights right away I'm good, but if I start driving first it doesn't seem to like it. oh well.

HIDnation.com sells a "canceler" which I would assume is a cap and resistor setup that is plug and play. They are $20 for a pair, but worth it if you don't want to mess with wiring and such. They worked great for my headlights.

Last edited by Illogical_Mind; 10-18-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Illogical_Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #14
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorg323 View Post
I'm not very experienced with wiring electrical components; would it be hard to do? Also, I seem to remember reading that caps were only a temporary "band aid" fix (may have been one of your posts, actually ).
I remember discussing the reflashing vs caps in another thread with you. Even though the shop w/ the autologic wasn't able to do it, I'm fairly confident I can recode your LCM so that they work w/ HIDs. (There *may* be an issue beyond the LCM though, so I won't guarantee anything) I think I'll be in DC next weekend if you wanted to meet up
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
I've been only turning on my fogs when my RPMS are above 2K mostly. Preferrably 2.5K to be safe. I've not had problems for over 2 years with my 35 watt HIDs.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
sillieidiot

^ it's cause you're lazy to put in the harness. do the harness and you won't have these issues, or wait lol

Old 10-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
rovert

My Ride: Zaps Horse Poo!!
Send a message via ICQ to rovert Send a message via AIM to rovert Send a message via MSN to rovert Send a message via Yahoo to rovert
Would you like to step outside of public and go private?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
sillieidiot

lol later, i'm in class

Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #19
jose3081

My Ride: 99 323i
I have the same problem but with regular low beam hid install.
jose3081 is offline   Reply With Quote