E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
FRANCO
Masterdebator

My Ride: Your Mom
Am I getting hosed by the dealership? Expansion Tank and Thermostat install

Hi Guys,

The Dealership is charging me $800 to replace the Expansion Tank, and Thermostat; they also said something about the Radiator Cap (not sure what that is)

Am I getting hosed? The parts on ECS tuning are like $200.

Mods:p46 6000K Headlights,M3 Steering Wheel,LED Taillights,M Footrest,Smoked Turn Signals,Smoked Sidemarkers,MTech II kit,CS Splitters,Gray Instrument Panel, Red Marker DIY,Ion Yellow Foglights/High Beams,Akebono Brake Pads, Smart Chrome/Leather Gear Selector,18" Staggered CSLs

Future Mods:,H&R Sport Springs,Tint,ECIS Intake,M Lip Spoiler,OEM Aluminum Pedal Set,OEM M3 Mirrors
FRANCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Yes you are. I'm surprised that you have over 1000 post and still ask questions like this..anyway, you should do a complete cooling overhaul if you haven't done so.. Look for e46mangos thread about this..
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
FRANCO
Masterdebator

Yea, I used to frequent this a lot back in the early 2000s...

But since moving to an apartment, I don't have tools or the garage to do work in so I decided to take it to the dealer. I never really knew what the dealer charged because every time I needed to replace something I always took care of it myself and never took my car to the dealer after my free maintenance was over.

Mods:p46 6000K Headlights,M3 Steering Wheel,LED Taillights,M Footrest,Smoked Turn Signals,Smoked Sidemarkers,MTech II kit,CS Splitters,Gray Instrument Panel, Red Marker DIY,Ion Yellow Foglights/High Beams,Akebono Brake Pads, Smart Chrome/Leather Gear Selector,18" Staggered CSLs

Future Mods:,H&R Sport Springs,Tint,ECIS Intake,M Lip Spoiler,OEM Aluminum Pedal Set,OEM M3 Mirrors
Old 10-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
Bro if you search well you can get a behr or somewhat like that oem brand expansion tank for 35.99 with free shipping
Old 10-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Wh33lhop

My Ride: douchemobile
The answer to your question is always yes.
Wh33lhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
You don't have to have a garage for this job. Tools needed are a wrench, 10 and 13 mm sockets, a small extension, 1 big a$$ flathead screwdriver to drain the ET. Save yourself some dough. Radiator cap = ET cap. Those parts sound like they could be had for around $100...

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Wh33lhop

My Ride: douchemobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
You don't have to have a garage for this job. Tools needed are a wrench, 10 and 13 mm sockets, a small extension, 1 big a$$ flathead screwdriver to drain the ET. Save yourself some dough. Radiator cap = ET cap. Those parts sound like they could be had for around $100...
I just picked up a new ET for under $100. That includes new cap, release clamp, and drain plug. IIRC an OEM thermostat is about $20. Coolant is $20 per gallon, and distilled water 99 cents. Drain pan $20 tops.

You are going to wait at the dealer for a lot longer than it would take you to DIY, and 650 bucks is a lot of meals/gas/rent.
Wh33lhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
GSherbs

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh33lhop View Post
the answer to your question is always yes.
+1
GSherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelio View Post
Yes you are. I'm surprised that you have over 1000 post and still ask questions like this..anyway, you should do a complete cooling overhaul if you haven't done so.. Look for e46mangos thread about this..
. Jeez. Don't you start with this replace all crap.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
RayPooley

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANCO View Post
Hi Guys,

The Dealership is charging me $800 to replace the Expansion Tank, and Thermostat; they also said something about the Radiator Cap (not sure what that is)

Am I getting hosed? The parts on ECS tuning are like $200.
You figure it out. Four hours effort tops. That's $150 an hour. I think they are confusing it with cosmetic surgery.
RayPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
FRANCO
Masterdebator

I managed to get the inspection fee taken off and I'm just going to take it back home and order the parts myself...I may just bike to work as I wait for the parts

Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Wow that is steep!
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
bmw will charge about $160 for stat and $140 for ET with cap... so $320+- for parts and 450 for labour... ya that's about right... need to let the car cool down and they will include that in the process... $120/hour

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Elvin123

My Ride: 328i
holy fvck, are they doing a motor swap too? sheeit
Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
420$ for a cap change HMMM
are they high or just high
Old 10-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
well that's dealer labor and dealer parts list. seems a little high even for a BMW dealer estimate. i'm sure they wrote a quote and listed the pricing. if you want us to break it down list what they wrote on estimate.

as you have found out you can do these yourself or at the least just take to a bmw indepedant shop and work with them on the price. they should know it's easy and do it relatively cheap. you will save buying your own parts online (be sure it's quality) and doing it yourself Or inexpensive labor if you can't DIY.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #17
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Where are you located in SoCal? I almost guarantee someone local would be willing to help you out.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
I need to start doing this on the side....charge people half of what the dealer quotes them and still make a killing.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by haurelio View Post
Yes you are. I'm surprised that you have over 1000 post and still ask questions like this..anyway, you should do a complete cooling overhaul if you haven't done so..
don't reply with that cop out of an answer to do it all. put down the Kool Aid and understand there is greater knowledge here on the forum to help than to pass the buck. or shall we say waste the buck. there are dozens of members on this forum who have knowledge and can help provide real answers to questions. doug (DMAX) for example is one of the few who always takes the extra time to reply to each individual and provide that individual with exact info as he knows it. there are plenty others who care as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPooley View Post
. Jeez. Don't you start with this replace all crap.
exactly. the old BS of 'do it all' is over. that's the kind of answer someone gives when they don't know exactly what they are talking about or too lazy. don't get me wrong there will be times in some individual cases where doing most of the system will be prudent. but majority of the cases will never NEED this.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Tank and thermostat cost around $110.

If you go to the dealership, I mean stealership, get ready to be ripped off...

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote