E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #21
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicariously13 View Post
I can't really do the manual swap... I drive about 1200 miles a month because I'm in sales so I'm always in traffic. Hence the focus on maintenance.
So you need a reliable DD, which you put a lot of miles and on which your livelihood depends. If this is your only car keep it stock. Buy a toy to modify.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #22
vicariously13

My Ride: 2004 330ci
I want to buy a Mk4 Golf and use that as a DD and turn the E46 into a toy... But I kinda want to keep it NA and get an e36 M3 and use THAT as a toy. I don't know what I'm going to do...

No real mods... just loads of maintenance
vicariously13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
choxor

E36 M3 would make a pretty great toy.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #24
vicariously13

So the consensus is maintenance, maintenance, maintenance, minor upgrades and buy an e36 M3... All right then.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #25
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
If you want to have 2x the fun for 1/2 the money.....

Use the BMW as your daily, go buy a used NASCAR roller chassis (Road race setup) and put a ZZ Goodwrench crate motor in it...
160+ on most track straights, throw away parts that don't cost your left nut, your primary bill will be fuel, tires and brakes.
Juice the compression to run E85 or E100. Roller chassis, anywhere from 6500 to 8000 crate motor 4000 to 6000 for about the
cost of a M3 you'll have a FASTER ride and spend way less to keep it running.

That or drop a 460 alky motor in the M3 chassis....

Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
vicariously13

Trolls will be trolls

Old 10-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #27
choxor

Quote:
So the consensus is maintenance, maintenance, maintenance, minor upgrades and buy an e36 M3... All right then.
Just my two cents. It's your car and all that. I've just found over the years that mixing a DD with tons of modifications forces too many compromises. It was cool and totally bearable when I was in college/really young because most of what I did with my car was social in nature.

I don't DD cars like that anymore because my days are spent sitting in rush hour traffic trying not to spill coffee on my tie. Sounds like you're in a similar situation.

And it sucks when you simply MUST have your DD on a particular day, but something's broken or an install went way longer than you planned. Takes all the fun out of it. Just my point of view on it, tho. And I know it depends on income and all that jazz, just some food for thought if you have the coin to spare.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #28
dreyo27

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Bavarian Auto Parts in in Rancho Cordova by Sacramento. Good guys I use them a lot. I dont know if they do rebuilds, but i know for a fact that they do port and polish... check out their website...
My advice, sell yor E46, and buy a 335i with the N54.
Do the JB4, intercooler, meth etc.
Then you have decent reliability, gret OEM intergration, same MPG as you are getting now. Then a few clicks of a button and your commuter turns into a 450+ wheel HP monster.

Plus you dont have to pay 2 insurance policies, and use your toy as a DD.
ITS A WIN WIN
Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #29
vicariously13

I'm not a fan of the 335i. The e46 and the e36 are the cars most dear to me.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #30
dreyo27

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Quote:
I'm not a fan of the 335i. The e46 and the e36 are the cars most dear to me.
Any particular reason???
they look the part, but they do have some annoying features, but most of them can be codded out with a laptop...

Plus I think you are in CA, and do you want to deal with smog issues?

And if you don't mind me asking, how long does a supercharger last before it needs a rebuild? (i honestly don't know so don't flame me)

And the biggest issue with your plan is going to be picking your compression.
If you want Run boost you want Low Compression pistons, if you want to run NA you need High compression.

So Running your car for 40k after rebuilt and making great power later will be an issue, you will have to compromise one thing or the other...

Also how much power can your automatic gearbox handle???

Sorry to crap you out...
Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #31
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
I don't understand ... Why do you feel it is foolish? I've done it before to other cars and it was just fine. A friend of mine has an auto 2000 S4 with KO4 turbos and a full stage 3 set up and it runs just fine. Not sure what you mean by "foolish"
The transmission failures are widespread and well-documented on bone-stock cars...nearly doubling your power output is only going to make it worse. Besides that, an automatic is never going to be as much fun to drive hard.

The e36m3 idea is a good one. The stock car roller is too, actually, lol. Depends on what you want to do. Auto e46 would be a terrible toy imo.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #32
vicariously13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
The transmission failures are widespread and well-documented on bone-stock cars...nearly doubling your power output is only going to make it worse. Besides that, an automatic is never going to be as much fun to drive hard.
I'm just thinking now about doing some minor upgrades to the e46... Underdrive pulleys, AFE intake/scoop, Borla exhaust and possibly an AA chip. Collectively, I would only be adding about 16-20 solid horses to the wheels with all of those things done. Also, my transmission is in great condition. So is my diff. I'm quite partial to the e36 M3 anyway and that car is a great toy platform. I think that's what I'll do.

As far as the engine rebuild... the most I'll do is probably a complete valve spring/rocker arm/valve replacement, new VANOS system and new stock ignition coils. I don't think I will go with the Schrick cams. We'll see. I've heard mixed reviews on them.

But I think a few of you are right... keep it stock and maintained and it will be good to go for a few decades of reliable driving.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #33
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
I don't understand ... Why do you feel it is foolish? I've done it before to other cars and it was just fine. A friend of mine has an auto 2000 S4 with KO4 turbos and a full stage 3 set up and it runs just fine. Not sure what you mean by "foolish"
Your car isn't an S4. Your transmission is designed to handle 300tq tops. As it is, they fail early. Pushing more power to it is just asking for trouble. then what are you going to do to put the power to the ground? brakes? then what about your subframe, do you know that with the proper tools, it takes about two days worth of constant work to reinforce it properly? how are your welding skills? what do you know about front subframe reinforcements? rtab pockets? how about the rear subframe itself (not talking the mounting locations), how about the 17 bushings in the rear, you planning on buying the $600 tool kit required to press/push new ones in? how bout your oil pump nut? do you know whats required to drop the front subframe? how about fuel and oil baffles?

Do not question. you will not be modding your E46. it's just not happening.

enjoy it for what it is and get another car if you want to go fast.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #34
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I'm just thinking now about doing some minor upgrades to the e46... Underdrive pulleys, AFE intake/scoop, Borla exhaust and possibly an AA chip. Collectively, I would only be adding about 16-20 solid horses to the wheels with all of those things done. Also, my transmission is in great condition. So is my diff. I'm quite partial to the e36 M3 anyway and that car is a great toy platform. I think that's what I'll do.

As far as the engine rebuild... the most I'll do is probably a complete valve spring/rocker arm/valve replacement, new VANOS system and new stock ignition coils. I don't think I will go with the Schrick cams. We'll see. I've heard mixed reviews on them.

But I think a few of you are right... keep it stock and maintained and it will be good to go for a few decades of reliable driving.
I hope you know our engines use hydraulic lifters..................................................... ............................................................ ......................

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #35
vicariously13

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Your car isn't an S4. Your transmission is designed to handle 300tq tops. As it is, they fail early. Pushing more power to it is just asking for trouble. then what are you going to do to put the power to the ground? brakes? then what about your subframe, do you know that with the proper tools, it takes about two days worth of constant work to reinforce it properly? how are your welding skills? what do you know about front subframe reinforcements? rtab pockets? how about the rear subframe itself (not talking the mounting locations), how about the 17 bushings in the rear, you planning on buying the $600 tool kit required to press/push new ones in? how bout your oil pump nut? do you know whats required to drop the front subframe? how about fuel and oil baffles?

Do not question. you will not be modding your E46. it's just not happening.

enjoy it for what it is and get another car if you want to go fast.

Yeah, I gathered that. Upon further research into the topic, I realized that super charging is about 10x more of hassle than running naturally aspirated with simple minor street legal modifications and simply buying a toy-able car. Although, I really do want to get that oil pump nut welded secure at some point. No forced induction on the 330ci. It's just too much trouble.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 PM   #36
vicariously13

Quote:
I hope you know our engines use hydraulic lifters..........................
I haven't yet dove into the specifics of the VANOS system, cams and lifters since that's not on the top of my priority list. Replacing the fuel pump, water pump, sway bar bushings, expansion tank, hoses, thermostat and ignition coils are just some of the preventative maintenance to-do's that are in the very-near future. One thing at a time...

Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #37
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I haven't yet dove into the specifics of the VANOS system, cams and lifters since that's not on the top of my priority list. Replacing the fuel pump, water pump, sway bar bushings, expansion tank, hoses, thermostat and ignition coils are just some of the preventative maintenance to-do's that are in the very-near future. One thing at a time...
no no no no. you're not understanding my point. it's good that you're doing maintenance but it seems your interests in modding these cars is a bit premature considering you don't know the basics of our engines. do you know what having hydraulic lifters means?

it all helps in the end if you know what you are researching/doing. just drive and enjoy. nice luxury cruiser w/ automatic.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #38
vicariously13

Quote:
do you know what having hydraulic lifters means?
So what does having hydraulic lifters mean? Can you point me in the right direction? I've been trying to take care of as much as I can and I'm always willing to learn more. I've only had my 330ci for almost 2 months. For that short period of time, it's already been in and out of the shop 4 times and in less than 2 weeks, it will be back for the 5th time. Before that, I drove a 2008 VW Rabbit and I had that car for about 4 years. Drunk driver hit me... Totaled my poor bunny...

Last edited by vicariously13; 10-23-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #39
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
So what does having hydraulic lifters mean? Can you point me in the right direction? I've been trying to take care of as much as I can and I'm always willing to learn more. I've only had my 330ci for almost 2 months. For that short period of time, it's already been in and out of the shop 4 times and in less than 2 weeks, it will be back for the 5th time. Before that, I drove a 2008 VW Rabbit and I had that car for about 4 years. Drunk driver hit me... Totaled my poor bunny...
It doesn't mean much in this context but you said you wanted to upgrade the valvetrain and I feel you were just throwing part names out there without actually knowing what you're getting into.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...7#post14251457

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 10-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #40
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Quote:
I'm just thinking now about doing some minor upgrades to the e46... Underdrive pulleys, AFE intake/scoop, Borla exhaust and possibly an AA chip. Collectively, I would only be adding about 16-20 solid horses to the wheels with all of those things done.
You'd be lucky to add ~10hp with those mods. These engines don't really respond well to standard bolt-ons. Do the kpeng exhaust with glasspacks and res delete, enjoy the sound, and leave everything else alone imo.
Quote:
just drive and enjoy. nice luxury cruiser w/ automatic.
+1