E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Haha you linked a wikipedia article? Wow that's some great research on the ram air concept

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 10-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #22
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Yea, I thought you needed that, since you barely know anything.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #23
always-there

No one cares what you have to say, move on smartass.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #24
Hornung418

Haha you don't even know me? I'm telling you that ram air is not going to net you anything but noise.

These threads never end well. You made a thread about how bad and worthless CAI's are, and then you are looking for one? I think you need to re-evaluate your position on the matter.

I have a Cosmos V2 (DINAN rep) and the Butt dyno says more power from DISA opening to red line.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Last edited by Hornung418; 10-21-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Hornung418 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #25
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
You can't legally purchase this level of entertainment, please continue.
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #26
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Gruppe M is the one of the biggest pieces of shit for an intake, and the fact that you are looking for one means you aren't ready to have this conversation.

Humor me though, what about the Gruppe M's design makes it ideal?
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #27
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
The funny thing is that I thought about being the first to respond to this thread... And then thought, nah, it will just hurt my head.

Look up Iceman's dyno of a long tube CAI. All the evidence you need for CAIs making gains is there.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #28
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
The funny thing is that I thought about being the first to respond to this thread... And then thought, nah, it will just hurt my head.

Look up Iceman's dyno of a long tube CAI. All the evidence you need for CAIs making gains is there.
I'm hoping he'll tell us that less exposed surface area for the filter element and ugly carbon fiber "box" equal a million horsepower.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #29
jared_wiesner

^ :p honestly the way I have my filter mounted down low, I cut a piece out of my front splitter and practically have ram air into my big open filter. Best of both worlds.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #30
sedanpowersc

My Ride: 330i 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Gruppe M is the one of the biggest pieces of shit for an intake, and the fact that you are looking for one means you aren't ready to have this conversation.

Humor me though, what about the Gruppe M's design makes it ideal?
This^. I have the cosmos v2 and the noise it makes is worth it enough for me let alone iceman's PROVEN dyno. You know afe claims like 12whp gains with their intake why dont you get one of those

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

| BB Gen 3 Headers | Cosmos Racing V2 CAI | Muffler Delete | RE Underdrive Pulleys |
| 3.46 Diff | Tein S-Tech | Bilstein Sports | Hawk HPS | ASA AR1 | 35% Tint |
sedanpowersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #31
always-there

Iceman, you did a dyno test with the Gruppe M ? What were your results? And I like how you're calling me out when you previously had that intake. Nice. Very nice.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #32
always-there

The only reason I considered it was because I had in mind it would have a duct that would lead towards the front gills, thus having a better chance to suck in more cold air. I remember meeting a guy at a O'reilly who had a 545i with a very nice CAI. The intake had piece or "duct" that connected towards the front gills, and I liked that idea. I'm not sure if he made it, or if he bought it. What i wanted to do is find a better way to position the intake in such an area of the car where you could obtain even more "cold air". Most intakes will sit under the front fascia/fender in order for them to be effective, which by now we all know. And I know the key is for the intake to draw less heat so you could avoid heat soak, or you'll lose power. It's also been said aluminum/steel intakes absorb more heat vs say, plastic, and the Gruppe M which are carbon fiber. Maybe it was the carbon fiber and the sound that interested me. I hadn't yet done a full research on the intake, so don't get your panties in a bunch. I didn't notice it's lack of structure. You know what makes me laugh? People like you, people like you who think just because they paid a group of guys to "dyno" his car, now feels superior to any enthusiast or any one on this forum for that matter. So based on your knowledge and wanderless shit talking, I'm betting "cai's" are all you know about. Is that it? So what know? Just because you strapped your car on the dyno you feel like Ryan Woon? What's next ? You're going to find someone else to talk shit too? You're just another poser wannabe' wanting to prove himself. I wouldn't be surprised if your little brain lead you to think you could teach Titan Motorsports a thing or two, dumbass.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #33
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
Iceman, you did a dyno test with the Gruppe M ? What were your results? And I like how you're calling me out when you previously had that intake. Nice. Very nice.
I never had that, nor would I install that overpriced garbage on my car. There is a dyno in the dyno thread where a Gruppe M gained all of 2whp. Zoom.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #34
Iceman00

The difference between you and me, is I don't talk out my ass, and we were are all on the same page, with the exception of you. You came in this forum and instantly became rude and dismissive of those who tried to help you. I don't think I'm the one who is trying to be an E tough guy, and I'm pretty sure everyone else would agree.

Last edited by Iceman00; 10-24-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #35
jared_wiesner

This is how I have my long tube cold air intake installed. I basically have the same thing as a cosmos (mine is just made by a different company) In effect, I'm getting ram air + plus all the benefits of a long tube intake. With that being said, I don't know how much ram air will really do on our system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	475330  

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 10-24-2012 at 01:34 PM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #36
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
I had a GruppeM replica with a genuine GruppeM (K&N) filter. I didn't feel any sort of difference with the car. When I put the Dinan on, it was pretty obvious.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #37
Hornung418

Lol this guy with his unnecessary butthurt...Posts a video, says to stay stock, asks a question about a GruppeM (Worthless crap from Japan) and then rages on everyone else because we know more than him and he dismisses us as idiots and assholes. Yeah, good luck in life, pal. Seems like you make a lot of friends easily.

Motion to ban approved.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #38
Hornung418

Quote:
Check out this video on YouTube:

Lol.

Let's stay stock.
Quote:
The stock airbox on the 330i's pretty well thought out due to the ram air induction that introduces cold air from the gills. And then there's hot air from the engine bay you could have from the majority of air intakes in the market- and that's a no-no. So the only intake I could see benefiting from would be the Gruppe M, and I'm not paying 1-2k for it.
Quote:
It would be silly to put a cheap Cosmo air intake and not have the benefit of being able to use the gills.
Quote:
^ Do any of you guys understand this guy? Lol.
Quote:
Anywho, does anyone know of an intake similar to the Gruppe M intake that's not in that price range? Or any intake that'll allow the ram air induction towards the gills' ? I've been searching with no results.
Quote:
What's so funny?
Quote:
Quote:
I'm looking for anyone who knows anything about cars, not those who "pretend" or are posers and have time to be keyboard warriors.
Quote:
Basically, I'm looking for an intake similar to the Gruppe M. Why? Because it uses the same factory concept of introducing cold air through the front gills. Yea I know the Dinan long tube is a good intake, but I'm not looking for that. There's a reason these engineers spent so much time perfecting this. And I hear you lose torque, I don't want to lose that.
Quote:
Yea, I thought you needed that, since you barely know anything.
Quote:
No one cares what you have to say, move on smartass.
Quote:
Quote:
The only reason I considered it was because I had in mind it would have a duct that would lead towards the front gills, thus having a better chance to suck in more cold air. I remember meeting a guy at a O'reilly who had a 545i with a very nice CAI. The intake had piece or "duct" that connected towards the front gills, and I liked that idea. I'm not sure if he made it, or if he bought it. What i wanted to do is find a better way to position the intake in such an area of the car where you could obtain even more "cold air". Most intakes will sit under the front fascia/fender in order for them to be effective, which by now we all know. And I know the key is for the intake to draw less heat so you could avoid heat soak, or you'll lose power. It's also been said aluminum/steel intakes absorb more heat vs say, plastic, and the Gruppe M which are carbon fiber. Maybe it was the carbon fiber and the sound that interested me. I hadn't yet done a full research on the intake, so don't get your panties in a bunch. I didn't notice it's lack of structure. You know what makes me laugh? People like you, people like you who think just because they paid a group of guys to "dyno" his car, now feels superior to any enthusiast or any one on this forum for that matter. So based on your knowledge and wanderless shit talking, I'm betting "cai's" are all you know about. Is that it? So what know? Just because you strapped your car on the dyno you feel like Ryan Woon? What's next ? You're going to find someone else to talk shit too? You're just another poser wannabe' wanting to prove himself. I wouldn't be surprised if your little brain lead you to think you could teach Titan Motorsports a thing or two, dumbass.
because douchebag.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #39
always-there

What brand cai do you have Jared? And how much? I appreciate the pics.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #40
always-there

Iceman, I bet you think your first two posts were helpful. Dude, you were literally talking mess, what'd you expect? I never insulted anyone in this forum without a reason. Sure, I've had arguments here, but it's because of douchebag know-it-all's like you, with the exception of E46Mango. I appreciate everyone here. I just wish we could be adults, instead of kids who want to win the race.