E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #161
Dippinwandy

My Ride: 325i
Here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1360811501.076003.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	490618  
Dippinwandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #162
Weste46

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Interesting. I have no idea on how to test the wiring to the ICV.. I would say replace the harness in full as PM at the least, or you could simply follow the wiring from the ICV back and see if there are any bad sections.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Koni STR.T, poly RTABs, headers, SSK.
Three Pedals, ZSP.
Weste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 AM   #163
artk

My Ride: E46 320Ci
Hello mens! I have some problem with my car bmw e46 320ci in Russia. Then I start moving, my engine stal on second. may be too much fuel or etc.
But in Russia we use DIS or INPA for diagnos our cars. Do you have this? INPA get you full description for any error and can monitor some parameters like this
If you buy cable and have laptop with internet, I can connect to you and install inpa and check your car
artk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #164
Chill Deluxe

My Ride: FI 2002 330ci
I am having the same problem on a 2002 330ci, supercharged to 7psi.
I have spent MONTHS looking for a vacuum leaks. Replaced the DISA, MAF, tested the ICV and I am getting nowhere... starting to drive me crazy.

I am pulling -10 vacuum at idle and boost is hitting spec at top RPM so if I have a vacuum/boost leak it must be small.

If I never leave the car in gear on the freeway or high speed (over 60 miles an hour) while diving I can keep the CEL off for DAYS.
But the second I leave it in gear while moving fast and coasting... it goes into limp home mode and throws p1500 p0420 p1093.

I suspect maybe a leak in the CCV now... or maybe the intake temperature sensor is broken. Thoughts anyone?
Chill Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #165
artk

this errors about problem with mixture ratio and with icv. may be you have air leak in intake seal between manifold and engine head, because error in only one 02 sensor.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #166
Chill Deluxe

Artk! Thank you so much for your input. The thought never even occurred to me that this is only happening on one bank. I don't see many people with leaks between intake manifold and engine head but that does not mean it's not leaking! I am going to take the intake manifold off tonight and check it out. I will post what I find asap. I really appreciate your thoughts on this and I am now inspired to keep wrenching on it!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #167
artk

It's my pleasure.
You also can to check O-Rings on injectors. It can give small air leackage.
Anyway if you have problem in only one bank, you can to check all details relating to the one collector.
Also if it cant help you, chek sparks. try to change first three sparks with second three sparks
Old 06-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #168
Chill Deluxe

Okay! I was not able to get to the manifold until this weekend. I took it all apart, seal looked okay but I replaced it anyways.
I checked the manifold for cracks and found none.
I checked the O-rings around the injectors also and nothing. Put it all back together and Vac is still only -10.
I even sprayed the whole damn thing down with engine start spray to check for a fluctuation of idle and nothing.
I can hear that damn hissing of the leak too that's what's killing me now. It's like right over the back of the manifold... A sound like it's coming from the DISA but it's NOT. (DISA is bran new)
Starting to think maybe it's the CCV or one of the hoses but I sprayed a bunch of the engine starting all over that area and nothing.
I am getting the gray smoke coming out of the exhaust now too on the first start of the day.
I guess I just need to go pay someone to smoke test it.. Just hate taking my car anywhere... Wish I could just find the damn Vac leak.
Does anyone know what an E46 should pull at idle? Should be like -17 -20 I would think..
Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #169
artk

check and replace O-rings on dipstick guide and on dipstick. I have some problem two month ago. air sound like DISA crack, but problem be in not full inserted dipstick guide and old O-ring.
smoke machine is a good idea
Old 07-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #170
Chill Deluxe

Okay guys quick update! I have made a LOT of progress here.
I did exactly what Artk said and replaced dipstick O rings on the stick and guide. Then I checked seal on plugs, and replaced injector o-rings switching bank 1 injectors with bank 2. Then I pulled my CCV out to inspect it for cracks causing my vacuum leak and I found that all the plastic CCV pipes were old and brittle but I don't think any of them were leaking. I did however find that there was a **** tone of oil pulled from the CCV into the intercooler, piping, ect. I took the whole intake system and SC apart and cleaned it inside and out and inspected everything for cracks. I found that both of the fabric hoses used from the SC to MAF had small cracks. I replaced them with Silicone hoses per: http://vsetrack.com/simple_upgrades_for_asa.htm . I also deleted my CCV and wired up a coalescing air/oil separator per VSEtrack recommendation (I owe these guys a beer for sure). Then put everything back together did a test drive and BAM! First p1093 and p0420... then p1500 and limp home mode.

Frustrated, I went back to the drawing board. I did more research and I found that people with Nissans were having issues with p1500 when the air filter is hit by oncoming air causing the MAF to get wrong readings (this is only for people with the MAF really close to the air filter). So I relocated my air filter and p1500 and limp home mode is GONE! Been 3 days now and no more limp home mode or p1500 thank goodness I can sleep at night again.

Now I am still trouble shooting p1093 and p0420. Last night I built the smoke machine using jbeurotech's diagram.

Soon as I have time I plan on doing a smoke test myself to hopefully find the cause of p1093, p0420, and only -10 vacuum. Looking deeper into p1093 and p0420 it looks to me like p1093 is pre cat bank 2... while p0420 is post cat bank 1. Is this correct? If so this makes no sense to me (all o2 sensors are new).
Can I have one failing cat and a vacuum leaking in only one bank?
Does anyone know what vacuum should be at idle?

Last edited by Chill Deluxe; 07-31-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #171
Chill Deluxe

Update -
Smoke machine worked perfectly and showed no leaks at all.
Turns out my supercharger was going bad and leaking oil from the output side into the cars intake system causes my rich codes.
Supercharger has been rebuilt and problem is solved.