E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Greg422

My Ride: 2001 330i
bluetooth no audio

2001 E46 330i sedan 07/00 build date. CD53 Blaupunkt Business CD, non DSP, no CD changer, non NAV. All stock.

Installed Bimmernav TCU kit with ELK-800 pre-wired into the harness. Everything works fine except there is no audio through the speakers. Can receive and initiate calls. Other callers hear me fine. Radio mutes for call, etc. Steering wheel controls work. But I cannot hear the phone ring or the sound from the phone call through the speakers. This car also has the speaker under the steering wheel although audio is not coming out of that speaker either.

Telephone On circuit seems to be the issue.

Telephone On wiring does not seem to be getting up to head unit. CD53 harness and 17 pin connector missing pin #10. See photo. Checked the radio harness from the head unit down to the ventilation controls to see if wire and pin was tied back, but there are no extra wires tied back. Although some older posts suggest that pin 10 is not needed and I should be hearing the call through the speaker under the steering wheel.

I have tried adjusting the level on ELK-800. I have tried another SES jumper plug. I have tried another TCU. I tried a jumper across pins 11 and 14 on the 18 pin ELO connector under the cup holders.

I have searched the archive and read other audio problem posts for E46, E38 and E39, and I still can't figure this one out. I would really appreciate any help. I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

Thanks,

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	474642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old20Gen201720Pin20Radio20pinout.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	474643  
Greg422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Erns

My Ride: 2005 325i
I have the same problem (phone pairs fine, I can receive or initiate calls, and they can hear me -- just no sound from speakers). But mine is a stock 2005 325i unit, with an iPod adaptor that was added at some point. (see http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=976813).

From your post, I'm wondering if maybe I don't have a loose wire in the harness going into the back of my head unit. (The TEL ON connection). When I pulled my radio out, I actually couldn't get the harness off. While it looks like you just pull up on the slider part, mine still doesn't come off when I do so. I'm not sure, but it looks like there are two little detents or pins or whatever on the slider part that are broken off and that prevent my harness from releasing. Based on your post, I will have to pull the radio again and see if that's my problem (and if I can figure out how to get the harness to release without breaking it).

Did you ever figure out whether this is your problem, or something else?
Erns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Greg422

My Ride: 2001 330i
It turns out that on my 2001 E46 the phone audio is not carried up to the head unit, but instead is sent to a speaker under the steering wheel. That signal needs amplification in my car. My problem was that the amp was loading the switched 12V power for some reason I still can't figure out. It seemed to be wired correctly. I found a different switched 12V power to use and it works fine.

That connector on the back of the stereo is a real beast. It's tough to slide up, tough to connect/disconnect and easy to break.

There's a good stereo removal DIY with pictures at madrussian.net
http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_ipod.shtml

Good luck.
Greg422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
Erns

My Ride: 2005 325i
I got mine figured out today. See post # 4 here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...813&highlight=

In short, whoever installed the iPod adapter only did the necessary re-wiring for the 17 pin connector - they did not do the re-wiring for the 10 pin connector (removing pins 3 & 8 from the original 10 pin connector and putting them into the iPod 10 pin connector). I did this, and all seems well.
Erns is offline   Reply With Quote