E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Auto leveling problem

Hi

On the way to work this morning, I noticed my passenger xenon headlight leveled hard to the right. I got out and confirmed it was hard to the passenger side. While messing with it at work, I was able to unplug some cords and plug them back and and it eventual went straight, but I don't think it was the cords. I get home and sure enough it's hard right again. Played with the cords again and nothing.

Here's the thing though, through all the cycling attempts, sometimes the fogs would come one for no reason and not turn off when I hit the button. After unplugging the battery, they were fine but the light on the passenger xenon was still to the right. I have the DDM tuning HID kit, but haven't had a problem in over a year.

Any help or tips? I'm gonna try to unplug the fogs and see if that helps.

Thanks

Oh yeah, this is for a 2004 325ci facelift xenons

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Focal E46

Anybody think it might be part 63127176068? CONTROL UNIT XENON LIGHT Does this control the adaptive headlights?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...09&hg=63&fg=05
Old 02-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Focal E46

Bump?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
Are these the adaptive headlights you're talking about? There are auto-leveling headlights which move up and down and then there are adaptive headlights which move left and right.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Focal E46

Honestly, I don't know. They would only move up and down since I've owned the car and never noticed any left to right. They CAN move at least right though because some how it reset and went straight for a few hours and then went right again
Old 02-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
infinite012

Something might have gone awry in your LCM or your adaptive headlight modules. I have no personal experience with this system, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start with taking out your headlight and inspecting the motors to see if all is well with them. Maybe it got dislodged?
Old 02-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
Focal E46

I'm gonna pull both headlights this week and swap over one part at a time until the problem moves to the other side. Yay.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Focal E46

Ok, so when I start the car, the drivers side goes up and down before it levels and the passenger side stays fixed.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
kib

My Ride: bmw 04 e46 330 vert
when you first turn lights they should fliker to ajust them selves if not the arm under the car could
be broken i think there is one on front one on back.if you face a wall with lights on then turn stearing
wheel you shoud see lights move side to side if they are working.
kib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Focal E46

Thanks Kib. For some reason they never moved left or right. I never knew they did until the other day.

But in better news... PROBLEM SOLVED. Word to the wise... if you EVER get condensation in your facelifted headlights, immediately remove them and pull the ALC electronics box: Electronics box ALC uncoded 63127189312 or 63126934171. This IS NOT the control module.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...09&hg=63&fg=05

The design of the headlight will let the condensation trickle down into this "chip" and corrode the pins in the plug. Days prior to the light going crazy, I hit a puddle and had a little condensation. Well it went away and I never thought of it again. Upon pulling the headlight, it was evident as the source.

Sillieidiot has a great write up on removing the headlights. I pulled the headlight and flipped it over. This is where you can expose the part:

The red pointer is pointing at the part. It has three T20 torx screws and unplugs straight out:

Here's the funny part, the numbers on the drivers side box were different than that on the passenger. Hmmm, looks like someone might have had this problem before since the part has been discontinued twice already...

And finally:

Ok, so I put JUST the passenger headlight back in after swapping the part (headlight with original problem) and turned the lights back on BAM! The headlight is straight and narrow again. I went to go scrape as much corrosion off the crappy "chip" and as soon as I touched the middle pin, it fell right off. They were all rusted and luckily, none broke off in the headlight. Now this has only been over the span of a month and it did this much damage.

Now I'm stuck with the decision of putting this "chip" back in the other headlight with a missing pin. I decided to leave it out until the new part arrives and tough it with only one headlight. I turned the car on and both headlights work and they are both straight, so not only did I figure it out, but I get both my headlights until the part arrives!

Last edited by Focal E46; 03-09-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Focal E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Focal E46

BTW, the drivers side ALC box was mint. I also have not drove the car yet so I'm not 100% sure that the headlight will work fine without the box.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
infinite012

You just just leave both of them out. Less electronic crap to worry about breaking.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #13
Focal E46

Update. Drove it last night and the headlight worked fine. Turned the car off, hung out, came back and started it and the headlight was blown on the drivers side (Side that didn't have the electronics box reinstalled). Coincidence? Maybe. I did have the cheap DDM bulbs in there for well over a year now. Once the raining stops or if I clear out the garage I will try swapping the bulbs to see what the deal is.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #14
gergpez

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP IR
I have had similar problems but mine have been with the left/right movement. I have replaced the ALC box, TWICE, and my car is still cross eyed when I turn. There are a few more parts I can replace (Steering angle sensor, but thats $300). I know if you plug in a blown control box, it wont move any adaptive function (this was the case with mine, just had to make sure its level before plugging in). I wouldnt leave the box off as it seals the headlight, but you could remove the circuit board inside and then re install if you really wanted to. Funny that the headlight I am having problems with is the passenger side as well...
gergpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #15
Focal E46

OK, don't run the headlight without the ALC box. You WILL get a headlight bulb warning that, I'm guessing, would need to be turned off at the dealer. If anyone knows how to reset the bulb warnings please let me know.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
Focal E46

Update. The headlight warning light went off. Once I get the ALC box, I'm guessing the other light will go away.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #17
Focal E46

I got the new ALC box in and either the part is defective or I need reprogramming. The new part makes the headlight pull outward (left or right). When I swap the new part, the problem follows. This is bullshit.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I'm pretty sure those ALC boxes require coding of some sort.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #19
hshewsf

My Ride: 2005 330CI ZHP
Were you ever able to fix the problem? I'm currently in the same situation as you and I'm trying to figure out what do to. Thanks for any advice.
hshewsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #20
jaymemaurice

My Ride: 01 330ci, 03 Passat
Dielectric grease might help the seals!

Rain Sensor Retrofit: Here
Coupe Headline Replacement: Here
jaymemaurice is offline   Reply With Quote